Remove SearchMainInfo [Explained]
SearchMainInfo is a potentially unwanted application (PUA) which functions both as adware and a browser hijacker: it changes certain browser’s settings/promotes address of a fake search engine and serves advertisements. SearchMainInfo browser hijacker is also known as a redirect virus, and is mainly a Mac infection. Since their main aim is not system problems, they’re categorized as rather minor infections. It isn’t fully harmless, however, since it aims to generate traffic and profit by redirecting you to dubious websites. While hijackers use sly methods to install, they become instantly obvious after. You will start abruptly begin getting redirects to random web pages, sponsored content will be mixed in search results, and other odd behaviour. For users with little knowledge of system infections, the browser behaving weirdly will not necessarily be a sign of an infection. Employing a search engine to research the symptoms or the page users are redirected to generally helps make everything clear.
In addition to redirecting to weird sites, hijackers also change browser’s settings. Your browser’s homepage and new tabs will be altered, and you will be prevented from making any modifications yourself. It’s because they change browser’s settings that hijackers can redirect you. Despite the fact that many users believe hijackers to be malicious software or viruses, they are not, which means they need your permission to install. It is users themselves that allow them to install, even if they don’t do it purposely. Pests like hijackers, adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) are added to free programs as additional items, and when users install said freeware, they end up installing the items that have been added as well. Preventing these unnecessary installation isn’t difficult, and the proceeding section of the article will clarify how to do it.
The sooner you remove SearchMainInfo, the better, even if it is not considered to be a severe infection. In addition to you not being able to browse as normal, the hijacker will likely expose you to malicious software, scams and other highly unreliable content.
How are hijackers installed
We have mentioned this before, but free software is usually the reason hijackers are able to install. This is referred to bundling software, and it involves adding additional offers (hijackers, adware, etc) to free programs. Users are generally not informed about the items but they’re set to install alongside, which is why program bundling is quite frowned upon. The installations are rather easily stoppable, however, if you follow how you install software.
Files related to the SearchMainInfo adware that need to be removed:
- ~/Library/Application Support/com.SearchMainInfo/SearchMainInfo
- ~/Library/Application Support/com.SearchMainInfoDaemon/SearchMainInfo
Selecting Advanced (Custom) settings is essential during freeware installation. Otherwise, the offers will remain hidden. Advanced will give you the option of deselecting everything, as well as unhide all offers. It is sufficient to just uncheck those boxes. Avoiding these unwanted installations does not take a long time as you just have to deselect a box, while getting rid of already installed threats is increasingly more time consuming. And actually paying attention to how you’re installing programs will prevent your computer from being filled with junk programs.
More details about the hijacker
Since they take over frequently used browsers like Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, and then cause redirects to weird sites, a hijacker infection will become noticeable instantly. It will alter your homepage and new tabs to its promoted page and you will be led to it every time you open your browser. Your browser will also have a different search engine. Whenever you search using your browser address bar, the hijacker will redirect you to its promoted site and display you altered search results. Sponsored content will be inserted among the valid results. By redirecting you to certain sites, hijackers could generate traffic and profit. Being redirected to unknown, potentially harmful web pages is both annoying and potentially harmful for the system. Avoid engaging with any sponsored or advertisement content until you delete the hijacker. It’s rather possible that the pages you will be led to will be unsafe because hijackers don’t ensure that the sites are secure. The websites the hijacker redirects you to to may host malicious software or advertise some type of scam. It’s a bad idea to keep a hijacker installed because while they might not do direct damage to your system, do not underestimate them.
The hijacker will also collect information about you, like what you search for, what type of content you engage with, the pages you visit or frequent, your IP address, etc, it’s basically spying on you. It wouldn’t be unusual for hijackers to share that information with third-parties as well, which is unlikely to be something you want.
In short, the hijacker is considered to be pretty disruptive because it installs unauthorized, it makes unnecessary browser changes, and redirects to potentially harmful websites. SearchMainInfo removal is necessary, and the sooner you do it the better.
Ways you can remove SearchMainInfo from your Mac
It’s easiest to remove SearchMainInfo by using spyware removal software. The anti-spyware software will guarantee that the infection is removed successfully. Manual SearchMainInfo deletion isn’t impossible, as long as you make sure all hijacker components are gone. If you successfully delete SearchMainInfo, you shouldn’t have any issues restoring your browser’s settings.
Download Removal Toolto scan for SearchMainInfoTo scan for SearchMainInfo, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like SearchMainInfo and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove SearchMainInfo
- Delete SearchMainInfo with malware removal software
- How to manually uninstall SearchMainInfo from Windows
- Delete SearchMainInfo from your Mac OS manually
- How to remove SearchMainInfo from your Internet browser
- Uninstall SearchMainInfo from Internet Explorer
- How to uninstall SearchMainInfo from Google Chrome
- Delete SearchMainInfo from Mozilla Firefox
- SearchMainInfo deletion from Safari
- Delete SearchMainInfo from Microsoft Edge
Delete SearchMainInfo with malware removal software
You’re suggested to use anti-spyware or some other malware removal software for SearchMainInfo removal because it’s the easiest. Security software ought to delete SearchMainInfo because it is developed to deal with these types of infections. To delete SearchMainInfo, you need to download the software and scan your system. However, it is also possible to delete SearchMainInfo manually, and we’ll explain in the below provided instructions.
How to manually uninstall SearchMainInfo from Windows
- Access Control Panel by pressing Start (the windows logo bottom-left corner of the screen) and then Settings.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Remove SearchMainInfo.
- Uninstall any other program that causes suspicion.
- Click Start (the windows logo) or press the windows key – Control Panel.
- Open Programs and Features – Uninstall a program.
- Locate SearchMainInfo and delete it.
- We also suggest going through all other applications to see if anything else is suspicious.
- You will have to access Programs and Features by right-clicking on Start and selecting Programs and Features.
- Locate SearchMainInfo and uninstall it.
- Do the same with any additional program that causes suspicion.
Delete SearchMainInfo from your Mac OS manually
It is pretty easy to uninstall SearchMainInfo from your Mac computer. But in addition to removing the application, any related files will need to be removed.
- Press on Finder (the first icon from the left on your dock) and press on Applications.
- In Applications, locate SearchMainInfo and put it into the trash or you can right-click on the application and press Move to Trash.
- Look through all installed programs for anything else that seems suspicious and get rid of them.
- Click Go located on the menu bar and then Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and drag any questionable files to the trash.
- Open Go to Folder again, and type /Library/Application Support. If you note any other dubious files, trash them.
- Return to Go to Folder, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. trash any questionable and recently-added files.
- Access Go to Folder again, and type /Library/LaunchDaemons. Look for any recently-added or otherwise questionable files and trash them.
- Right-click on the trash icon and select Empty Trash.
How to remove SearchMainInfo from your Internet browser
Uninstall SearchMainInfo from Internet Explorer
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Click the gear icon at the top-right corner, and select Manage Add-ons.
- Click Remove on SearchMainInfo and all extensions you’re unfamiliar with.
- Access Internet Options via browser menu (the gear icon).
- If you open the General tab, you’ll be able to alter your homepage to a site of your preference.
- Press on the gear icon (top-right corner), and press on Manage Add-ons.
- Click Search Providers (from the menu on the left), set the search engine to your preferred one after you delete the one SearchMainInfo set as the default.
Your browser’s settings will have to be reset if SearchMainInfo is still there.
- For Windows XP users, click start and click on Run and put in inetcpl.cpl, access the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- For Windows Vista/7 users, click the windows logo, type in inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- For users using computers operating Windows 8/10, launch Internet Explorer, press on the gear icon, press on Internet Options, proceed to the Advanced tab and click on Reset. Confirm the reset by clicking Reset again.
How to uninstall SearchMainInfo from Google Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Menu (the three dots) – More tools – Extensions.
- Locate and delete SearchMainInfo, as well as any other unknown extension.
- Access the menu again and press on Settings.
- You will have to modify your homepage in On startup.
- Access the Search engine section from the menu tab on the left, click Manage search engines, remove the search engine SearchMainInfo set for you and change it to one of your preference.
In case you’re still struggling with SearchMainInfo, you will have to reset your browser’s settings to default.
- Launch Google Chrome, menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- Scroll down, press on Advanced and scroll down until you see Reset.
- Click Reset and affirm your choice.
Delete SearchMainInfo from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Open Add-ons via the menu (the three bars top-right corner).
- Click on Extensions, find and remove SearchMainInfo, and any other extension you cannot identify.
- Open Preferences via the menu (the three dots).
- You’ll have to change your homepage in the Home tab.
- Go to the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, change your search engine from the one set by SearchMainInfo to something of your preference.
If SearchMainInfo is still giving you issues, resetting your browser settings will be necessary.
- When Mozilla Firefox is open, access the menu (the three bars), Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Click on Refresh Firefox in the new window.
- Click Refresh Firefox again.
SearchMainInfo deletion from Safari
- Open Safari.
- Safari (from the menu bar at the top) – Preferences.
- Access the Extensions tab, identify all unfamiliar extensions, as well as SearchMainInfo, and delete them.
- You will have to change your homepage in the General tab.
- Go to the Search tab, modify your search engine from the one SearchMainInfo set for you to something else.
You might have to reset your browser’s settings if SearchMainInfo is still giving you trouble.
- Open Safari, click on Safari (on the menu bar at the top), and click on Clear History.
- Safari – Preferences – Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- Click on Develop (on the menu bar) and select Empty Caches.
Delete SearchMainInfo from Microsoft Edge
- Launch Microsoft Edge.
- Access Extensions through the menu (the three dots at the top-right corner).
- Find and remove SearchMainInfo, and any other extension you can’t identify.
- Open menu (the three dots), click Settings.
- You’ll have to modify your homepage in On Startup.
- Open the Privacy and services tab, change your search engine.
In case SearchMainInfo is still giving you issues, it will be necessary to reset your browser’s settings to default.
- Open Microsoft Edge, open menu (the three dots), select Settings, open the Reset settings tab.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Confirm the reset.