What is Search.becovi.com
Search.becovi.com is a browser hijacker website that would be set as your homepage if a certain hijacker installs on your computer. The hijacker will change your browser’s (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox) settings and set its promoted websites as your homepage and new tabs, and force you to use a questionable search engine. It’s not a serious infection, in the sense that it will not do serious harm to the computer but it’s also not something that should be permitted to remain installed. The changes to your browser will be done without your explicit permission, and you will not be able to undo them until you remove Search.becovi.com.
The main purpose of a hijacker is to redirect users to sponsored websites, and they do that by forcing users to use a search engine that inserts sponsored content into search results. Those sponsored search results usually lead to sites that have little to do with what users were initially searching for. Some of those sites could also expose users to potentially dangerous content, such as scams or even malware.
You were likely taken by surprise when you opened your browser and noticed an unknown website loading instead of your usual homepage. Many users don’t even notice how they install browser hijackers because they use an installation method known as software bundling. Software bundling allows unwanted programs like hijackers to install alongside programs that users install, without users even noticing. Continue reading to learn how you can prevent future unwanted installations.
How does a browser hijacker install
Browser hijackers, adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) are installed via freeware bundles. What happens is free programs often have additional offers added to them, and when users install those free programs, they install the offers as well. It’s a pretty sneaky installation method because users are not properly informed about the added offers. They are preselected to install alongside by default, unless users manually deselect them. But since many users rarely pay attention to how they install programs, they do not notice the offers.
Since most free programs will come with added offers, it is important that you learn how to prevent their installation. Fortunately, that is not difficult. When you install freeware, choose Advanced (Custom) settings instead of Default. Advanced will show you if anything has been added. If there is something, all you need to do is uncheck it/their box(es). Once the boxes have been unchecked, you can continue the installation.
Some of the offers may seem useful at first but installing them is not a good idea. The majority of those offers will be useless programs that are difficult to get rid of once installed. It’s much easier to prevent them from installing than it is to uninstall them later on.
Is Search.becovi.com dangerous?
As soon as the hijacker installs, it will change your browser’s settings and set Search.becovi.com as your homepage and new tabs. It will also change your default search engine, meaning all searches you perform will go through Search.becovi.com. These changes can be applied to all popular browsers, including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Once the settings are changed, they will not be reversible while the hijacker remains installed.
Search.becovi.com is a very basic site, and only has a search box on it. If you perform a search via the box or your browser’s address bar, you will be shown very generic search results with sponsored ones inserted among them. Hijackers aim to redirect you to those sponsored sites in order to generate revenue. But those sites will not necessarily be safe so you should avoid using this and other questionable search engines. You could end up on sites that promote some kind of scam or conceal malware.
Hijackers can be sneaky infections that are difficult to get rid of manually, so we always recommend users use anti-spyware software to delete Search.becovi.com. The program would find all related files and get rid of them in addition to the hijacker itself. However, you can uninstall Search.becovi.com manually as well, and we will show instructions to help you below this report.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Search.becovi.comTo scan for Search.becovi.com, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like Search.becovi.com and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove Search.becovi.com
- Automatic Search.becovi.com removal
- Manual Search.becovi.com removal from Windows
- How to manually delete Search.becovi.com from Mac OS
- How to uninstall Search.becovi.com from your Internet browser
- Remove Search.becovi.com from Internet Explorer
- How to delete Search.becovi.com from Google Chrome
- Search.becovi.com removal from Mozilla Firefox
- Remove Search.becovi.com from Safari
- Search.becovi.com removal from Microsoft Edge
Automatic Search.becovi.com removal
It’s easiest to uninstall Search.becovi.com from both Macs and Windows devices using security software such as anti-spyware. The program will do everything, as removing these applications is its aim. To remove Search.becovi.com, you have to download the program and start a scan. However, you may uninstall Search.becovi.com manually, and the below provided instructions will explain how.
Manual Search.becovi.com removal from Windows
- You will need to open Control Panel, and to do that press Start, then Settings and then Control Panel.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Find and remove Search.becovi.com.
- It’s also a good idea to go through all other programs to see if anything else is suspicious.
- Click Start (the windows logo) or tap the windows key – Control Panel.
- Access Programs and Features – Uninstall a program.
- Locate Search.becovi.com and delete it.
- It’s also advised to go through all other installed applications to see if anything else causes suspicion.
- Right-click on Start – Programs and Features.
- Uninstall Search.becovi.com.
- We advise doing the same with all other not familiar programs.
How to manually delete Search.becovi.com from Mac OS
Deleting Search.becovi.com from a Mac is quite simple. But removing the program won’t be enough, any related files will have to be deleted.
- Press on Finder (the first icon from the left on your dock) and press on Applications.
- Find Search.becovi.com and put it to the trash (the trash icon on the dock).
- Check all installed applications for other dubious programs and delete them.
- Access Go to Folder by clicking Go on the menu bar and then pressing on Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and trash any suspicious and recently-added files.
- Return to Go to Folder, and type /Library/Application Support. trash any dubious and recently-added files.
- Return to Go to Folder, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Drag all questionable files to the trash.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and type /Library/LaunchDaemons. Drag all dubious files to the trash.
- Finally, empty the trash which you may do by right-clicking on the trash icon and clicking Empty Trash.
How to uninstall Search.becovi.com from your Internet browser
Remove Search.becovi.com from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Access Manage Add-ons through the menu bar (the gear icon at the top-right corner of the screen).
- Find any extension you can’t identify as well as Search.becovi.com and delete it/them by selecting them and clicking Remove.
- Gear icon to access menu – Internet Options.
- If you access the General tab, you will be able to modify your homepage to a website of your preference.
- Click the gear icon (top-right corner), and press on Manage Add-ons.
- Click on Search Providers from the side menu, set the search engine after you delete the one set by Search.becovi.com.
In case Search.becovi.com is still present, it might be necessary to reset your browser’s settings to default.
- For Windows XP users, click start and click on Run and put in inetcpl.cpl, open Advanced and press Reset.
- For Windows Vista/7 users, press the windows logo, type inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Access the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- For Windows 8/10 users, open Internet Explorer, press on the gear icon, press on Internet Options, proceed to the Advanced tab and click on Reset. Confirm the reset by clicking Reset again.
How to delete Search.becovi.com from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome.
- Menu (the three dots right-corner of the screen) – More tools – Extensions.
- Locate and remove Search.becovi.com, as well as any other extension you don’t know.
- Access the menu again and select Settings.
- In the On startup section, set the homepage of your preference instead of the one set by Search.becovi.com.
- Proceed to Search engine from the menu on the left, click Manage search engines, modify your search engine from the one Search.becovi.com set for you to something else.
If Search.becovi.com is still causing issues, resetting your browser settings may be necessary.
- Open Google Chrome, menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- Scroll down, click Advanced and scroll down until you see Reset.
- Click on Reset and click Reset again in the new window that appears.
Search.becovi.com removal from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Menu (the three top right corner bars) – Add-ons.
- Access Extensions, locate and remove Search.becovi.com, and any other extension you can’t identify.
- Menu (the three bars) – Preferences.
- In the Home tab, set your preferred homepage instead of the one set by Search.becovi.com.
- Go to the Search tab from the menu on the left, change your search engine from the one set by Search.becovi.com to something else.
If Search.becovi.com is still giving you problems, restoring your browser settings may be necessary.
- When Mozilla Firefox is open, access the menu (the three bars), Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- Confirm your choice by pressing Refresh Firefox again.
Remove Search.becovi.com from Safari
- Open Safari.
- Click Safari from the menu bar, and click on Preferences.
- Access the Extensions tab, locate and remove Search.becovi.com, as well as any other extension you do not know.
- In the General tab, set the homepage of your preference instead of the one set by Search.becovi.com.
- Go to the Search tab, change your search engine.
In case Search.becovi.com is still there, it will be necessary to reset your browser’s settings to default.
- Clear History by clicking on Safari (the menu bar) when the browser is running, and select Clear History.
- Safari – Preferences – Advanced tab.
- Check the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- You will be able to see the Develop menu at the top, click on that and press on Empty Caches.
Search.becovi.com removal from Microsoft Edge
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Access Extensions through the menu (the three dots at the top-right corner).
- Find and delete Search.becovi.com, and any other unfamiliar extension.
- Open Settings through the menu (the three dots).
- Navigate to the On startup tab, set your preferred homepage instead of the one set by Search.becovi.com.
- Go to Privacy and services tab, modify your search engine from the one set by Search.becovi.com to something of your preference.
If you’re still struggling with Search.becovi.com, it might be necessary to restore your browser’s settings to default.
- Open Microsoft Edge, press on the three dots, select Settings, open the Reset settings tab.
- Press on Restore settings to their default values. Confirm the reset.