Remove pdfconvertkit [Explained]
What is pdfconvertkit
pdfconvertkit is a browser hijacker, promoted as an extension to help convert files into PDFs. Browser hijackers are often promoted as useful tools so users would keep them installed when they turn up out of the blue. They often install via freeware bundles, meaning users install them accidentally without even realizing it. The proceeding section of the report will explain what exactly software bundling is and how to avoid installing unwanted programs in the future.
If you suddenly find pdfconvertkit.com set as your homepage and new tabs, you definitely have a browser hijacker installed on your computer. It’s not a malicious infection, nor will it harm your computer. However, it does change your browser’s settings to promote its questionable website, and prevents you from undoing the changes. This makes hijackers very annoying infections. We should also mention that the main aim of a hijacker is to redirect you to sponsored sites. It will try to do that by altering your search results to include sponsored content. The majority of those results will be harmless spam but you may also come across results leading to potentially dangerous sites. They could be hiding malware or promoting some kinds of scams. Thus, we would strongly recommend you delete pdfconvertkit from your computer because even if it’s relatively harmless by itself, it could still expose you to dangerous content.
How did the hijacker install
Some browser hijackers are promoted on various free download sites where users can download them. They may appear as useful extensions that could improve your browsing but that’s just a facade to encourage users to install it. Never download extensions before you research them and make sure they’re safe.
You were likely caught off guard when you noticed your changed settings. If that is the case, the hijacker probably installed together with a free program you installed. A lot of free programs have additional offers attached to them, including browser hijackers, adware and potentially unwanted programs. This is known as software bundling. The offers are optional but are set to install alongside automatically, unless users manually prevent them from doing so. However, the issue is that the offers are hidden from users. To make them visible, you need to opt for Advanced (Custom) settings when installing free programs. Unlike Default, those settings will make all additional offers visible, and you will be able to deselect all of them. All you really need to do is uncheck the boxes of those offers, and can then continue installing the freeware. Deselecting the offers will prevent junk from piling up in your computer.
Should you remove pdfconvertkit
The extension will change your browser’s settings without your permission, and set pdfconvertkit.com as your homepage and new tabs. Your default search engine will also be changed. Do not waste your time trying to undo these changes because the hijacker will just change the settings again. Until you uninstall pdfconvertkit from your computer, you’ll be stuck with pdfconvertkit.com loading every time you open your browser, whether it’s Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
Your new homepage will promote a PDF converter that will convert various files into PDFs. It will also have a search box. If you perform a search via it or your browser’s address bar, you will be shown results generated via Yahoo. Yahoo is a completely legitimate search engine that you can safely use. However, it should not be forced upon you as this hijacker is doing. And there really is no reason why you should use a third-party website to access Yahoo search when you can go to it directly.
Browser hijackers also collect information about users, including their visited sites, search queries, clicked on ads, etc. The information would also be shared with unknown third-parties.
The easiest way to delete pdfconvertkit would be to use anti-spyware software. Hijackers can be tricky to get rid of, so using anti-spyware would be easiest because the program would do everything for you. You can, however, uninstall pdfconvertkit manually as well. If you are unsure about where to begin, use the below provided instructions to help you.
Download Removal Toolto scan for pdfconvertkitTo scan for pdfconvertkit, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like pdfconvertkit and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove pdfconvertkit
- Delete pdfconvertkit with malware removal software
- Manual pdfconvertkit removal from Windows
- How to manually remove pdfconvertkit from Mac OS
- How to uninstall pdfconvertkit from your Internet browser
- Remove pdfconvertkit from Internet Explorer
- pdfconvertkit deletion from Google Chrome
- pdfconvertkit deletion from Mozilla Firefox
- pdfconvertkit removal from Safari
- pdfconvertkit removal from Microsoft Edge
Delete pdfconvertkit with malware removal software
The easiest way to remove pdfconvertkit from Macs and Windows computers would be using security program such as anti-spyware. Such applications are created to uninstall these infections and should have no issue with remove pdfconvertkit. These software are very easy to use and should have no trouble uninstalling pdfconvertkit. However, it’s also possible to uninstall pdfconvertkit manually, and you will see instructions below.
Manual pdfconvertkit removal from Windows
- Start – Settings – Control Panel.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Delete pdfconvertkit.
- Look through all your installed programs, and remove anything else you do not recognise.
- Press the windows key to access start menu and choose Control Panel.
- Open Programs and Features – Uninstall a program.
- Find pdfconvertkit and delete it.
- We also suggest checking through all other programs for any other dubious programs, and if there’s anything, delete it/them.
- Right-click on Start – Programs and Features.
- Locate pdfconvertkit and remove it.
- We also suggest going through all other applications to see if anything else is suspicious.
How to manually remove pdfconvertkit from Mac OS
Deleting pdfconvertkit from your Mac computer is very simple. But we’ll also guide you through deleting any leftover files after pdfconvertkit removal.
- Finder – Applications.
- Find pdfconvertkit and trash it (the trash icon on the dock).
- We also suggest checking through all other applications for any other dubious applications, and if there’s anything, remove it/them.
- Open Go to Folder by clicking Go on the menu bar and then selecting Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and if any recently-added files look suspicious, trash them.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and type /Library/Application Support. Drag any suspicious files to the trash.
- Access Go to Folder again, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Put to the trash any dubious and recently-added files.
- Open Go to Folder again, and type /Library/LaunchDaemons. Look for any recently-added or otherwise suspicious files and trash them.
- Don’t forget to empty the trash which you may do by right-clicking on the trash icon and pressing Empty Trash.
How to uninstall pdfconvertkit from your Internet browser
Remove pdfconvertkit from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Access Manage Add-ons via the menu bar (the gear icon at the top-right corner of the screen).
- Click Remove on pdfconvertkit and all extensions you are not familiar with.
- Gear icon to access menu – Internet Options.
- Open the General tab and alter your homepage to a website of your choice.
- Click the gear icon (top-right corner), and click on Manage Add-ons.
- Go to the Search Providers tab (from the left side menu), delete the pdfconvertkit set one and set the one you prefer.
If pdfconvertkit is still giving you issues, it may be necessary to reset your browser settings.
- For Windows XP users, press start and press on Run and type inetcpl.cpl, proceed to the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- If your computer is running Windows Vista/7, click the windows logo, type in inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Open the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- If your device is running Windows 8/10, launch Internet Explorer, press on the gear icon, choose Internet Options, proceed to the Advanced tab and press Reset. Confirm the reset by clicking Reset again.
pdfconvertkit deletion from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome.
- Open the menu by pressing on the three dots at the top-right corner of the screen, then More tools and Extensions.
- Find and delete pdfconvertkit, and any other extension you don’t recognise.
- Access Settings via the menu (the three dots top right-corner).
- In the On startup section, delete the page pdfconvertkit set as your homepage and pick your preferred one.
- Proceed to Search engine from the menu on the left, access Manage search engines, modify your search engine from the one set by pdfconvertkit to something of your preference.
Resetting your browser’s settings might be necessary if pdfconvertkit is still there.
- Open Google Chrome, menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- Scroll down, click Advanced and go down until you see Reset.
- Press on Reset and press Reset again in the new window that appears.
pdfconvertkit deletion from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Access the menu (the three bars on the top-right corner), and then click on Add-ons.
- Access Extensions, identify all extensions you don’t recognise, as well as pdfconvertkit, and delete them.
- Open Preferences through the menu (the three dots).
- You’ll need to change your homepage in the Home tab.
- Proceed to the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, remove the search engine pdfconvertkit set for you and set your preferred one.
If you’re still having trouble, you will have to reset your browser’s settings to default.
- When Mozilla Firefox is open, access the menu (the three bars), Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- Confirm your choice by pressing Refresh Firefox again.
pdfconvertkit removal from Safari
- Launch Safari.
- Safari (from the menu bar at the top) – Preferences.
- Access the Extensions tab, identify all extensions you do not know, as well as pdfconvertkit, and remove them.
- Access the General tab, you’ll see a homepage set by pdfconvertkit, set it to one you prefer.
- Proceed to the Search tab, modify your search engine from the one pdfconvertkit set for you to something else.
If pdfconvertkit is still giving you problems, your browser’s settings might have to be reset to default.
- Clear History by pressing on Safari (the menu bar) when the browser is running, and select Clear History.
- Safari – Preferences – Advanced tab.
- Check the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- You will see the Develop menu at the top, click on that and then press on Empty Caches.
pdfconvertkit removal from Microsoft Edge
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Click on the three dots at the top-right corner of the screen, and press Extensions.
- Find and remove pdfconvertkit, and any other extension you do not recognise.
- Menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- In the On startup tab, remove the homepage set by pdfconvertkit and choose one of your preference.
- Navigate to Privacy and services tab, change your search engine from the one set by pdfconvertkit to something of your choice.
You’ll have to reset your browser’s settings if you are still having problems with pdfconvertkit.
- Open Microsoft Edge menu (the three dots) – Settings – Reset settings.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Reset.