What is Smartpackagetracker.com
Smartpackagetracker.com is a browser hijacker that makes unwanted changes to browser’s settings in order to redirect users to sponsored websites. Browser hijackers are pretty minor but very annoying threats that set questionable websites as browser homepages, new tabs and search engines. In this case, Smartpackagetracker.com will be set as the homepage. These changes are performed without your permission, and you will be unable to undo them while the hijacker is still installed.
By themselves, hijackers aren’t particularly harmful. However, because they constantly redirect to questionable, potentially dangerous websites, they’re not something you should keep installed on your computer. Some hijackers can even redirect users to sites hiding malware or promoting scams. So even if hijackers are pretty harmless by themselves, they can lead to more serious infections. So the sooner you delete Smartpackagetracker.com from your computer, the better. There’s really no reason why you should put up with the changes it performs to your browser.
If you’re wondering how a browser hijacker ended up on your computer, you installed it yourself, although you likely did it unknowingly. The program was attached to a free program you installed, and you did not notice. This happens pretty often, which is why these kinds of infections are so widespread. Fortunately, you can easily prevent these unwanted installations, and the following section of the report will explain how.
Browser hijackers use software bundling to spread
Infections like browser hijackers, adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) are not viruses, which is why they need users’ permission to install. Software bundling allow them to get the permission without users even realizing it. What happens is minor infections like adware, browser hijackers and PUPs are added to freeware as additional offers, and those offers are permitted to install alongside automatically. They are technically optional but are preselected to install by default. So if users do not deselect them, they install alongside. Seeing as they are purposely hidden from users, they are usually not deselected.
If you want to prevent unwanted installations, you will need to be more attentive when installing programs. The most important part is choosing Advanced (Custom) settings instead of Default. Advanced will show you if anything has been added so you will be able to deselect the offers. You simply need to uncheck the boxes of those offers. If you do the installation in Default, the offers will install alongside the program.
What does a hijacker do?
The hijacker will immediately change your browser’s settings, whether you’re using Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Smartpackagetracker.com will be set as your homepage, new tabs and search engine without your permission, and you will be stuck with these changes until you get rid of the hijacker. The site you’ll be redirected to every time you open your browser will have a search box and offer a package tracking feature. The tracking feature is supposed to be a useful tool which will make users want to use the site, but it’s really not that useful. You can track your packages without installing questionable extensions just fine.
If you were to search for something via the search box, you would be redirected to Yahoo, which essentially makes Smartpackagetracker.com completely useless. If you wanted to use Yahoo, you could go there directly. And while Yahoo is a perfectly safe search engine, if you did not set it as your default, there is no reason why you should tolerate it.
It would be easiest to remove Smartpackagetracker.com with anti-spyware software. Those programs are designed to deal with infections like browser hijackers so it would have no trouble with this one. You can uninstall Smartpackagetracker.com manually, but make sure you delete all linked files so that the hijacker cannot recover.
How to remove Smartpackagetracker.com
- Automatic Smartpackagetracker.com removal
- Delete Smartpackagetracker.com from Windows manually
- Uninstall Smartpackagetracker.com from your Mac OS manually
- How to delete Smartpackagetracker.com from your Internet browser
- Uninstall Smartpackagetracker.com from Internet Explorer
- Smartpackagetracker.com deletion from Google Chrome
- How to remove Smartpackagetracker.com from Mozilla Firefox
- Uninstall Smartpackagetracker.com from Safari
- Delete Smartpackagetracker.com from Microsoft Edge
Automatic Smartpackagetracker.com removal
The easiest way to uninstall Smartpackagetracker.com from Macs and Windows devices would be to use security program such as anti-spyware. Those applications are created to uninstall these threats and ought to have no issue with getting rid of Smartpackagetracker.com. Simply download the software, perform a scan, and delete Smartpackagetracker.com. If you continue reading, we’ll also explain manual Smartpackagetracker.com deletion.
Delete Smartpackagetracker.com from Windows manually
- Tap the windows key on the keyboard to open Start menu (or simply press Start), then press Settings and then Control Panel.
- Press on Add or Remove Programs.
- Remove Smartpackagetracker.com.
- We also recommend checking through all other programs to see if anything else is suspicious.
- Click Start (the windows logo) or tap the windows key – Control Panel.
- Open Programs and Features – Uninstall a program.
- Uninstall Smartpackagetracker.com.
- Look through the applications you’ve installed, and remove anything else questionable.
- You will have to open Programs and Features and to do that right-click on Start and press Programs and Features.
- Uninstall Smartpackagetracker.com.
- We also suggest going through all other applications to see if anything else causes suspicion.
Uninstall Smartpackagetracker.com from your Mac OS manually
You shouldn’t have any problems with removing Smartpackagetracker.com from your Mac computer. However, removing the remaining files will also be necessary in addition to uninstalling the program.
- Press on Finder (the first icon from the left on your dock) and press on Applications.
- Drag Smartpackagetracker.com into the trash.
- It is also recommended to go through all other installed programs to see if anything else is suspicious.
- Access Go to Folder by pressing Go on the menu bar and then selecting Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and drag all questionable files to the trash.
- Access Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/Application Support. Drag all suspicious files to the trash.
- Open Go to Folder again, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. If Any recently-added files look questionable, drag them to the trash.
- Access Go to Folder again, and type /Library/LaunchDaemons. Search for any recently-added or otherwise dubious files and drag them to the trash.
- Right-click on the trash icon and select Empty Trash.
How to delete Smartpackagetracker.com from your Internet browser
Uninstall Smartpackagetracker.com from Internet Explorer
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Access Manage Add-ons through the menu bar (the gear icon at the top-right corner of the screen).
- Click Remove on Smartpackagetracker.com and all extensions you aren’t familiar with.
- Click the gear icon (top-right corner), and select Internet Options.
- If you access the General tab, you’ll be able to change your homepage page.
- Access Manage Add-ons by pressing on the browser menu (the gear icon) and clicking Manage Add-ons.
- Click on Search Providers from the side menu, change the search engine after you delete the one Smartpackagetracker.com set as the default.
You will need to restore browser’s settings to default if Smartpackagetracker.com is still present.
- For users using devices running Windows XP, press start and click on Run and type inetcpl.cpl, open Advanced and press Reset.
- For users using computers running Windows Vista/7, press the windows logo, type inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Access the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- For Windows 8/10 users, open Internet Explorer, gear icon – Internet Options – Advanced tab – Reset. Click Reset again to confirm.
Smartpackagetracker.com deletion from Google Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Menu (the three dots) – More tools – Extensions.
- Find Smartpackagetracker.com and any other unfamiliar extension, and remove them.
- Open the menu again and choose Settings.
- Access On startup, you’ll see that Smartpackagetracker.com set an odd site as your homepage, change it to one of your choice.
- Go to Search engine from the menu on the left, access Manage search engines, remove the search engine set by Smartpackagetracker.com and change it to one of your choice.
In case Smartpackagetracker.com is still giving you problems, you will need to reset your browser’s settings to default.
- Launch Google Chrome, menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- Go down, click Advanced and go down until you see Reset.
- Press on Reset and click Reset again in the window that appears.
How to remove Smartpackagetracker.com from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Menu (the three top right corner bars) – Add-ons.
- Access Extensions, look for Smartpackagetracker.com and any other unfamiliar extension, and remove them.
- Menu (the three bars) – Preferences.
- You will have to change your homepage in the Home tab.
- Proceed to the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, modify your search engine.
Your browser’s settings will have to be reset if Smartpackagetracker.com is still causing trouble.
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the three bars at the top-right corner of the screen, Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Click on Refresh Firefox in the new window.
- Press Refresh Firefox again.
Uninstall Smartpackagetracker.com from Safari
- Open Safari.
- Click Safari from the menu bar, and click on Preferences.
- Access the Extensions tab, find Smartpackagetracker.com and any other unfamiliar extension, and remove them.
- In the General tab, set the homepage of your choice instead of the one set by Smartpackagetracker.com.
- Access the Search tab, delete the search engine set by Smartpackagetracker.com and set your preferred one.
Your browser’s settings will need to be reset if Smartpackagetracker.com is still causing issues.
- Clear History by clicking on Safari (the menu bar) when the browser is open, and select Clear History.
- Click Safari (from the menu bar at the top), select Preferences and access to the Advanced tab.
- Check the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- Empty the Caches by clicking on the Develop menu and then selecting Empty Caches.
Delete Smartpackagetracker.com from Microsoft Edge
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Menu (the three dots at the top-right corner) – Extensions.
- Find and delete Smartpackagetracker.com, and any other extension you do not know.
- Menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- You can change your homepage in On Startup.
- Navigate to Privacy and services tab, remove the search engine set by Smartpackagetracker.com and set it to something you prefer.
If that didn’t solve your problems, it’ll be necessary to reset your browser’s settings to default.
- Open Microsoft Edge menu (the three dots) – Settings – Reset settings.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Reset.