Remove Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker
What is Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker
Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker is a minor computer infection that changes browser’s settings. Usually, hijackers change browser’s settings and set certain questionable websites as homepages and new tabs, as well as force users to use unknown search engines. However, this particular hijacker doesn’t make such noticeable changes. Whenever users perform a search via their browser’s address bar, they will first be redirected to keysearchs.com and then to either Google or Bing. The redirection happens very quickly so not all users will necessarily notice it happening. This may allow the hijacker to remain installed for a long time.
The hijacker isn’t malicious, nor will it directly harm your computer. However, their main intention is to redirect users to sponsored websites by modifying search results. The sites hijackers redirect to might not always be safe, so while hijackers are relatively harmless by themselves, the redirects may not be. Hijackers also track your browsing. They don’t record personal information but they do track what sites you visit, what you search, your IP address etc. Furthermore, some hijackers have adware characteristics, which means they may redirect to highly questionable websites and expose you to loads of ads. There is no reason why you should keep the hijacker installed, thus the sooner you delete Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker, the better.
If a browser hijacker is installed on your computer, you are likely unaware of how they enter a computer. They use the software bundling method, meaning they come attached to free software as extra offers. If you don’t manually deselect the offers, they will be permitted to install alongside automatically.
How to prevent browser hijackers from installing?
Browser hijackers install via software bundling. It’s a rather sneaky method that is popular among unwanted program developers because it allows programs to install without requiring explicit permission from users. Programs that you download from those free download websites often come with added offers. They’re attached in a way that allows them to install alongside automatically, unless users manually deselect them. But the offers are hidden in the beginning so many users simply do not notice them, thus are unable to deselect anything.
In order to prevent unwanted offers from installing alongside freeware, always opt for Advanced (Custom) settings during installation. Those settings will make all offers visible, and you will be able to deselect everything. If Advanced settings show that something has been added, all you need to do is uncheck the boxes of those offers. Only when you have done that should you continue the installation.
The majority of free programs will come with these offers, and if you don’t deselect them, your computer will quickly fill up with junk programs that are difficult to get rid of. And it’s much easier to uncheck a couple of boxes than it is to uninstall persistent programs.
What does a hijacker do?
The majority of browser hijackers are very noticeable infections because they change browser’s settings. They change the homepage, new tabs and set a different homepage. This usually affects all popular browsers, including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. However, this hijacker appears to not be so obvious. It doesn’t set a homepage but it does force users to visit keysearchs.com when they perform a search via browser address bar. When you do a search, you’ll first be redirected to keysearchs.com and then to either Bing or Google. You will not be able to change your browser’s settings until you uninstall Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker because the hijacker will prevent you from doing it.
If you notice this hijacker installed on your computer, avoid clicking on any ads. Hijackers sometimes have adware features and can cause random redirects and pop-ups. These kinds of ads aren’t safe to interact with because they may show scam content or promote malware.
The hijacker will also track your browser, and record what sites you visit, what you search for, your IP address, etc. This information isn’t anything personal, but it’s still intrusive behavior that you shouldn’t’ put up with.
Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker removal
You should be able to remove Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker fairly easily. If you are not familiar with how to uninstall programs, you can use the below provided instructions to help you. Once the hijacker is gone, you will be able to change your browser’s settings as you want.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Searchkey APP Browser HijackerTo scan for Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker
- Uninstall Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker with anti-spyware software
- Uninstall Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker from Windows manually
- Remove Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker from your Mac OS manually
- How to delete Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker from your Internet browser
- Delete Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker from Internet Explorer
- How to delete Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker from Google Chrome
- Uninstall Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker from Mozilla Firefox
- Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker deletion from Safari
- Uninstall Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker from Microsoft Edge
Uninstall Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker with anti-spyware software
Using malware removal software like anti-spyware is the simplest way to uninstall Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker from both Mac and Windows systems. Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker should be uninstalled by anti-spyware easily because their aim is dealing with these types of infections. These software are very easy to operate and should easily uninstall Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker. However, you may remove Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker manually, and we will explain below.
Uninstall Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker from Windows manually
- Push the windows key on the keyboard to access Start menu (or simply click Start), then press Settings and then Control Panel.
- Click on Add or Remove Programs.
- Find and uninstall Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker.
- Check through the applications you have installed, and uninstall anything else you don’t recognise.
- Open Control Panel by pressing Start and then Control Panel.
- Access Programs and Features – Uninstall a program.
- Remove Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker.
- If you see any other applications you do not recognise, remove them as well.
- Right-click on Start – Programs and Features.
- Delete Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker.
- Uninstall any other questionable program you don’t recognise.
Remove Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker from your Mac OS manually
It’s not complicated to remove Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker from your Mac. But we will also guide you through removing some remaining files after you delete Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker.
- Press on Finder (the first icon located on the left on your dock) and select Applications from the side menu.
- Drag Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker into the trash.
- We also advise going through all other applications to see if anything else causes suspicion.
- Access Go to Folder by clicking Go on the menu bar and then pressing on Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and drag any questionable files to the trash.
- Return to Go to Folder, and type /Library/Application Support. Search for any recently-added or otherwise questionable files and put them in the trash.
- Open Go to Folder again, and type ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Drag any suspicious files to the trash.
- Return to Go to Folder, and type /Library/LaunchDaemons. If Any recently-added files look suspicious, trash them.
- Finally, empty the trash which you may do by right-clicking on the trash icon and clicking Empty Trash.
How to delete Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker from your Internet browser
Delete Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Access the menu (the gear icon top-right corner), and choose Manage Add-ons.
- Uninstall Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker and any other extension you cannot identify by selecting them and pressing Remove.
- Access the browser menu (the gear icon) and pick Internet Options.
- Open the General tab and alter your homepage to a web page of your choice.
- Open Manage Add-ons by pressing on the browser menu (the gear icon) and selecting Manage Add-ons.
- Go to the Search Providers tab (from the menu on the left), remove the Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker set one and set the one you prefer.
If you’re still having issues, your browser’s settings will have to be reset.
- If you are using Windows XP, Start – Run, type inetcpl.cpl, access the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- If your device is running Windows Vista/7, click the windows logo, type in inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Access the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- For users using computers running Windows 8/10, open Internet Explorer, gear icon – Internet Options – Advanced tab – Reset. Confirm the reset by clicking Reset again.
How to delete Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome.
- Access the menu by pressing on the three dots at the top-right corner, then More tools and Extensions.
- Locate and delete Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker, and any other extension you do not know.
- Open the menu again and choose Settings.
- In the On startup section, delete the site Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker set as your homepage and choose your preferred one.
- Open the Search engine section from the menu on the left, access Manage search engines, change your search engine.
In case Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker is still present, your browser’s settings might have to be restored to default.
- Launch Google Chrome, press the three dots on the top-right corner, open Settings.
- Scroll down, press on Advanced and scroll down until you see Reset.
- Press on Reset and confirm your choice in the warning window.
Uninstall Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Access Add-ons via the menu (the three bars).
- Open Extensions, look for Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker and any other unknown extension, and remove them.
- Open menu again, and press Preferences.
- You’ll have to change your homepage in the Home tab.
- Access the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, change your search engine.
It might be necessary to restore your browser’s settings if Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker is still present.
- Menu (the three bars) – Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- Click Refresh Firefox again.
Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker deletion from Safari
- Launch Safari.
- Safari (from the menu bar at the top) – Preferences.
- Access the Extensions tab, look for Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker and any other unknown extension, and remove them.
- You can modify your homepage in the General tab.
- Open the Search tab, modify your search engine.
If Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker is still causing you problems, your browser’s settings may need to be reset to default.
- Clear History by pressing on Safari (the menu bar) when the browser is open, and select Clear History.
- Click Safari on the menu bar, click on Preferences and go to the Advanced tab.
- Check the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- Empty the Caches by pressing on the Develop menu and then pressing on Empty Caches.
Uninstall Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker from Microsoft Edge
- Launch Microsoft Edge.
- Press the three dots at the top-right corner of the screen, and press Extensions.
- Find and remove Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker, and any other unknown extension.
- Click on menu (the three dots), click Settings.
- You may change your homepage in On Startup.
- Access the Privacy and services tab, delete the search engine Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker set for you and choose your preferred one.
Restoring your browser’s settings to default might be necessary if you’re still having problems with Searchkey APP Browser Hijacker.
- Open Microsoft Edge, open menu (the three dots), select Settings, open the Reset settings tab.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Reset.