What is yourtopnews.com
yourtopnews.com is a questionable website that’s running a social engineering scam trying to trick users into allowing the site to show ads. The scam takes advantage of a browser feature that allows sites to send users notifications which appear bottom-right corner. Many legitimate sites use this feature. For example, if you allowed a news site to show you notifications, it would show you important news alerts on your desktop. However, it’s not surprising that scammers are misusing this feature in order to bombard users with ads.
When you get redirected to sites like yourtopnews.com that are running such scams, you are asked to permit the site to show notifications. The site also shows a message saying you need to press “Allow” to continue to the site. If you press “Allow”, you will start seeing many ads, some potentially dangerous, on your desktop. This can get annoying very quickly, and there is no reason why you should agree to allow some weird site you were redirected to to show you notifications. Fortunately, if you have allowed it, you can easily remove yourtopnews.com from the list of sites with permissions. The last section of the report will explain this.
Why are you being redirected to yourtopnews.com
The reason you would be redirected to sites like yourtopnews.com is either because you were browsing questionable websites, or your computer is infected with adware. Certain websites are considered to be high-risk because of their low-quality ads. Those sites are often ones hosting pornography or pirated content. When visiting those sites, it’s recommended to have adblocker and anti-virus software installed.
However, if you are constantly redirected, your computer likely has adware installed. It’s not a serious infection, more a pest than anything, but it’s important to get rid of it as soon as possible. In most cases, users end up allowing adware to install accidentally, mainly because they don’t pay enough attention to how they install freeware. Free programs often come with added offers that are permitted to install alongside. Those offers are usually adware, browser hijackers and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs). To prevent their installations, you need to deselect them.
When you install freeware, opt for Advanced (Custom) settings instead of Default. Advanced settings will make all offers visible, and you will be able to deselect all of them. Simply uncheck the boxes. Once all offers have been deselected, you can continue installing the program.
Pressing “Allow” is essentially agreeing to see ads
This “Allow a site to show notifications” feature is legitimately used by many sites. It allows sites to keep users up-to-date with news, updates, etc. The notifications appear on the desktop, bottom-right corner. Unfortunately, scam websites are misusing this feature to show users ads.
When you get redirected to yourtopnews.com, a pop-up will appear saying “yourtopnews.com want to show notifications”. If you press “Allow”, you would be agreeing to see ads on your desktop. The site also says “Click the Allow button to subscribe to the push notifications and continue watching”. Hopefully, users will know better than to allow some unfamiliar site to show them notifications. If you have allowed it, avoid interacting with ads until you revoke the permission because the ads you will be shown are far from being safe.
If your computer is infected with adware, you need to get rid of it to stop the redirects permanently. We recommend using anti-spyware software, as that would be easiest. If you have allowed the site to show you notifications, you can easily delete yourtopnews.com from the list of sites with permission. Here’s how to do it:
- For Mozilla Firefox. Open menu by pressing on the three bars top-right corner, select Privacy & Security, scroll down to Permissions, press on Settings next to Notifications, and remove yourtopnews.com. You can turn off these notification requests so they don’t appear at all. You can do that by checking the “Block new requests asking to allow notifications” box in the same Notification settings.
- For Google Chrome. Open menu by pressing the three dots top-right corner, press on Privacy and security, press on Site Settings, click on Notifications under Permissions, and delete yourtopnews.com. You can stop these notification requests permanently by toggling off “Sites can ask to send notifications”.
Download Removal Toolto scan for yourtopnews.comTo scan for yourtopnews.com, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like yourtopnews.com and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove yourtopnews.com
- Automatic yourtopnews.com removal
- How to manually remove yourtopnews.com from Windows
- How to manually delete yourtopnews.com from Mac OS
- How to uninstall yourtopnews.com from your Internet browser
- Delete yourtopnews.com from Internet Explorer
- Uninstall yourtopnews.com from Google Chrome
- How to uninstall yourtopnews.com from Mozilla Firefox
- Uninstall yourtopnews.com from Safari
- yourtopnews.com deletion from Microsoft Edge
Automatic yourtopnews.com removal
Using malware removal program like anti-spyware to delete yourtopnews.com is highly recommended. Those programs are created to uninstall these infections and yourtopnews.com won’t be an issue. Simply download the software, start a scan, and delete yourtopnews.com. But if you scroll down, we will also explain manual yourtopnews.com deletion.
How to manually remove yourtopnews.com from Windows
- Click Start (the windows logo bottom-left corner of the screen) or click the window key on your keyboard, select Settings and then Control Panel.
- Press on Add or Remove Programs.
- Locate and uninstall yourtopnews.com.
- Do the same with any additional application that causes suspicion.
- Press the windows key to access start menu and press Control Panel.
- Access Programs and Features – Uninstall a program.
- Remove yourtopnews.com.
- Uninstall any other program that causes suspicion.
- Right-click on Start and select Programs and Features.
- Remove yourtopnews.com.
- If you see any other programs you don’t recognise, remove them as well.
How to manually delete yourtopnews.com from Mac OS
You should not have any problems with removing yourtopnews.com from your Mac device. But in addition to removing the software, any leftover files will need to be removed.
- Press on Finder (the first icon located on the left on your dock) and press on Applications.
- Put yourtopnews.com into the trash.
- Check the programs you’ve installed, and remove anything else you don’t recognise.
- In the menu bar, press Go – Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and put to the trash any questionable and recently-added files.
- Return to Go to Folder, and put in /Library/Application Support. Drag any suspicious and recently-added files to the trash.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and type ~/Library/LaunchAgents. If you see any questionable and recently added files, put them in the trash.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and put in /Library/LaunchDaemons. Drag any dubious and recently-added files to the trash.
- Don’t forget to empty the trash by right-clicking on the trash icon and pressing Empty Trash.
How to uninstall yourtopnews.com from your Internet browser
Delete yourtopnews.com from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Access Manage Add-ons through the menu bar (the gear icon at the top-right).
- Uninstall yourtopnews.com and any other unknown extension by selecting them and pressing Remove.
- Access Internet Options through browser menu (the gear icon).
- You’ll be able to change your homepage to your preferred page in the General tab.
- Open Manage Add-ons by clicking on the browser menu (the gear icon) and pressing Manage Add-ons.
- Open Search Providers (from the menu on the left), remove the one set by yourtopnews.com and set the one you prefer.
Restoring your browser’s settings will likely be necessary if yourtopnews.com is still causing problems.
- For Windows XP users, click start and open Run and type inetcpl.cpl, access Advanced and press Reset.
- For users using computers running Windows Vista/7, click the windows logo, type inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Proceed to the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- For users using computers running Windows 8/10, open Internet Explorer, gear icon – Internet Options – Advanced tab – Reset. Confirm the reset by clicking Reset again.
Uninstall yourtopnews.com from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome.
- Open the menu by clicking the three dots at the top-right corner, then More tools and Extensions.
- Find yourtopnews.com and any other extension you do not recognise, and remove them.
- Access Settings via the menu (the three dots top right-corner).
- Access On startup, you will see that yourtopnews.com set a strange page as your homepage, set it to one of your choice.
- Proceed to Search engine from the menu on the left, then Manage search engines, remove the search engine set by yourtopnews.com and pick your preferred one.
Your browser’s settings will have to be restored if you are still having problems with yourtopnews.com.
- Open Google Chrome, open menu (the three dots), press Settings.
- Go down, press on Advanced and go down until you see Reset.
- Press on Reset and press Reset again in the new window that appears.
How to uninstall yourtopnews.com from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Click the three bars top-right, and click Add-ons.
- Access Extensions, locate and delete yourtopnews.com, as well as any other extension you cannot identify.
- Access menu again, and click Preferences.
- In the Home tab, set the homepage of your preference instead of the one set by yourtopnews.com.
- Open the Search tab from the menu on the left, modify your search engine from the one yourtopnews.com set for you to something of your choice.
If yourtopnews.com is still causing issues, it may be necessary to restore your browser’s settings to default.
- Menu (the three bars) – Help – Troubleshoot information.
- In the new window that pops up, press Refresh Firefox.
- Affirm your choice by pressing Refresh Firefox again.
Uninstall yourtopnews.com from Safari
- Open Safari.
- Click Safari from the menu bar, and select Preferences.
- Access the Extensions tab, locate and delete yourtopnews.com, and any other unknown extension.
- You’ll have to modify your homepage in the General tab.
- Open the Search tab, modify your search engine from the one set by yourtopnews.com to something of your choice.
If yourtopnews.com is still causing problems, it may be necessary to reset your browser settings.
- Launch Safari, press on Safari (on the menu bar at the top), and press Clear History.
- Press on Safari on the menu bar, select Preferences and navigate to the Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- Press Develop (on the menu bar) and select Empty Caches.
yourtopnews.com deletion from Microsoft Edge
- Launch Microsoft Edge.
- Menu (the three dots at the top-right corner) – Extensions.
- Find yourtopnews.com and any other extension you don’t know, and remove them.
- Menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- You’ll need to change your homepage in On Startup.
- Open the Privacy and services tab, change your search engine from the one set by yourtopnews.com to something of your preference.
It might be necessary to restore browser’s settings to default if you’re still having problems with yourtopnews.com.
- Open Microsoft Edge, click on menu (the three dots), select Settings, open the Reset settings tab.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Reset.