What is Xresolver?
Xresolver is a scam website that tries to trick Xbox Live users into paying to remove their IP addresses from their database. The website allows one to check a player’s IP addresses by typing in their gamertag. The IP address provided by Xresolver could allow someone to drop a player from a game and perform potential DDoS attacks. To get the IP address, all users need to do is go to Xresolver’s website and type in the gamertag. To acquire IP addresses of users who are not in their database, the site offers users to install OctoSniff, which would get the IP addresses of all players in the same game session. Those IP addresses are then added to the database, thus expanding it.
IP addresses are not private information, they are visible to every website users visit, so Xresolver is technically not incorrect when it says that it’s not doing anything illegal. However, it is using that public information to run a scam. And it’s not the only website to do this. Xresolver allows users to remove their IP addresses from the database if they fill in their form. Granted, they may remove the IP address but it won’t be permanent. However, Xresolver offers a service that would permanently block an IP address from being added, and of course it’s a paid feature.
For frequent Xbox players, Xresolver may be a true headache. They may be frequently removed from the game sessions they are playing in without any reason by those who essentially use Xresolver to cheat. It appears that Microsoft is not too keen on doing anything to solve the problem. But users should, nonetheless, not buy the subscription that would supposedly block their IP address from being added to Xresolver’s database.
What to do if your IP address is included in Xresolver’s database
If your IP address is part of the Xresolver database, you have likely been playing with people who use OctoSniff. There’s not much you can do about that, though you can request that Xresolver remove your IP address. As the site claims, filling in the form will “instantly remove the IP associated with the gamertag you submit. It will not prevent you from being added again, we use a big network of databases from several different services”. That means that if you play with someone using OctoSniff again, your IP address will be added again. This is how the scam works, Xresolver wants you to get annoyed enough about needing to remove your IP address from their database to pay to be blacklisted. However, even if you were to give in, there are no guarantees that you’d actually not get included again.
You can avoid the issues that come with your IP being accessible to anyone who knows your gamertag by using a virtual private network (VPN) program. If you are thinking of using one, make sure to do proper research to avoid installing questionable ones.
Download Removal Toolto scan for XresolverTo scan for Xresolver, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like Xresolver and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove Xresolver
- Automatic Xresolver removal
- Manual Xresolver removal from Windows
- Uninstall Xresolver from your Mac OS manually
- How to uninstall Xresolver from your Internet browser
- How to delete Xresolver from Internet Explorer
- Xresolver removal from Google Chrome
- Xresolver deletion from Mozilla Firefox
- Remove Xresolver from Safari
- Xresolver removal from Microsoft Edge
Automatic Xresolver removal
It is easiest to uninstall Xresolver from both Macs and Windows devices via malware removal program like anti-spyware. These types of programs can remove all kinds of threats so they shouldn’t have problems with Xresolver. To uninstall Xresolver, you have to download the software and scan your device. If you scroll down, we will also explain manual Xresolver deletion.
Manual Xresolver removal from Windows
- Start – Settings – Control Panel.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Delete Xresolver.
- Uninstall any other dubious program you do not recognise.
- Access Control Panel by pressing Start and then Control Panel.
- Choose Programs and Features and then Uninstall a program.
- Find Xresolver and uninstall it.
- Check all applications installed on your device for anything else that looks questionable and get rid of them.
- Right-click on Start and pick Programs and Features.
- Remove Xresolver.
- It is also recommended to go through all other applications for any other suspicious programs, and if there is anything, delete it/them.
Uninstall Xresolver from your Mac OS manually
It’s not difficult to delete Xresolver from your Mac computer. But we will also guide you through deleting some related files after Xresolver deletion.
- Open Finder – Applications.
- Drag Xresolver into the trash.
- It’s also advised to go through all other programs to see if anything else causes suspicion.
- If you click Go on the menu bar, you will see Go to Folder, click that.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and put to the trash any suspicious and recently-added files.
- Open Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/Application Support. If you see any other suspicious files, trash them.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Drag any suspicious and recently-added files to the trash.
- Access Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/LaunchDaemons. Search for any recently-added or otherwise questionable files and put them in the trash.
- Finally, empty the trash by right-clicking on the trash icon and pressing Empty Trash.
How to uninstall Xresolver from your Internet browser
How to delete Xresolver from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Open Manage Add-ons via the menu bar (the gear icon at the top-right corner of the screen).
- Find any extension you’re not familiar with as well as Xresolver and uninstall it/them by selecting them and clicking Remove.
- Press the gear icon (top-right corner), and select Internet Options.
- In the General tab, change the homepage to a site of your preference.
- Click the gear icon (top-right corner), and click on Manage Add-ons.
- Go to the Search Providers tab (from the menu on the left), delete the one set by Xresolver and set the one you prefer.
In case Xresolver is still giving you problems, your browser’s settings might need to be reset to default.
- If you’re using Windows XP, Start – Run, type in inetcpl.cpl, proceed to the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- For Windows Vista/7 users, press the windows logo, type inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Access the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- For Windows 8/10 users, launch Internet Explorer, gear icon – Internet Options – Advanced tab – Reset. Press Reset again.
Xresolver removal from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome.
- Click the three dots at the top-right corner, then More tools and Extensions.
- Look for Xresolver and any other extension you cannot identify, and delete them.
- Access the menu again and choose Settings.
- You can modify your homepage in On startup.
- Proceed to Search engine from the menu on the left, click Manage search engines, modify your search engine from the one set by Xresolver to something of your preference.
Resetting your browser’s settings may be necessary if you’re still having problems with Xresolver.
- Launch Google Chrome, menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- Go down, press on Advanced and scroll down until you see Reset.
- Press Reset and then confirm your choice by clicking on Reset again.
Xresolver deletion from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Access Add-ons through the menu (the three bars).
- Access Extensions, find and remove Xresolver, and any other extension you do not recognise.
- Menu (the three bars) – Preferences.
- You’ll need to modify your homepage in the Home tab.
- Open the Search tab from the menu on the left, modify your search engine from the one set by Xresolver to something else.
Restoring your browser’s settings may be necessary if you are still having issues with Xresolver.
- Launch Mozilla Firefox, click on the three bars at the top-right corner of the screen, Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Click Refresh Firefox.
- Confirm your choice by pressing Refresh Firefox again.
Remove Xresolver from Safari
- Launch Safari.
- Safari (from the menu bar at the top) – Preferences.
- Access the Extensions tab, find and delete Xresolver, as well as any other extension you don’t recognise.
- In the General tab, delete the homepage set by Xresolver and choose one of your preference.
- Access the Search tab, change your search engine from the one set by Xresolver to something else.
If you’re still having problems, your browser’s settings will need to be reset.
- Clear History by clicking on Safari (the menu bar) when the browser is running, and click on Clear History.
- Press Safari (from the top menu) again – Preferences – Advanced tab.
- Tick the box at the bottom that says Show Develop menu in the menu bar box.
- Click on Develop (on the menu bar) and select Empty Caches.
Xresolver removal from Microsoft Edge
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Menu (the three dots at the top-right corner) – Extensions.
- Locate and remove Xresolver, as well as any other unknown extension.
- Access Settings via the menu (the three dots).
- You’ll have to change your homepage in On Startup.
- Open the Privacy and services tab, change your search engine.
If Xresolver is still causing issues, restoring your browser settings will be necessary.
- Open Microsoft Edge menu (the three dots) – Settings – Reset settings.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Reset.