RequestTop adware Removal [Explained]
What is RequestTop adware
RequestTop adware is a minor computer infection that tries to expose you to advertisement content. It seems to target Mac computers primarily, but it’s not particularly harmful. Because it has browser hijacker characteristics, in addition to advertisements, the infection will also make changes to your browser’s settings. It will set its promoted site as your homepage/new tabs, and try to redirect you to sponsored websites by altering search results. These kinds of infections focus on exposing you to advertisement content but they don’t harm the computer directly. However, the ads and the sponsored results may be a different story. You could be exposed to various scams and malware simply by having this adware installed. Thus, it would be best to uninstall RequestTop adware as soon as possible.
You probably are confused about how the adware installed in the first place. What likely happened is you installed free software that had this adware attached to it, and did not notice. Attaching additional offers like adware, browser hijackers and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) to free software is called freeware bundling. It’s a popular method that many unwanted program developers use to spread their items without users even noticing. We will explain how this works in more detail in the following section.
Adware distribution methods
Since users would not install adware and browser hijackers themselves, software bundling is used to essentially trick users into installing them. A lot of free programs come with additional offers attached to them, and those offers are permitted to install alongside the freeware without users even noticing. The offers are optional but are set to install by default, unless users manually prevent them from doing so. But because the offers are mostly hidden initially, users very often simply miss them. So if you want to prevent these unwanted installations, you have to pay attention to how you install programs. When given the option, choose Advanced (Custom) settings to make the offers visible. If the settings display any added offers, all you need to do is uncheck the boxes. You can then continue the installation.
Some of those offers may seem useful at first but keep in mind that they used a highly questionable installation method to sneak past you and install. And it’s much easier to uncheck a few boxes than it is to later have to uninstall persistent infections.
What does RequestTop adware do?
As soon as the adware installs, it will attach itself to your browsers and change their settings. Your Safari, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox browsers will have their settings changed, including being set a new homepage/new tabs. Keep in mind that these changes will be irreversible until you get rid of the infection because it will just keep canceling the changes you make.
The main purpose of these kinds of infections is to expose you to as much advertisement content as possible. Because the adware has browser hijacker characteristics, it may try to force you to use a questionable search engine that generates sponsored results. The sponsored results would be quite obvious because they’d have little to do with what you were searching for, so you should be able to avoid clicking on them.
The adware may also redirect you to questionable sites and show you dubious ads. Adware generated ads are not exactly safe because they are not checked, thus you could easily be exposed to all kinds of questionable content. You may be offered to download some kind of program, or get those fraudulent “You have a virus” or “You need to install an update” ads. Keep in mind that you should never download anything from unofficial sources, such as ads because you’d have no way of knowing what you download. And those warnings about viruses and critical updates you get when browsing are nothing more than scams that want to trick you.
RequestTop adware removal
The easiest way to remove RequestTop adware would be to use anti-spyware software. The program would locate and get rid of all adware files, preventing adware from recovering. If you delete RequestTop adware manually, you need to make sure that you delete all of its files along with it, as otherwise the adware may be able to recover.
Download Removal Toolto scan for RequestTop adwareTo scan for RequestTop adware, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like RequestTop adware and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove RequestTop adware
- Automatic RequestTop adware removal
- How to manually remove RequestTop adware from Windows
- Manual RequestTop adware removal from Mac OS
- RequestTop adware deletion from your Internet browser
- How to delete RequestTop adware from Internet Explorer
- RequestTop adware removal from Google Chrome
- RequestTop adware removal from Mozilla Firefox
- RequestTop adware removal from Safari
- RequestTop adware removal from Microsoft Edge
Automatic RequestTop adware removal
It is a good idea to use anti-spyware or some other security program for RequestTop adware removal because that would be easiest. Such applications are created to deal with these threats and RequestTop adware won’t be an issue. All you have to do is download the program, perform a scan, and remove RequestTop adware. But if you scroll down, we’ll also explain manual RequestTop adware removal.
How to manually remove RequestTop adware from Windows
- Press Start (the windows logo located bottom-left corner of the screen) or press the window key on your keyboard, choose Settings and then Control Panel.
- Press on Add or Remove Programs.
- Remove RequestTop adware.
- Look through all installed programs for other dubious programs and delete them.
- Press the windows key to open start menu and choose Control Panel.
- Open Programs and Features – Uninstall a program.
- Uninstall RequestTop adware.
- You ought to also do the same with all other unfamiliar applications.
- You’ll need to open Programs and Features by right-clicking on Start and pressing Programs and Features.
- Remove RequestTop adware.
- We also advise going through all other applications for anything else suspicious, and if there’s anything, delete it/them.
Manual RequestTop adware removal from Mac OS
You shouldn’t have any issues with deleting RequestTop adware from your Mac computer. But just removing the program won’t be sufficient, you’ll also have to delete any related files.
- Press on Finder (the first icon from the left on your dock) and click on Applications.
- Put RequestTop adware into the trash.
- Look through the programs installed on your system, and delete anything else that cause suspicion.
- Access Go to Folder from the Go menu in your menu bar.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and search for any recently-added or otherwise dubious files and trash them.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and put in /Library/Application Support. Search for any recently-added or otherwise suspicious files and trash them.
- Access Go to Folder again, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. trash any questionable and recently-added files.
- Return to Go to Folder, and put in /Library/LaunchDaemons. Look for any recently-added or otherwise dubious files and trash them.
- You’ll have to right-click on the trash icon and select Empty Trash.
RequestTop adware deletion from your Internet browser
How to delete RequestTop adware from Internet Explorer
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Open Manage Add-ons through the menu bar (the gear icon at the top-right).
- Click Remove on RequestTop adware and all extensions you don’t recognise.
- Press the gear icon (top-right corner), and select Internet Options.
- Access the General tab and alter your homepage to a site of your choice.
- Access Manage Add-ons by pressing on the browser menu (the gear icon) and pressing Manage Add-ons.
- Click on Search Providers from the side menu, change the search engine after you remove the one set by RequestTop adware.
Your browser’s settings will need to be restored if RequestTop adware is still there.
- For Windows XP users, click start and open Run and type inetcpl.cpl, proceed to the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- For users using computers running Windows Vista/7, click the windows logo, type inetcpl.cpl in the search box and press Enter. Access the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- For users using computers running Windows 8/10, launch Internet Explorer, press on the gear icon, press on Internet Options, access the Advanced tab and click on Reset. Press Reset again.
RequestTop adware removal from Google Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Click the three dots at the top-right corner of the screen, then More tools and Extensions.
- Find RequestTop adware and any other unfamiliar extension, and delete them.
- Click the three dots top-right and select Settings.
- Access On startup, you will see that RequestTop adware set an odd website as your homepage, change it to one of your preference.
- Proceed to Search engine from the menu on the left, access Manage search engines, delete the search engine RequestTop adware set for you and set it to one of your preference.
If you are still having issues, you will have to restore your browser’s settings to default.
- Open Google Chrome, menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- Scroll down, click Advanced and scroll down until you see Reset.
- Press on Reset and click Reset again in the window that appears.
RequestTop adware removal from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Press on the three bars top-right, and click Add-ons.
- Open Extensions, locate and remove RequestTop adware, as well as any other unfamiliar extension.
- Open Preferences through the menu (the three dots).
- In the Home tab, remove the page RequestTop adware set as your homepage and pick one of your preference.
- Open the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, change your search engine from the one RequestTop adware set for you to something else.
If RequestTop adware is still giving you problems, it may be necessary to reset your browser settings.
- Open Mozilla Firefox, press the three bars at the top-right corner of the screen, Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Click on Refresh Firefox in the new window that pops up.
- Click Refresh Firefox again.
RequestTop adware removal from Safari
- Launch Safari.
- Press on Safari from the menu bar, and click on Preferences.
- Navigate to the Extensions tab, find and remove RequestTop adware, as well as any other unfamiliar extension.
- If you go to the General tab, you will see that RequestTop adware set an odd site as your homepage, set it to one of your choice.
- Go to the Search tab, change your search engine from the one set by RequestTop adware to something else.
Restoring your browser’s settings might be necessary if RequestTop adware is still there.
- Launch Safari, click on Safari (on the menu bar at the top), and click on Clear History.
- Press Safari (from the top menu) again – Preferences – Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- Click on Develop (on the menu bar) and then on Empty Caches.
RequestTop adware removal from Microsoft Edge
- Launch Microsoft Edge.
- Press the three dots at the top-right corner of the screen, and press Extensions.
- Find and remove RequestTop adware, as well as any other unfamiliar extension.
- Menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- Access the On startup tab, you’ll see that RequestTop adware set an odd site as your homepage, set it to one you prefer.
- Access the Privacy and services tab, modify your search engine from the one set by RequestTop adware to something of your choice.
If RequestTop adware is still giving you issues, it may be necessary to reset your browser settings.
- Open Microsoft Edge menu (the three dots) – Settings – Reset settings.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Reset.