Utatity virus Removal [Explained]
About Utatity virus
Utatity virus is a highly questionable program, classified as a potentially unwanted program with hijacker and adware characteristics. It’s not the most dangerous infection but having it installed will bring nothing good either. It will make changes to your browser’s settings, set SafeFinder as your homepage and new tabs, try to redirect you to various sites and show you loads of advertisements. By itself it’s not particularly harmful and is more annoying than anything, but its redirects and ads are a different story. Ads generated by adware will not necessarily be safe and could expose you to potentially malicious content, including malware and scams. Thus, it would be best if you did not engage with any ads until you remove Utatity virus from your computer.
The program is available for download from various sites but you most likely installed it accidentally. It could have been attached to free software as an extra offer, or it may have been disguised as some kind of update. Either way, lack of good browsing and installation habits usually leads to these kinds of installations. Fortunately, it’s not a serious infection and can be dealt with quite easily with anti-virus software.
How did the infection install
The program can be downloaded from various sites, though it is not explained what it is exactly. Thus, it is very unlikely that you installed it purposely. What likely happened is Utatity was attached to some free program you installed, and you did not notice. This is called software bundling, and it’s essentially adding additional items such as browser hijackers, adware and PUPs to free programs as extra offers. Those extra offers are permitted to install alongside the program, unless users manually deselect them. However, because they are hidden, the offers often go not deselected. If you want to make them visible, you need to opt for Advanced (Custom) settings during program installation. Those settings will make anything added visible, and you will be able to deselect everything. We always recommend unchecking all added offers, even if they appear useful at first. If they use software bundling to sneak past you and install, they do not belong on your computer.
The kinds of programs are also often spread via fake update alerts. The fake update alerts are basically ads but are made to appear like legitimate update notifications, and appear on high-risk websites. Those ads claim that you need to install an essential update and offer you a link to get it. But instead of an update, you end up installing a questionable program that, best case scenario, shows you ads. Worst case, you could end up downloading some kind of trojan.
Is Utatity virus dangerous?
Though many users refer to Utatity as Utatity virus, the classification is not technically correct. It’s not a virus, nor will it harm your computer. However, it’s not useful either, and is more of a pest than anything. It mainly has browser hijacker features and changes your browser’s settings. Your Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox browsers will have SafeFinder set as the homepage/new tabs, as well as your search engine. These changes will be performed without your permission, and you will be prevented from undoing them while the infection is still installed.
Every time you open your browser, you will be redirected to SafeFinder. If you perform a search via your address bar or the search box placed in your new homepage, you will be shown sponsored content. The kinds of infections aim to redirect to sponsored sites to generate revenue and income. Those results will have little to do with what you were searching for, and you will end up on completely unrelated sites if you click on one such result.
You may also be randomly redirected to sponsored sites, and will likely notice an increase in ads and pop-ups. If you get redirected, you should close the window immediately. And when it comes to ads, avoid clicking on them while adware is installed. Utatity virus could expose you to all kinds of highly questionable content, including malware and scams.
Utatity virus removal
The easiest way to delete Utatity virus would be to use anti-virus software. The program would find and delete all related files, preventing the infection from recovering. You can also uninstall Utatity virus manually, though that may be more difficult because you will have to find all files yourself.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Utatity virusTo scan for Utatity virus, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like Utatity virus and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove Utatity virus
- Remove Utatity virus with spyware removal software
- Remove Utatity virus from Windows manually
- Manual Utatity virus removal from Mac OS
- How to uninstall Utatity virus from your Internet browser
- Delete Utatity virus from Internet Explorer
- Utatity virus deletion from Google Chrome
- Remove Utatity virus from Mozilla Firefox
- Utatity virus deletion from Safari
- Utatity virus deletion from Microsoft Edge
Remove Utatity virus with spyware removal software
We advise using anti-spyware or some other malware removal software for Utatity virus removal because that would be easiest. Anti-spyware programs can remove all types of infections so they should have no problems with Utatity virus. These applications are very easy to use and should have no trouble uninstalling Utatity virus. However, it’s also possible to remove Utatity virus manually, and you will find instructions below.
Remove Utatity virus from Windows manually
- Tap the windows key on the keyboard to access Start menu (or just click Start), then press Settings and then Control Panel.
- Press on Add or Remove Programs.
- Remove Utatity virus.
- If there are any other programs you don’t recognise, uninstall them as well.
- Press Start (the windows logo) or press the windows key – Control Panel.
- Choose Programs and Features and then Uninstall a program.
- Remove Utatity virus.
- The same ought to be done to all additional not familiar applications.
- Right-click on Start and pick Programs and Features.
- Find Utatity virus and remove it.
- Uninstall any other dubious program you’re unfamiliar with.
Manual Utatity virus removal from Mac OS
Removing Utatity virus from a Mac computer is rather simple. But uninstalling the application won’t be enough, any related files will have to be deleted.
- Press on Finder (the first icon located on the left on your dock) and press on Applications from the side menu.
- Drag Utatity virus into the trash.
- If there are any other questionable applications, delete them as well.
- Access Go to Folder from the Go menu in your menu bar.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and trash any dubious and recently-added files.
- Access Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/Application Support. Put to the trash any dubious and recently-added files.
- Open Go to Folder again, and type ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Drag any dubious files to the trash.
- Open Go to Folder again, and type /Library/LaunchDaemons. trash any dubious and recently-added files.
- Right-click on the trash icon and select Empty Trash.
How to uninstall Utatity virus from your Internet browser
Delete Utatity virus from Internet Explorer
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Press on the gear icon (top-right corner), and select Manage Add-ons.
- Click Remove on Utatity virus and all extensions you are not familiar with.
- Open Internet Options through browser menu (the gear icon).
- If you open the General tab, you’ll be able to modify your homepage site.
- Press on the gear icon (top-right corner), and press on Manage Add-ons.
- Go to the Search Providers tab (from the menu on the left), remove the one set by Utatity virus and pick the one you prefer.
Your browser’s settings will have to be restored if Utatity virus is still causing trouble.
- If you’re using Windows XP, Start – Run, type in inetcpl.cpl, access Advanced and click Reset.
- For Windows Vista/7 users, click the windows logo, type inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Proceed to the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- If your computer is running Windows 8/10, launch Internet Explorer, press on the gear icon, choose Internet Options, access the Advanced tab and click on Reset. Click Reset again.
Utatity virus deletion from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome.
- Menu (the three dots right-corner of the screen) – More tools – Extensions.
- Look for Utatity virus and any other unfamiliar extension, and remove them.
- Press on the three dots top-right and choose Settings.
- In the On startup section, set the homepage of your choice instead of the one set by Utatity virus.
- Access the Search engine section from the menu tab on the left, click Manage search engines, modify your search engine.
It might be necessary to restore browser’s settings to default if Utatity virus is still giving you issues.
- Launch Google Chrome, menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- Scroll down, press on Advanced and go down until you see Reset.
- Press Reset and then click Reset again.
Remove Utatity virus from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Menu (the three top right corner bars) – Add-ons.
- Open Extensions, find and remove Utatity virus, as well as any other extension you do not know.
- Access Preferences through the menu (the three dots).
- In the Home tab, delete the page Utatity virus set as your homepage and pick one of your choice.
- Go to the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, modify your search engine.
If that didn’t fix your problems, you’ll have to reset your browser’s settings.
- Menu (the three bars) – Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Click on Refresh Firefox in the new window.
- Click Refresh Firefox again.
Utatity virus deletion from Safari
- Launch Safari.
- Click Safari from the menu bar, and press on Preferences.
- Access the Extensions tab, locate and delete Utatity virus, and any other unknown extension.
- You may modify your homepage in the General tab.
- Open the Search tab, change your search engine from the one set by Utatity virus to something of your choice.
You will need to reset your browser’s settings if Utatity virus is still giving you problems.
- Open Safari, click on Safari from the menu bar, and press Clear History.
- Click Safari on the menu bar, press Preferences and navigate to the Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- The Develop menu will be visible at the top, press that and click on Empty Caches.
Utatity virus deletion from Microsoft Edge
- Launch Microsoft Edge.
- Menu (the three dots at the top-right corner) – Extensions.
- Locate and delete Utatity virus, as well as any other unknown extension.
- Access Settings via the menu (the three dots).
- You will need to modify your homepage in On Startup.
- Access the Privacy and services tab, modify your search engine.
If that didn’t fix your trouble, it will be necessary to reset your browser’s settings.
- Open Microsoft Edge menu (the three dots) – Settings – Reset settings.
- Press on Restore settings to their default values. Reset.