Remove SearchConvertor [Explained]
What is SearchConvertor
SearchConvertor is a generic browser hijacker that makes changes to your browser without permission and tries to redirect you to sponsored sites. It’s a very annoying infection that will set portal.searchconvertor.com as your homepage and new tabs, and force you to use a search engine you did not choose.
SearchConvertor has a few features like a PDF converter or a calculator but is generally useless so it is very unlikely that you installed the extension yourself. The hijacker likely installed alongside some free program you were installing, and you did not notice it attached. That is nothing unusual because whatever comes attached to free programs is purposely hidden to prevent users from deselecting it. This method is referred to as software bundling, and it’s quite frowned upon because it allows programs to install sneakily, without users even noticing. However, you can easily avoid these unwanted installations, and we will explain in the following section of the report.
It should be mentioned that SearchConvertor is not a malicious infection, and there is no need to worry about it doing damage. However, it’s not entirely harmless because it changes your browser’s settings and tries to redirect you to sponsored sites in order to generate traffic/revenue. We strongly recommend you delete SearchConvertor as soon as possible.
How does a browser hijacker install
Browser hijackers, adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) come attached to free software as extra offers and can install alongside without requiring additional permissions from users. This is called software bundling, and it’s a popular method among unwanted program developers. The offers are optional but they are hidden initially, to prevent users from stopping their installation. But as long as you know how, you will be able to easily stop unwanted offers from installing alongside freeware.
You need to pay close attention when installing programs and read the displayed information. When given the option, choose Advanced (Custom) settings instead of Default. If you choose Default, all offers will be hidden and permitted to install alongside the program. Advanced, on the other hand, will make all offers visible and allow you to deselect everything. All you really need to do is uncheck the boxes of all offers. Once you do that, you can install the freeware without worrying that something will install alongside it.
While serious infections don’t spread via freeware bundles, you can pick up some pesky ones that are difficult to get rid of once installed. So if you want to save yourself some time and effort, always deselect whatever has been added to the program.
Should you delete SearchConvertor
When the hijacker installs, it will change your browser’s settings and set portal.searchconvertor.com as your homepage/new tabs. Your default search engine will also be changed. Once these changes have been implemented, you will be unable to undo them while the hijacker remains installed. Until you remove SearchConvertor, your browser will load the hijacker’s site whenever you open your browser.
The site that is set as your homepage will have a couple of features, such as a PDF converter, currency and cryptocurrency exchange, and a calculator, as well as search box. All of the features are easily accessible without the hijacker so they’re not exactly useful. If you use the search engine, you will be redirected to a third-party site and then to Yahoo search. The search results will include many sponsored results and ads, as you’ve likely already noticed if you used it. We recommend avoiding clicking on any of them because you could be redirected to potentially dangerous sites. And while Yahoo is a legitimate search engine, you can access it directly if you want to use it. There is no need to use a questionable third-party site.
Keep in mind that the hijacker may track your browsing. It’s likely recording what you search for, what sites you visit, your IP address, etc. This information is often shared with various third-parties.
The easiest way to uninstall SearchConvertor would be to use anti-spyware software. Because these kinds of infections can be quite persistent, it is easier to remove them with anti-spyware software. You can try to remove SearchConvertor manually, and you can find instructions below this report if you are unsure about what to do.
Download Removal Toolto scan for SearchConvertorTo scan for SearchConvertor, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like SearchConvertor and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove SearchConvertor
- Automatic SearchConvertor removal
- How to manually remove SearchConvertor from Windows
- Manual SearchConvertor removal from Mac OS
- How to uninstall SearchConvertor from your Internet browser
- Remove SearchConvertor from Internet Explorer
- Delete SearchConvertor from Google Chrome
- SearchConvertor removal from Mozilla Firefox
- SearchConvertor removal from Safari
- SearchConvertor deletion from Microsoft Edge
Automatic SearchConvertor removal
Using security program like anti-spyware to remove SearchConvertor is strongly recommended. The program will do everything, as that’s what it is designed to do. To delete SearchConvertor, you need to download the software and start a scan. But if you scroll down, we’ll also explain manual SearchConvertor deletion.
How to manually remove SearchConvertor from Windows
- Access Control Panel by clicking Start (the windows logo bottom-left corner of the screen) and then Settings.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Locate and remove SearchConvertor.
- Check through all your installed applications, and delete anything else questionable.
- Press Start (the windows logo) or tap the windows key – Control Panel.
- Access Programs and Features – Uninstall a program.
- Locate SearchConvertor and delete it.
- If there are any other applications you do not recognise, delete them as well.
- Right-click on Start and select Programs and Features.
- Remove SearchConvertor.
- It is also recommended to go through all other programs to see if anything else causes suspicion.
Manual SearchConvertor removal from Mac OS
You shouldn’t have any issues with removing SearchConvertor from your Mac device. But simply uninstalling the application will not be enough, you will also have to remove any leftover files.
- Finder – Applications.
- Locate SearchConvertor and drag it to the trash (the trash icon on the dock).
- You ought to also do the same with all additional unfamiliar applications.
- Click Go from the menu bar and then Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and look for any recently-added or otherwise questionable files and trash them.
- Return to Go to Folder, and type /Library/Application Support. trash any questionable and recently-added files.
- Return to Go to Folder, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. If Any recently-added files seem suspicious, drag them to the trash.
- Open Go to Folder again, and type /Library/LaunchDaemons. trash any questionable and recently-added files.
- Right-click on the trash icon and press Empty Trash.
How to uninstall SearchConvertor from your Internet browser
Remove SearchConvertor from Internet Explorer
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Press on the gear icon (top-right corner), and choose Manage Add-ons.
- Click Remove on SearchConvertor and all unknown extensions.
- Access Internet Options via browser menu (the gear icon).
- Open the General tab and alter your homepage to a site of your preference.
- Click the gear icon (top-right corner), and press on Manage Add-ons.
- Open Search Providers (from the left side menu), remove the SearchConvertor set one and pick the one you prefer.
If that didn’t solve your trouble, your browser’s settings will have to be reset.
- If your computer is running Windows XP, Start – Run, type inetcpl.cpl, access Advanced and press Reset.
- If your computer is running Windows Vista/7, click the windows logo, type in inetcpl.cpl in the search box and press Enter. Proceed to the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- For Windows 8/10 users, launch Internet Explorer, click the gear icon, press on Internet Options, proceed to the Advanced tab and click on Reset. Confirm the reset by clicking Reset again.
Delete SearchConvertor from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome.
- Click the three dots at the top-right corner of the screen, then More tools and Extensions.
- Locate and remove SearchConvertor, and any other extension you do not recognise.
- Access Settings through the menu (the three dots top right-corner).
- In the On startup section, set the homepage of your choice instead of the one set by SearchConvertor.
- Proceed to Search engine from the menu tab on the left, then Manage search engines, modify your search engine.
You’ll have to reset your browser’s settings if SearchConvertor is still there.
- Launch Google Chrome, menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- Scroll down, click Advanced and go down to the Reset section.
- Press on Reset and click Reset again in the window that pops up.
SearchConvertor removal from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Access Add-ons through the menu (the three bars top-right corner).
- Open Extensions, find and remove SearchConvertor, as well as any other unknown extension.
- Press on the menu (the three bars top right), and click Preferences.
- In the Home tab, set your preferred homepage instead of the one set by SearchConvertor.
- Proceed to the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, delete the search engine set by SearchConvertor and pick your preferred one.
If you are still struggling with SearchConvertor, it’ll be necessary to restore your browser’s settings to default.
- Menu (the three bars) – Help – Troubleshoot information.
- In the window, press Refresh Firefox.
- Click Refresh Firefox again.
SearchConvertor removal from Safari
- Open Safari.
- Safari (from the menu bar at the top) – Preferences.
- Access the Extensions tab, identify all unknown extensions, as well as SearchConvertor, and remove them.
- Access the General tab, you will see a homepage set by SearchConvertor, set it to one you prefer.
- Proceed to the Search tab, remove the search engine SearchConvertor set for you and pick your preferred one.
It may be necessary to restore your browser’s settings if SearchConvertor is still there.
- Open Safari, press on Safari (on the menu bar at the top), and press Clear History.
- Press on Safari (from the menu bar at the top), click on Preferences and go to the Advanced tab.
- Check the box at the bottom that says Show Develop menu in the menu bar box.
- Click on Develop on the menu bar and then on Empty Caches.
SearchConvertor deletion from Microsoft Edge
- Launch Microsoft Edge.
- Press the three dots at the top-right corner of the screen, and press Extensions.
- Locate and remove SearchConvertor, and any other unknown extension.
- Press on menu (the three dots), press Settings.
- In the On startup tab, delete the homepage set by SearchConvertor and set one of your choice.
- Open the Privacy and services tab, modify your search engine from the one SearchConvertor set for you to something of your choice.
If SearchConvertor is still there, you will have to restore your browser’s settings to default.
- Open Microsoft Edge menu (the three dots) – Settings – Reset settings.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Reset.