Ways to remove Tab Recovery virus
What is Tab Recovery virus
Tab Recovery virus refers to a potentially unwanted program (PUP) Tab Recovery that is often incorrectly referred to as a virus by users. It’s not difficult to see why users would refer to it as such because the PUP uses a sneaky method install, makes unwanted changes to browsers and then tries to redirect users to questionable websites. However, since they are not malicious nor can install without permission, PUPs are generally not classified as viruses or malware.
This particular PUP falls into the browser hijacker category because it basically hijacks the browser. It changes settings and sets its website as your homepage, new tabs and search engine, and prevents you from undoing these changes. While these changes are very annoying, the sites are usually not dangerous. However, the hijacker will alter your search results to include sponsored sites, and those sites won’t necessarily be safe.
There is no reason why you should put up with the changes made to your browser by the hijacker if you don’t even remember installing it. And the sooner you delete Tab Recovery virus, the sooner you can go back to normal browsing.
The hijacker likely used software bundling to install, meaning it was attached to free software as an extra offer. Users often install these offers accidentally, and we will explain this in the following section of the report.
How do browser hijackers install
Minor infections like browser hijackers, adware and potentially unwanted programs are often attached to free software as extra offers because no one would install them otherwise. When an offer is added to freeware, it is preselected to install alongside without requiring users’ explicit permission. The offer is also hidden from users so that it does not get deselected. Because users are essentially tricked into installing these offers, programs that use this method are usually classified as potentially unwanted.
If you want to install programs without those additional offers, you need to pay attention the installation. When given the option, choose Advanced (Custom) settings. Unlike Default settings, Advanced will make all offers visible and you will be able to deselect all of them. We always recommend unchecking all offers, even if they seem useful at first. They usually turn out to be useless hijackers and similar infections, and it’s much easier to prevent their installation initially than it is to delete them after they’re installed. If you don’t want to pile up your computer with all kinds of junk programs, pay attention to how you install freeware.
Is Tab Recovery virus dangerous?
As soon as the hijacker installs, it will attach itself to all popular browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, and change their settings. It will set its promoted website as the homepage, new tabs and search engine without your explicit permission, so you will be redirected to them every time you open the browser. If you try to undo these changes, the hijacker will just change everything again so don’t waste your time. Until you get rid of the hijacker, you’re stuck with these changes.
The hijacker will encourage you to use its promoted search engine but you should not fall for this. Hijackers aim to redirect users to sponsored websites, and to do that, they alter search results to include sponsored content. You should avoid clicking on those results because they could redirect you to unsafe websites, which could be promoting malware and scams. Fortunately, those sponsored results will be pretty obvious because they will have little to do with what you were searching for.
Browser hijackers are known to track users as they browse, collecting information about what they search for, what sites they visit, what ads they click on, their location, etc. It’s not personal information but this kind of behaviour should not be tolerated.
Tab Recovery virus removal
It’s suggested to use anti-spyware software to remove Tab Recovery virus. This would be the easiest because manual removal means you will need to find all hijacker-related files yourself, and that can be very troublesome.
Once you uninstall Tab Recovery virus, you can change your browser’s settings as you like.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Tab Recovery virusTo scan for Tab Recovery virus, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like Tab Recovery virus and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove Tab Recovery virus
- Delete Tab Recovery virus with spyware removal software
- Manual Tab Recovery virus removal from Windows
- How to manually delete Tab Recovery virus from Mac OS
- Tab Recovery virus removal from your Internet browser
- How to uninstall Tab Recovery virus from Internet Explorer
- Tab Recovery virus deletion from Google Chrome
- Tab Recovery virus deletion from Mozilla Firefox
- Tab Recovery virus removal from Safari
- Delete Tab Recovery virus from Microsoft Edge
Delete Tab Recovery virus with spyware removal software
Using malware removal program like anti-spyware is the simplest way to uninstall Tab Recovery virus from both Mac and Windows systems. Security software will quickly uninstall Tab Recovery virus because its main purpose is to deal with these kinds of threats. These applications are simple enough to operate and should easily uninstall Tab Recovery virus. If you scroll down, we will also explain manual Tab Recovery virus removal.
Manual Tab Recovery virus removal from Windows
- Push the windows key on the keyboard to open Start menu (or simply click Start), then select Settings and finally Control Panel.
- Click on Add or Remove Programs.
- Uninstall Tab Recovery virus.
- We also suggest going through all other programs for any other dubious programs, and if there’s anything, remove it/them.
- Access Control Panel by clicking Start and then Control Panel.
- Pick Programs and Features and then Uninstall a program.
- Delete Tab Recovery virus.
- Check the applications installed on your computer, and delete anything else suspicious.
- Right-click on Start – Programs and Features.
- Find Tab Recovery virus and delete it.
- We also recommend going through all other programs for anything else suspicious, and if there’s anything, remove it/them.
How to manually delete Tab Recovery virus from Mac OS
You should not have any issues with removing Tab Recovery virus from your Mac computer. But we will also guide you through deleting some related files after Tab Recovery virus removal.
- Open Finder – Applications.
- In Applications, find Tab Recovery virus and drag it into the trash or you can right-click on the program and click Move to Trash.
- It is also advised to go through all other programs to see if anything else is suspicious.
- If you press Go on the menu bar, you’ll see Go to Folder, click that.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and put to the trash any questionable and recently-added files.
- Open Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/Application Support. If Any recently-added files seem suspicious, drag them to the trash.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and type ~/Library/LaunchAgents. If you see any dubious and recently added files, trash them.
- Access Go to Folder again, and type /Library/LaunchDaemons. Drag all questionable files to the trash.
- Right-click on the trash icon and press Empty Trash.
Tab Recovery virus removal from your Internet browser
How to uninstall Tab Recovery virus from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Open Manage Add-ons via the menu bar (the gear icon at the top-right).
- Click Remove on Tab Recovery virus and all extensions you’re unfamiliar with.
- Gear icon to access menu – Internet Options.
- You’ll be able to modify your homepage to your preferred web page in the General tab.
- Open Manage Add-ons by pressing on the browser menu (the gear icon) and pressing Manage Add-ons.
- Click on Search Providers from the side menu, change the search engine to your choice after you delete the one set by Tab Recovery virus.
If you’re still having trouble, your browser’s settings will have to be restored.
- If your device is running Windows XP, Start – Run, type inetcpl.cpl, access the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- For users using devices running Windows Vista/7, click the windows logo, type in inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Access the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- For users using computers running Windows 8/10, open Internet Explorer, gear icon – Internet Options – Advanced tab – Reset. Press Reset again to confirm.
Tab Recovery virus deletion from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome.
- Click the three dots at the top-right corner, then More tools and Extensions.
- Find and delete Tab Recovery virus, as well as any other extension you don’t recognise.
- Access Settings via the menu (the three dots top right-corner).
- Access On startup, you’ll see a homepage set by Tab Recovery virus, set it to one of your choice.
- Access the Search engine section from the menu on the left, then Manage search engines, modify your search engine.
Your browser’s settings will have to be restored if you’re still having issues with Tab Recovery virus.
- Open Google Chrome, click on the three dots on the top-right corner, open Settings.
- Go down, click Advanced and scroll down to the Reset section.
- Click on Reset and confirm your choice in the new window.
Tab Recovery virus deletion from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Menu (the three top right corner bars) – Add-ons.
- Access Extensions, identify all unfamiliar extensions, as well as Tab Recovery virus, and remove them.
- Access Preferences through the menu (the three dots).
- In the Home tab, set the homepage of your choice instead of the one set by Tab Recovery virus.
- Open the Search tab from the menu on the left, change your search engine.
In case you’re still struggling with Tab Recovery virus, your browser’s settings might have to be reset to default.
- When Mozilla Firefox is open, open the menu (the three bars), Help – Troubleshoot information.
- In the new window that pops up, press Refresh Firefox.
- Click Refresh Firefox again.
Tab Recovery virus removal from Safari
- Launch Safari.
- Safari (from the menu bar at the top) – Preferences.
- Access the Extensions tab, locate and remove Tab Recovery virus, and any other extension you cannot identify.
- In the General tab, set your preferred homepage instead of the one set by Tab Recovery virus.
- Open the Search tab, change your search engine.
If that didn’t fix your trouble, you will have to restore your browser’s settings.
- Open Safari, click on Safari from the menu bar, and press Clear History.
- Safari – Preferences – Advanced tab.
- Check the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- Empty the Caches by clicking on the Develop menu and then selecting Empty Caches.
Delete Tab Recovery virus from Microsoft Edge
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Press the three dots at the top-right corner of the screen, and press Extensions.
- Find and remove Tab Recovery virus, as well as any other extension you cannot identify.
- Access Settings through the menu (the three dots).
- You may change your homepage in On Startup.
- Access the Privacy and services tab, change your search engine.
Your browser’s settings will have to be restored if Tab Recovery virus is still causing problems.
- Launch Microsoft Edge, press on the three dots, select Settings, open the Reset settings tab.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Reset.