Remove Y2meta [2020 Removal Instructions]
What is Y2meta
Y2meta is a service that allows one to download YouTube videos. It’s one of the most popular websites offering this kind of service and comes up as the first result when googling “download YouTube video”. Like many sites that offer this service, Y2meta hosts a lot of questionable ads, mostly clickbait like “I lost 30kg with this simple method”, or “Beautiful Russian women make the best girlfriends”. Those ads can lead to questionable websites, where you could potentially encounter malware or scams. The site will also ask you to allow it to show notifications. By notifications, they means ads, so by clicking “Allow”, you’re consenting to seeing more annoying ads.
Interacting with any ads shown on Y2meta.com is a bad idea. Most of them are clickbait that promise easy money, wright loss, etc. It’s common knowledge that those clickbait ads lead to scams. If you click on one offering you an easy way to make money, you would be asked to first make some kind of investment. If you click on a weight loss ad, you would be tricked into purchasing questionable items, substances, etc. Clickbait advertisements are never legitimate and are not safe to click on. However, sites can earn good money by showing them, which is why questionable sites like Y2meta display them.
The site also offers an extension for downloading YouTube videos, and you should think twice before adding it to your browser. A site displaying questionable ads and asking for permission to show even more will be even worse in extension form. You will likely star seeing more ads when browsing, or even be redirected randomly.
We should also mention that it’s not legal to download YouTube videos using sites like Y2meta. But if you’re set on using this service, at least do not click on any ads, do not allow the notifications, and have adblocker enabled.
Remove Y2meta permission to show notifications
If you pressed “Allow” when Y2meta asked to allow notifications, we recommend you revoke that permission. You can easily do that in your browser’s settings.
- For Mozilla Firefox: Menu (three bars at the top-right of your screen) -> Options -> Privacy & Security. Scroll down to Permissions, and press Settings next to Notifications. Select Y2meta and press Remove Website. Save changes.
- For Google Chrome: Menu (three dots at the top-right of your screen) -> Settings -> Advanced -> Privacy and security -> Site settings -> Notifications. Delete Y2meta from the list.
- For Microsoft Edge: Menu (top-right corner) -> Settings -> View advanced settings. Press the Manage button next to Notifications. Remove Y2meta from the list of sites with permission to show you alerts.
There is little use in allowing a site to show you notifications so we suggest you always decline. Unless you fancy a noticeable increase in advertisements.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Y2metaTo scan for Y2meta, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like Y2meta and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove Y2meta
- Automatic Y2meta removal
- Manual Y2meta removal from Windows
- Uninstall Y2meta from your Mac OS manually
- Y2meta deletion from your Internet browser
- Delete Y2meta from Internet Explorer
- Delete Y2meta from Google Chrome
- Y2meta deletion from Mozilla Firefox
- Y2meta deletion from Safari
- Delete Y2meta from Microsoft Edge
Automatic Y2meta removal
The easiest way to uninstall Y2meta from both your Mac and Windows devices would be using security program like anti-spyware. Y2meta should be uninstalled by anti-spyware easily because their purpose is dealing with such threats. These applications are quite easy to operate and should have no trouble uninstalling Y2meta. If you scroll down, you will also find instructions explaining manual Y2meta removal.
Manual Y2meta removal from Windows
- Tap the windows key on the keyboard to access Start menu (or just click Start), then click Settings and then Control Panel.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Delete Y2meta.
- Check the applications you have installed, and uninstall anything else can’t identify.
- Tap the windows key to access start menu and press Control Panel.
- Choose Programs and Features and then Uninstall a program.
- Locate Y2meta and remove it.
- Check all installed applications for other dubious applications and delete them.
- You’ll need to access Programs and Features and to do that right-click on Start and press Programs and Features.
- Remove Y2meta.
- We also advise checking through all other programs for any other dubious applications, and if there is anything, remove it/them.
Uninstall Y2meta from your Mac OS manually
Uninstalling Y2meta from your Mac is not hard. But we’ll also guide you through removing any related files after Y2meta removal.
- Access Finder – Applications.
- Find Y2meta and drag it to the trash (the trash icon located on the dock).
- If you see any other applications you don’t recognise, uninstall them as well.
- If you press Go on the menu bar, you will see Go to Folder, press that.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and if any recently-added files seem suspicious, trash them.
- Return to Go to Folder, and type /Library/Application Support. Search for any recently-added or otherwise suspicious files and drag them to the trash.
- Open Go to Folder again, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Drag to the trash any dubious and recently-added files.
- Open Go to Folder again, and type /Library/LaunchDaemons. Drag all suspicious files to the trash.
- Right-click on the trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Y2meta deletion from your Internet browser
Delete Y2meta from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Open Manage Add-ons through the menu bar (the gear icon at the top-right).
- Click Remove on Y2meta and all extensions you do not recognise.
- Access Internet Options by clicking on the gear icon and pressing Internet Options.
- In the General tab, modify the homepage to your preferred website.
- Open Manage Add-ons by opening the browser menu (the gear icon) and selecting Manage Add-ons.
- Click Search Providers (from the menu on the left), change the search engine after you remove the one set by Y2meta.
If Y2meta is still giving you issues, it might be necessary to reset your browser settings.
- If your computer is running Windows XP, Start – Run, type in inetcpl.cpl, proceed to the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- For Windows Vista/7 users, click the windows logo, type inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Proceed to the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- For users using devices running Windows 8/10, open Internet Explorer, gear icon – Internet Options – Advanced tab – Reset. Click Reset again to confirm.
Delete Y2meta from Google Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Menu (the three dots right-corner of the screen) – More tools – Extensions.
- Find and delete Y2meta, and any other extension you don’t recognise.
- Access Settings through the menu (the three dots top right-corner).
- If you go to On startup, you will see that Y2meta set an odd website as your homepage, change it to one of your choice.
- Open the Search engine section from the menu on the left, access Manage search engines, change your search engine from the one Y2meta set for you to something of your choice.
If Y2meta is still giving you problems, it may be necessary to restore your browser’s settings to default.
- Open Google Chrome, menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- Go down, press on Advanced and scroll down to the Reset section.
- Click on Reset and confirm your choice in the warning window.
Y2meta deletion from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Access the menu (the three bars on the top-right corner), and then click on Add-ons.
- Access Extensions, find Y2meta and any other extension you cannot identify, and remove them.
- Menu (the three bars) – Preferences.
- You may modify your homepage in the Home tab.
- Access the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, modify your search engine from the one Y2meta set for you to something of your choice.
If Y2meta is still giving you issues, it may be necessary to restore your browser’s settings to default.
- Menu (the three bars) – Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Click Refresh Firefox.
- Click Refresh Firefox again.
Y2meta deletion from Safari
- Launch Safari.
- Safari (from the menu bar at the top) – Preferences.
- Open the Extensions tab, locate and remove Y2meta, as well as any other extension you don’t know.
- In the General tab, delete the page Y2meta set as your homepage and pick one of your preference.
- Go to the Search tab, change your search engine from the one set by Y2meta to something else.
Restoring your browser’s settings will likely be necessary if you are still having issues with Y2meta.
- Launch Safari, press on Safari from the menu bar, and press Clear History.
- Safari – Preferences – Advanced tab.
- Tick the box at the bottom that says Show Develop menu in the menu bar box.
- Press Develop (on the menu bar) and select Empty Caches.
Delete Y2meta from Microsoft Edge
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Menu (the three dots at the top-right corner) – Extensions.
- Locate and remove Y2meta, as well as any other extension you can’t identify.
- Access Settings via the menu (the three dots).
- You will need to modify your homepage in On Startup.
- Proceed to Privacy and services tab, modify your search engine.
If Y2meta is still giving you problems, it might be necessary to restore your browser’s settings to default.
- Open Microsoft Edge menu (the three dots) – Settings – Reset settings.
- Press on Restore settings to their default values. Confirm the reset.