Remove Safe Finder Virus (Mac)
What is Safe Finder Virus (Mac)
Safe Finder Virus (Mac) is a questionable browser extension that promotes fake search engines. It’s essentially a browser hijacker that tries to show users sponsored content in order to make revenue. This particular potentially unwanted program targets Mac users, but Windows has its own fair share of similar infections. Overall, they’re pretty harmless in the sense that they don’t directly harm the computer, but allowing them to remain installed is not recommended. These kinds of infections make unwanted changes to browsers and then try to redirect users to sponsored websites to generate traffic and revenue for those sites. The unwanted changes and random redirects are why hijackers are such annoying infections. Thus, you should delete Safe Finder Virus (Mac) soon as possible.
In addition to trying to redirect you, these kinds of infections also use software bundling to install, meaning they do not ask for permission. This is a rather frowned upon method because it allows many sneaky programs to install without users noticing, so programs that use it are generally classified as PUPs. If you continue reading, we will explain how you can avoid installing the offers in the future.
How do PUPs install?
Users rarely install PUPs and similar infections themselves knowingly. If you realize that you did install it yourself, you should do research prior to installing programs. A simple search with Google would have given a good indication that the program is not useful.
For infections like Safe Finder Virus (Mac) using software bundling is very advantageous because it allows them to install without users’ permission. Adware, browser hijackers and PUPs come attached to free software as additional offers, and unless they are deselected by users manually, they’ll be permitted to install alongside. Most users don’t deselect the offers simply because they aren’t aware of them being there. But the offers are optional.
When you install free software, choose Advanced (Custom) settings instead of Default. Those settings will make all added offers visible and you will be able to deselect all of them. All you really need to do is uncheck the boxes. This simple action that takes seconds will save you a lot of time and effort later on when you’re stuck with potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) infecting your computer. If you do not pay attention to what kinds of programs you install and how you do it, your computer will be full of junk programs that will only negatively affect your computer’s performance.
What does Safe Finder Virus (Mac) do?
As soon as the infection installs, it will change your browser’s settings, whether you’re using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Safari. It sets one of its promoted sites as your homepage and new tabs, and force you to use a questionable search engine. Sites that may be set as your homepage include search.safefinderformac.com, search.macsafefinder.com, and search.safefinder.com. These changes will be irreversible while the hijacker remains installed because it will just keep changing everything.
Whatever site becomes your homepage, it will be promoting a questionable Safe Finder search engine. We do not recommend using it because these search engines often insert sponsored results into search results in order to redirect users. Those results will have little to do with what users are searching for, and may expose users to potentially dangerous content, such as malware and scams.
While these programs are often advertised as useful tools that will make the browsing experience better, they will actually do the opposite. They will try to expose you to as much sponsored content as possible, as well as track your browsing. This PUP will record what sites you visit, what you search for, what ads you click on, etc. It can then share the collected information with unknown third-parties.
Safe Finder Virus (Mac) removal
You can uninstall Safe Finder Virus (Mac) both manually and automatically, but the latter is much easier because the anti-spyware program would do everything. Most anti-virus programs for Mac will detect this program as a potential threat so you should have no trouble finding the tool that works for you. You can also remove Safe Finder Virus (Mac) manually, and there are instructions provided below to help you.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Safe Finder VirusTo scan for Safe Finder Virus, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like Safe Finder Virus and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove Safe Finder Virus
- Automatic Safe Finder Virus removal
- How to manually delete Safe Finder Virus from Windows
- Uninstall Safe Finder Virus from your Mac OS manually
- How to remove Safe Finder Virus from your Internet browser
- How to uninstall Safe Finder Virus from Internet Explorer
- Safe Finder Virus deletion from Google Chrome
- How to uninstall Safe Finder Virus from Mozilla Firefox
- Safe Finder Virus removal from Safari
- Safe Finder Virus removal from Microsoft Edge
Automatic Safe Finder Virus removal
We advise using malware removal program such as anti-spyware to delete Safe Finder Virus because it is the easiest. Anti-spyware programs are created to remove these threats and Safe Finder Virus will not be a problem. These applications are pretty simple to use and ought to easily delete Safe Finder Virus. However, you may remove Safe Finder Virus manually, and you could learn how by reading the below provided instructions.
How to manually delete Safe Finder Virus from Windows
- Start – Settings – Control Panel.
- Press on Add or Remove Programs.
- Find and uninstall Safe Finder Virus.
- Look through all your installed programs, and uninstall anything else you do not recognise.
- Tap the windows key to open start menu and select Control Panel.
- Pick Programs and Features and then Uninstall a program.
- Locate Safe Finder Virus and remove it.
- If you see any other questionable programs, uninstall them as well.
- You will need to access Programs and Features and to do that right-click on Start and opt for Programs and Features.
- Find Safe Finder Virus and remove it.
- If you see any other suspicious applications, delete them as well.
Uninstall Safe Finder Virus from your Mac OS manually
You should not have any issues with deleting Safe Finder Virus from your Mac computer. However, you will also have to delete a couple of remaining files as well as removing the program.
- Finder – Applications.
- Put Safe Finder Virus into the trash.
- Check all installed programs for other questionable applications and trash them.
- In the menu bar, click Go – Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and look for any recently-added or otherwise suspicious files and trash them.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and type /Library/Application Support. Search for any recently-added or otherwise dubious files and trash them.
- Access Go to Folder again, and type ~/Library/LaunchAgents. If you see any dubious and recently added files, put them in the trash.
- Return to Go to Folder, and type /Library/LaunchDaemons. Drag any questionable files to the trash.
- Right-click on the trash icon and select Empty Trash.
How to remove Safe Finder Virus from your Internet browser
How to uninstall Safe Finder Virus from Internet Explorer
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Access Manage Add-ons through the menu bar (the gear icon at the top-right).
- Click Remove on Safe Finder Virus and all unknown extensions.
- Open Internet Options through browser menu (the gear icon).
- In the General tab, modify the homepage to a page of your choice.
- Open Manage Add-ons by pressing on the browser menu (the gear icon) and selecting Manage Add-ons.
- Access Search Providers (from the left side menu), delete the Safe Finder Virus set one and pick the one you prefer.
Your browser’s settings will have to be reset if you are still having issues with Safe Finder Virus.
- For users using devices running Windows XP, click start and open Run and type inetcpl.cpl, access Advanced and click Reset.
- If your computer is running Windows Vista/7, press the windows logo, type in inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Proceed to the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- For users using computers operating Windows 8/10, launch Internet Explorer, click the gear icon, press Internet Options, access the Advanced tab and press Reset. Click Reset again.
Safe Finder Virus deletion from Google Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Menu (the three dots) – More tools – Extensions.
- Find Safe Finder Virus and any other extension you can’t identify, and remove them.
- Open the menu again and press on Settings.
- You may modify your homepage in On startup.
- Proceed to Search engine from the menu on the left, then Manage search engines, change your search engine.
Your browser’s settings will need to be reset if Safe Finder Virus is still present.
- Launch Google Chrome, menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- Scroll down, click Advanced and scroll down to the Reset section.
- Click Reset and then affirm your choice by pressing Reset again.
How to uninstall Safe Finder Virus from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Open Add-ons through the menu (the three bars top-right corner).
- Open Extensions, identify all unknown extensions, as well as Safe Finder Virus, and remove them.
- Open Preferences through the menu (the three dots).
- In the Home tab, delete the homepage set by Safe Finder Virus and set one of your preference.
- Proceed to the Search tab from the menu on the left, modify your search engine from the one Safe Finder Virus set for you to something of your preference.
In case Safe Finder Virus is still there, you might have to reset your browser’s settings to default.
- Menu (the three bars) – Help – Troubleshoot information.
- In the new window, click on Refresh Firefox.
- Press Refresh Firefox again.
Safe Finder Virus removal from Safari
- Open Safari.
- Safari (from the menu bar at the top) – Preferences.
- Open the Extensions tab, find and remove Safe Finder Virus, as well as any other unfamiliar extension.
- In the General tab, set the homepage of your choice instead of the one set by Safe Finder Virus.
- Go to the Search tab, change your search engine from the one set by Safe Finder Virus to something of your choice.
If Safe Finder Virus is still causing issues, it might be necessary to restore your browser’s settings to default.
- Clear History by clicking on Safari (the menu bar) when the browser is running, and select Clear History.
- Safari – Preferences – Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- Press Develop (on the menu bar) and select Empty Caches.
Safe Finder Virus removal from Microsoft Edge
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Menu (the three dots at the top-right corner) – Extensions.
- Find all extensions you do not recognise, as well as Safe Finder Virus, and delete them.
- Open Settings via the menu (the three dots).
- If you go to the On startup tab, you’ll see a homepage set by Safe Finder Virus, change it to one you prefer.
- Open the Privacy and services tab, modify your search engine from the one Safe Finder Virus set for you to something of your choice.
In case you are still struggling with Safe Finder Virus, it’ll be necessary to restore your browser’s settings to default.
- Open Microsoft Edge menu (the three dots) – Settings – Reset settings.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Confirm the reset.