Smart Searching Tab – How to remove
About Smart Searching Tab
Smart Searching Tab is a browser hijacker that will make changes to your browser and try to redirect you to sponsored websites. It’s technically a browser extension but because of its behaviour, it’s classified as a hijacker. One of the reasons is because it can install without permission, via freeware bundles. It may come attached to free software as an extra offer, and unless you manually prevent it from doing so, it will install alongside. Many users do not even notice it being attached, which is why they are taken by surprise when they find it attached to their browsers. The next section of the report will explain how you can avoid installing these unwanted offers in the future.
Once a hijacker has been added, it will change browser’s settings and set its promoted website as the homepage and new tabs. When you install the hijacker, whether you do it intentionally or not, you agree to these changes. And they will be irreversible while the hijacker is still installed. As an extension, Smart Searching Tab is advertised as a tool that will make searching easier. But in reality, all it does is insert sponsored content into search results so it could redirect you to certain websites and generate traffic/revenue. We don’t recommend you keep it installed, and instead delete Smart Searching Tab.
How do hijackers install
The hijacker is available for download on browser web stores, so it is possible you downloaded it yourself. However, with the amount of similar extensions available, it’s doubtful you would end up installing it yourself. It’s much more likely that it was attached to some free program you installed. Adding additional offers (often browser hijackers, adware, and potentially unwanted programs) to programs is called software bundling. It’s a popular installation method among unwanted program developers because it allows those programs to install essentially unnoticed to users.
When installing programs in the future, you need to pay attention to the process. Instead of using Default settings, opt for Advanced (Custom) when given the option because those settings will make all extra offers visible. You will be able to deselect all of the extra offers by just unchecking the boxes. After you have done that, you can continue installing the program.
The majority of programs, especially the ones you get from the free download websites will have some kind of offer attached to it. If you often install free programs, your computer will quickly fill up with junk programs, and they can be difficult to delete later on.
Should you remove Smart Searching Tab
The extension seems to primarily be targeting Google Chrome but it may be possible for other browsers to be affected as well. Once it attaches itself to a browser, it will change its settings and set its promoted site as the homepage and new tabs. In this particular case, search.hsmartsearching.net will be your homepage. While the hijacker is still installed, these changes will be irreversible because it will just keep changing everything back. Until you get rid of Smart Searching Tab, the site will load every time you open your browser.
The site looks like a regular browser hijacker homepage. It has a couple of shortcuts to services like your email, and a search bar. The extension is advertised as something that will help you search easier but if you were to search for something using the promoted search engine, you’d be shown loads of sponsored results. Hijackers insert sponsored content into search results in order to redirect you to certain sites. Being redirected to random sites is not only annoying, it could also be harmful. You could be redirected to sites that may try to trick you into downloading malware, or they could be promoting various scams.
If you suddenly find that you are redirected to search.hsmartsearching.net, there is no reason to put up with it. You can easily get rid of the hijacker and go back to regular browsing.
Smart Searching Tab removal
You have two options when it comes to Smart Searching Tab removal. You could use anti-spyware software, and that is the recommended option if you have little experience with uninstalling programs. Or you can uninstall Smart Searching Tab yourself. Use the below the provided instructions to help you.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Smart Searching TabTo scan for Smart Searching Tab, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like Smart Searching Tab and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove Smart Searching Tab
- Automatic Smart Searching Tab removal
- How to manually uninstall Smart Searching Tab from Windows
- Manual Smart Searching Tab removal from Mac OS
- Smart Searching Tab deletion from your Internet browser
- Delete Smart Searching Tab from Internet Explorer
- Smart Searching Tab removal from Google Chrome
- Delete Smart Searching Tab from Mozilla Firefox
- Smart Searching Tab deletion from Safari
- Smart Searching Tab removal from Microsoft Edge
Automatic Smart Searching Tab removal
We advise using security program like anti-spyware to uninstall Smart Searching Tab because it is the easiest. Anti-spyware programs are designed to uninstall these infections and should be able to remove Smart Searching Tab. All you need to do is download the software, initiate a scan, and uninstall Smart Searching Tab. However, it is also possible to uninstall Smart Searching Tab manually, and we will explain below.
How to manually uninstall Smart Searching Tab from Windows
- Start – Settings – Control Panel.
- Click on Add or Remove Programs.
- Locate and remove Smart Searching Tab.
- It’s also advised to go through all other programs to see if anything else is suspicious.
- Open Control Panel by pressing Start and then Control Panel.
- Open Programs and Features – Uninstall a program.
- Uninstall Smart Searching Tab.
- Check the programs installed on your system, and delete anything else can’t identify.
- Right-click on Start – Programs and Features.
- Delete Smart Searching Tab.
- Delete any additional application that causes suspicion.
Manual Smart Searching Tab removal from Mac OS
Removing Smart Searching Tab from your Mac computer isn’t hard. But in addition to removing the program, you will also need to remove any leftover files.
- Access Finder – Applications.
- Find Smart Searching Tab and drag it to the trash (the trash icon located on the dock).
- Check all programs installed on your computer for other suspicious applications and drag them into trash.
- If you click Go on the menu bar, you will see Go to Folder, click that.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and drag any dubious files to the trash.
- Access Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/Application Support. Look for any recently-added or otherwise suspicious files and trash them.
- Access Go to Folder again, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Put to the trash any questionable and recently-added files.
- Access Go to Folder again, and type /Library/LaunchDaemons. Drag any suspicious and recently-added files to the trash.
- Right-click on the trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Smart Searching Tab deletion from your Internet browser
Delete Smart Searching Tab from Internet Explorer
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Open the menu (the gear icon top-right corner), and press Manage Add-ons.
- Find Smart Searching Tab and any other unfamiliar extension and uninstall it/them by pressing on them and pressing Remove.
- Gear icon to open menu – Internet Options.
- You’ll be able to modify your homepage to your preferred site in the General tab.
- Open Manage Add-ons by opening the browser menu (the gear icon) and pressing Manage Add-ons.
- Click on Search Providers from the side menu, set the search engine after you remove the one set by Smart Searching Tab.
You will have to reset your browser’s settings if you’re still having issues with Smart Searching Tab.
- If your device is running Windows XP, Start – Run, type in inetcpl.cpl, access Advanced and press Reset.
- For users using devices running Windows Vista/7, press the windows logo, type inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- For Windows 8/10 users, launch Internet Explorer, gear icon – Internet Options – Advanced tab – Reset. Confirm the reset by clicking Reset again.
Smart Searching Tab removal from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome.
- Access the menu by pressing on the three dots at the top-right corner, then More tools and Extensions.
- Find and delete Smart Searching Tab, as well as any other unfamiliar extension.
- Access Settings via the menu (the three dots top right-corner).
- You will have to change your homepage in On startup.
- Proceed to Search engine from the menu on the left, click Manage search engines, change your search engine.
If you’re still having trouble, it’ll be necessary to reset your browser’s settings to default.
- Open Google Chrome, press the three dots to open menu, press Settings.
- Scroll down, press on Advanced and scroll down to the Reset section.
- Click Reset and confirm your choice.
Delete Smart Searching Tab from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Open the menu (the three bars on the top-right corner), and then press on Add-ons.
- Access Extensions, find all unfamiliar extensions, as well as Smart Searching Tab, and delete them.
- Open menu again, and press Preferences.
- You can change your homepage in the Home tab.
- Proceed to the Search tab from the menu on the left, change your search engine from the one Smart Searching Tab set for you to something of your preference.
If Smart Searching Tab is still there, you will need to reset your browser’s settings to default.
- Open Mozilla Firefox, click on the three bars at the top-right corner of the screen, Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Click Refresh Firefox.
- Click Refresh Firefox again.
Smart Searching Tab deletion from Safari
- Launch Safari.
- Safari (from the menu bar at the top) – Preferences.
- Access the Extensions tab, find Smart Searching Tab and any other unknown extension, and delete them.
- You can modify your homepage in the General tab.
- Access the Search tab, remove the search engine Smart Searching Tab set for you and set your preferred one.
Restoring your browser’s settings to default might be necessary if Smart Searching Tab is still causing trouble.
- Clear History by clicking on Safari (the menu bar) when the browser is open, and select Clear History.
- Press Safari (from the top menu) again – Preferences – Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- Press Develop on the menu bar and select Empty Caches.
Smart Searching Tab removal from Microsoft Edge
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Menu (the three dots at the top-right corner) – Extensions.
- Find and remove Smart Searching Tab, and any other extension you cannot identify.
- Access menu (the three dots), click Settings.
- You will need to modify your homepage in On Startup.
- Proceed to Privacy and services tab, change your search engine.
In case Smart Searching Tab is still there, your browser’s settings might have to be restored to default.
- Open Microsoft Edge menu (the three dots) – Settings – Reset settings.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Confirm the reset.