Remove YTDownloader [Explained]
What is YTDownloader
YTDownloader is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that is advertised as a downloader for videos from various sources. It may seem like a useful program to have but there a couple of reasons why it may not be a good idea to install it. First of all, it has been noticed that the program comes bundled with free software, meaning some users are tricked into allowing it to install. Another issue is the tracking, as in the program will collect certain information about your browsing activities in order to generate advertisements. Furthermore, you may see a noticeable increase in advertisements while browsing. Ads shown by questionable programs are rarely trustworthy, so you should avoid interacting with all ads while this PUP is installed. Otherwise, you may be exposed to highly questionable content, including malware and scams.
Several anti-virus programs detect YTDownloader as a potential threat to your computer. Thus, if you have one of the said security programs installed, you may start getting constant notifications about YTDownloader. We would recommend that you do remove YTDownloader if your anti-virus is flagging it.
And if you cannot recall installing the program but find it present, you were likely tricked into allowing its installation. Read the following section carefully to learn how you can avoid these kinds of situations in the future.
PUP installation methods
Potentially unwanted programs often use freeware bundling to trick users into allowing their installations. Freeware bundling is essentially adding additional offers (usually adware, browser hijackers and potentially unwanted programs) to free programs. Those offers are set to install alongside the freeware without requiring users’ explicit permission. If users fail to deselect it during freeware installation, the offer will install alongside. Most users end up not doing that simply because they do not notice anything being attached as the offers are purposely hidden. If you want to make them visible, you need to opt for Advanced (Custom) settings when given the option during the installation process. Those settings will display everything that has been added, and you will have the option of deselecting the offers.
Opting for Advanced and unchecking a couple of boxes takes only seconds and is very easy, compared to the effort you’d have to put in to remove already installed pests. If you don’t pay attention to what kind of programs you install and how you do it, your computer will be filled with junk programs that are difficult to get rid of.
Should you delete YTDownloader
The program is essentially a downloader for videos from platforms like TikTok, Facebook, Dailymotion, etc. The program has a free version and a pro one, the latter of which costing $7 per month. That is quite a lot of money for a program that only downloads videos.
In most cases, these kinds of programs and services are used to download copyrighted content for free. You are likely already aware that downloading such content without permission is essentially stealing. But putting all copyright issues aside, YTDownloader has other problems. As soon as it installs, you will start seeing many more advertisements when browsing. Regular ads are not the problem, but you may also start getting pop-ups and being redirected. You could easily be exposed to highly questionable content, and redirected to sites that promote scams or conceal malware. Thus using a seemingly harmless program could lead to a serious malware infection later on.
Another issue with programs like YTDownloader is how intrusive they are. They essentially spy on users and collect information about their browsing activities in order to generate more personal ads. It will track what you search for, what sites you visit, what ads you click on, etc. The information can easily be shared with unknown third-parties.
If you have anti-virus software installed, and it’s flagging the program as a potential threat, you should allow it to remove YTDownloader. You can uninstall YTDownloader manually as well, although it may take longer because you’d have to locate the program and all of its related files yourself. If you are unsure about where to begin the YTDownloader removal process, follow the below provided instructions to help you.
Download Removal Toolto scan for YTDownloaderTo scan for YTDownloader, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like YTDownloader and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove YTDownloader
- Automatic YTDownloader removal
- Manual YTDownloader removal from Windows
- Delete YTDownloader from your Mac OS manually
- YTDownloader deletion from your Internet browser
- Delete YTDownloader from Internet Explorer
- Delete YTDownloader from Google Chrome
- How to delete YTDownloader from Mozilla Firefox
- How to uninstall YTDownloader from Safari
- YTDownloader deletion from Microsoft Edge
Automatic YTDownloader removal
It is easiest to uninstall YTDownloader from both Macs and Windows systems using malware removal software such as anti-spyware. YTDownloader should be uninstalled by anti-spyware with no issue because they’re developed to deal with such infections. These software are easy enough to use and ought to easily uninstall YTDownloader. However, you may remove YTDownloader manually, and we’ll explain below.
Manual YTDownloader removal from Windows
- Press the windows key on the keyboard to access Start menu (or simply press Start), then select Settings and finally Control Panel.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Uninstall YTDownloader.
- Delete any additional program that causes suspicion.
- Press the windows key to open start menu and select Control Panel.
- Select Programs and Features and then Uninstall a program.
- Remove YTDownloader.
- Check all programs installed on your device for other suspicious applications and delete them.
- Right-click on Start and select Programs and Features.
- Delete YTDownloader.
- Remove any other questionable program you are unfamiliar with.
Delete YTDownloader from your Mac OS manually
You should not have any problems with uninstalling YTDownloader from your Mac computer. However, deleting the related files will also be necessary as well as removing the application.
- Open Finder – Applications.
- Locate YTDownloader and put it to the trash (the trash icon located on the dock).
- If there are any other questionable applications, uninstall them as well.
- Open Go to Folder from the Go menu in your menu bar.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and drag all suspicious files to the trash.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and type /Library/Application Support. Drag any questionable files to the trash.
- Return to Go to Folder, and type ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Drag all suspicious files to the trash.
- Open Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/LaunchDaemons. Drag all questionable files to the trash.
- Finally, empty the trash by right-clicking on the trash icon and clicking Empty Trash.
YTDownloader deletion from your Internet browser
Delete YTDownloader from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click the gear icon located at the top-right corner, and choose Manage Add-ons.
- Find any extension you are unfamiliar with as well as YTDownloader and remove it/them by selecting them and clicking Remove.
- Access Internet Options by clicking on the gear icon and pressing Internet Options.
- In the General tab, modify the homepage to your preferred site.
- Click the gear icon (top-right corner), and click on Manage Add-ons.
- Press Search Providers (from the menu on the left), change the search engine to your preference after you delete the one YTDownloader set for your browser.
If you are still having problems, your browser’s settings will have to be reset.
- For Windows XP users, click start and click on Run and type inetcpl.cpl, access the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- For Windows Vista/7 users, click the windows logo, type inetcpl.cpl in the search box and press Enter. Proceed to the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- For users using computers running Windows 8/10, open Internet Explorer, press on the gear icon, press Internet Options, access the Advanced tab and press Reset. Press Reset again to confirm.
Delete YTDownloader from Google Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Menu (the three dots) – More tools – Extensions.
- Locate and remove YTDownloader, and any other unknown extension.
- Press on the three dots top-right and choose Settings.
- You will need to change your homepage in On startup.
- Proceed to Search engine from the menu on the left, then Manage search engines, modify your search engine from the one YTDownloader set for you to something else.
If you’re still struggling with YTDownloader, your browser’s settings might need to be restored to default.
- Launch Google Chrome, menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- Scroll down, click Advanced and go down to the Reset section.
- Press on Reset and press Reset again in the window that pops up.
How to delete YTDownloader from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Open Add-ons via the menu (the three bars top-right corner).
- Open Extensions, look for YTDownloader and any other unfamiliar extension, and delete them.
- Menu (the three bars) – Preferences.
- You will have to change your homepage in the Home tab.
- Open the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, modify your search engine from the one set by YTDownloader to something else.
Your browser’s settings will have to be restored if YTDownloader is still causing issues.
- Menu (the three bars) – Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- Press Refresh Firefox again.
How to uninstall YTDownloader from Safari
- Open Safari.
- Safari (from the menu bar at the top) – Preferences.
- Navigate to the Extensions tab, locate and remove YTDownloader, and any other unknown extension.
- You may change your homepage in the General tab.
- Proceed to the Search tab, modify your search engine from the one set by YTDownloader to something else.
Your browser’s settings will need to be restored if YTDownloader is still causing trouble.
- Open Safari, click on Safari from the menu bar, and press Clear History.
- Click Safari on the menu bar, select Preferences and navigate to the Advanced tab.
- Check the box at the bottom that says Show Develop menu in the menu bar box.
- You’ll see the Develop menu at the top, click on that and press on Empty Caches.
YTDownloader deletion from Microsoft Edge
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Menu (the three dots at the top-right corner) – Extensions.
- Locate all extensions you don’t recognise, as well as YTDownloader, and remove them.
- Open Settings via the menu (the three dots).
- You’ll have to change your homepage in On Startup.
- Go to Privacy and services tab, change your search engine.
In case YTDownloader is still present, your browser’s settings will need to be reset to default.
- Launch Microsoft Edge, open menu (the three dots), select Settings, open the Reset settings tab.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Reset.