Web companion virus Removal [Explained]
What is Web companion?
Web companion (aka Adaware Web companion) is an advertising-supported application developed by Lavasoft. It is supposed to add a layer of protection and stop unwanted apps from infiltrating your system, however, it is classified as a potentially unwanted program itself. The app uses deceptive methods to spread online: it gets attached to freeware and shareware bundles. Applications that use this distribution method cannot be trusted. Moreover, the app shows users false positives in order to trick them into thinking that their system is infected and that they should purchase the full version of the tool. We advise that you delete Web companion virus from your device and make use of reliable software instead.
How does Web companion work?
The reason why the potentially unwanted application is often referred to as a virus is because users often do not remember installing it. That is because it arrives onto the system through free software bundles. During the installation process, freeware and shareware presents users with additional offers of various apps. These apps are classified as potentially unwanted, because they rarely have any beneficial features. If you do no pay attention to the setup, you add these programs to your device unwittingly.
Web companion is supposed to protect you from various online threats. However, its main goal is to make sure that you spend your money on it regardless of the status of your computer. It will present you with false scan results that will claim that you have a number of issues and infections in your system, even if that is not the case. The app will also show various notifications and ads that will try to sell you this and other products. By exposing you to these ads, the program exposes you to unreliable online content, which means that your online safety is lower with it on your PC than without. That is why we advise that you terminate Web companion virus without hesitation.
How to remove Web companion virus?
You can remove Web companion virus manually or automatically. If you think that the adware is the only problem on your device, you can go with manual Web companion virus removal. If, on the other hand, you believe that there may be other threats on your PC, you should go with the automatic option instead. By implementing a reputable anti-malware tool, you will be able to make sure that you not only get rid of Web companion virus, but also remove other unwanted apps from your device. The malware remover from our site can help you do just that. It will detect all unwelcome elements on your system and delete Web companion virus along with them.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Web companion virusTo scan for Web companion virus, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like Web companion virus and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove Web companion virus
- Uninstall Web companion virus with malware removal software
- Uninstall Web companion virus from Windows manually
- Uninstall Web companion virus from your Mac OS manually
- How to uninstall Web companion virus from your Internet browser
- Uninstall Web companion virus from Internet Explorer
- Uninstall Web companion virus from Google Chrome
- Web companion virus removal from Mozilla Firefox
- Remove Web companion virus from Safari
- Uninstall Web companion virus from Microsoft Edge
Uninstall Web companion virus with malware removal software
You are advised to use security software like anti-spyware to remove Web companion virus because that would be easiest. The application will do everything, as that is what it is developed to do. To uninstall Web companion virus, all you have to do is download the software and perform a scan. However, it’s also possible to uninstall Web companion virus manually, and you could learn how by reading the below given instructions.
Uninstall Web companion virus from Windows manually
- Press the windows key on the keyboard to open Start menu (or simply press Start), then press Settings and then Control Panel.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Uninstall Web companion virus.
- We advise doing the same with all other unfamiliar applications.
- Tap the windows key to access start menu and choose Control Panel.
- Pick Programs and Features and then Uninstall a program.
- Remove Web companion virus.
- Check all programs installed on your computer for other suspicious applications and remove them.
- You’ll need to open Programs and Features by right-clicking on Start and selecting Programs and Features.
- Remove Web companion virus.
- Do the same with any other application that causes suspicion.
Uninstall Web companion virus from your Mac OS manually
You should not have any problems with uninstalling Web companion virus from your Mac device. But we will also show you how to remove any related files after you uninstall Web companion virus.
- Access Finder – Applications.
- Drag Web companion virus into the trash.
- We also suggest checking through all other applications to see if anything else is suspicious.
- Press Go located on the menu bar and then Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and trash any dubious and recently-added files.
- Return to Go to Folder, and put in /Library/Application Support. Drag all dubious files to the trash.
- Open Go to Folder again, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Look for any recently-added or otherwise questionable files and put them in the trash.
- Open Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/LaunchDaemons. Look for any recently-added or otherwise dubious files and put them in the trash.
- Don’t forget to empty the trash by right-clicking on the trash icon and pressing Empty Trash.
How to uninstall Web companion virus from your Internet browser
Uninstall Web companion virus from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Access Manage Add-ons via the menu bar (the gear icon at the top-right).
- Find any extension you do not recognise as well as Web companion virus and delete it/them by clicking on them and pressing Remove.
- Click on the gear icon (top-right corner), and click on Internet Options.
- In the General tab, change the homepage to a website of your choice.
- Click the gear icon (top-right corner), and select Manage Add-ons.
- Go to the Search Providers tab (from the menu on the left), remove the Web companion virus set one and choose the one you prefer.
Your browser’s settings will need to be reset if you’re still having issues with Web companion virus.
- If you are using Windows XP, Start – Run, type in inetcpl.cpl, proceed to the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- If you are using Windows Vista/7, click the windows logo, type in inetcpl.cpl in the search box and press Enter. Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- If your device is running Windows 8/10, open Internet Explorer, press on the gear icon, press on Internet Options, proceed to the Advanced tab and press Reset. Click Reset again to confirm.
Uninstall Web companion virus from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome.
- Menu (the three dots) – More tools – Extensions.
- Find and delete Web companion virus, and any other extension you can’t identify.
- Open Settings via the menu (the three dots top right-corner).
- You’ll need to change your homepage in On startup.
- Access the Search engine section from the menu tab on the left, access Manage search engines, remove the search engine Web companion virus set for you and set it to one of your choice.
If you are still having issues, you will have to reset your browser’s settings.
- Open Google Chrome, menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- Scroll down, click Advanced and scroll down to the Reset section.
- Press on Reset and press Reset again in the new window that pops up.
Web companion virus removal from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Access Add-ons via the menu (the three bars).
- Click on Extensions, locate and remove Web companion virus, as well as any other extension you can’t identify.
- Press on the menu (the three bars top right), and click Preferences.
- Access the Home tab, you’ll see a homepage set by Web companion virus, change it to one you prefer.
- Open the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, modify your search engine from the one Web companion virus set for you to something of your preference.
Your browser’s settings will have to be reset if Web companion virus is still there.
- When Mozilla Firefox is open, access the menu (the three bars), Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- Confirm your choice by pressing Refresh Firefox again.
Remove Web companion virus from Safari
- Launch Safari.
- Click Safari from the menu bar, and select Preferences.
- Access the Extensions tab, locate and delete Web companion virus, and any other extension you do not know.
- In the General tab, remove the homepage set by Web companion virus and set your preferred one.
- Proceed to the Search tab, modify your search engine.
Your browser’s settings will need to be restored if you are still having problems with Web companion virus.
- Clear History by clicking on Safari (the menu bar) when the browser is open, and click on Clear History.
- Press on Safari on the menu bar, click on Preferences and go to the Advanced tab.
- Check the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- Click on Develop on the menu bar and select Empty Caches.
Uninstall Web companion virus from Microsoft Edge
- Launch Microsoft Edge.
- Access Extensions through the menu (the three dots at the top-right corner).
- Locate and delete Web companion virus, and any other extension you do not recognise.
- Menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- In the On startup tab, remove the homepage set by Web companion virus and pick one of your choice.
- Access the Privacy and services tab, modify your search engine from the one Web companion virus set for you to something of your preference.
If Web companion virus is still causing problems, restoring your browser settings might be necessary.
- Open Microsoft Edge, click on the three dots, select Settings, press on the Reset settings tab.
- Press on Restore settings to their default values. Confirm the reset.