Remove PDF Opener [Explained]
What is PDF Opener
PDF Opener is a browser hijacker promoting a fake search engine pdfsrch.com. It’s advertised as a useful extension that will help convert files to PDF. However, it’s very unlikely that you installed the extension yourself because the chances of you coming across this particular one are pretty slim. It’s much more likely that you installed free software that had this pest attached to it. This is referred to as software bundling, and is a common installation method used by unwanted program developers. We will explain this and how to avoid these unwanted installations further on in this report.
In the meantime, we should quickly explain what exactly this hijacker does. It will change your browser’s settings and set its promoted site as your homepage and new tabs, as well as change your default search engine. These changes will be performed without your permission and will be irreversible while the hijacker remains installed. The hijacker aims to redirect you to sponsored sites in order to generate traffic and revenue. Because the sites you could be redirected to will not be checked, you could easily be exposed to malware and all kinds of scams. Thus, we strongly recommend you delete PDF Opener.
How does PDF Opener install?
You may be able to find the extension available on some sites but with the amount of similar extensions available, it’s very unlikely that you would stumble upon this one in particular. It’s much more likely that PDF Opener was attached to some free program you installed. This is called software bundling. Essentially, PDF Opener was attached to a free program as an extra offer, and when you installed the program, PDF Opener installed alongside.
These offers are optional but are preselected to install alongside the program. They’re also hidden which is why users install these offers so often. To make them visible, you need to opt for Advanced (Custom) settings during freeware installation. Unlike Default settings, Advanced will make all extra offers visible, and you will be able to deselect all of them. Uncheck the boxes of those offers and you can then continue installing the program.
Keep in mind that most free programs will come with these offers attached. And unless you want to fill your computer with junk programs, you should always pay attention to what program you install and how you do it. Deselecting a few boxes takes seconds, compared to uninstalling adware and hijackers.
Is PDF Opener dangerous?
The extension will attach itself to popular browsers like Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, and change their settings. It will set its promoted site as your new homepage/new tabs, and change your default search engine. These changes are very obvious and you will immediately notice. Do not waste your time trying to undo these changes while the hijacker is still installed because it will just keep changing everything back.
The extension is promoted as a file converter but it won’t really do anything. It’s main intention is to redirect you to sponsored sites to generate traffic and revenue. If you perform a search via your browser address bar, you will be redirected to pdfsrch.com and then to Yahoo. Yahoo is a perfectly legitimate search engine, but you do not need to put up with the hijacker forcing you to use it. You also do not need to go through a third-party website to access Yahoo when you can go there directly.
The hijacker will also collect information about your browsing activities. It will track what sites you visit, what you search for, what content you engage with, your IP address, etc. This information can later be shared with unfamiliar third-parties.
Overall, PDF Opener is a useless extension that is classified as browser hijacker. It makes unwanted browser changes, tries to potentially redirect you, and collects information about your activities.
PDF Opener removal
In order to remove PDF Opener, we suggest using anti-spyware software. These kinds of infections can be tricky to get rid of manually so using anti-spyware would be much easier. However, you can uninstall PDF Opener manually as well, you will simply need to locate and get rid of all related files yourself.
Download Removal Toolto scan for PDF OpenerTo scan for PDF Opener, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like PDF Opener and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove PDF Opener
- Remove PDF Opener with spyware removal software
- How to manually remove PDF Opener from Windows
- How to manually delete PDF Opener from Mac OS
- PDF Opener removal from your Internet browser
- How to uninstall PDF Opener from Internet Explorer
- PDF Opener removal from Google Chrome
- How to remove PDF Opener from Mozilla Firefox
- How to remove PDF Opener from Safari
- PDF Opener removal from Microsoft Edge
Remove PDF Opener with spyware removal software
The easiest way to uninstall PDF Opener from Macs and Windows devices would be to use security software such as anti-spyware. These kinds of programs can remove all kinds of infections so they shouldn’t have issues with PDF Opener. These applications are easy enough to operate and should easily uninstall PDF Opener. If you scroll down, we’ll also explain manual PDF Opener deletion.
How to manually remove PDF Opener from Windows
- Start – Settings – Control Panel.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Uninstall PDF Opener.
- Check all applications installed on your system for anything else that is questionable and delete them.
- Press the windows key to access start menu and choose Control Panel.
- Select Programs and Features and then Uninstall a program.
- Uninstall PDF Opener.
- Check the applications you have installed, and uninstall anything else questionable.
- You’ll need to open Programs and Features by right-clicking on Start and selecting Programs and Features.
- Locate PDF Opener and uninstall it.
- We also suggest checking through all other programs for any other dubious applications, and if there is anything, delete it/them.
How to manually delete PDF Opener from Mac OS
It’s not difficult to uninstall PDF Opener from your Mac computer. But uninstalling the application won’t be enough, you’ll also have to remove any leftover files.
- Press on Finder (the first icon from the left on your dock) and press on Applications.
- Drag PDF Opener into the trash.
- We also advise checking through all other programs for any other dubious programs, and if there is anything, delete it/them.
- Access Go to Folder by pressing Go on the menu bar and then selecting Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and drag to the trash any dubious and recently-added files.
- Open Go to Folder again, and type /Library/Application Support. trash any suspicious and recently-added files.
- Access Go to Folder again, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Look for any recently-added or otherwise questionable files and trash them.
- Access Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/LaunchDaemons. Drag all suspicious files to the trash.
- Do not forget to empty the trash by right-clicking on the trash icon and clicking Empty Trash.
PDF Opener removal from your Internet browser
How to uninstall PDF Opener from Internet Explorer
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Press on the gear icon located at the top-right corner, and select Manage Add-ons.
- Delete PDF Opener and any other extension you’re not familiar with by clicking on them and pressing Remove.
- Click the gear icon (top-right corner), and pick Internet Options.
- If you access the General tab, you’ll be able to alter your homepage website.
- Press on the gear icon (top-right corner), and select Manage Add-ons.
- Click Search Providers (from the left side menu, set the search engine after you remove the one set by PDF Opener.
Resetting your browser’s settings to default will probably be necessary if you’re still having problems with PDF Opener.
- If your computer is running Windows XP, Start – Run, type in inetcpl.cpl, proceed to the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- If your device is running Windows Vista/7, press the windows logo, type inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Proceed to the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- If your device is running Windows 8/10, launch Internet Explorer, gear icon – Internet Options – Advanced tab – Reset. Confirm the reset by pressing Reset again.
PDF Opener removal from Google Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Access the menu by clicking the three dots at the top-right corner, then More tools and Extensions.
- Locate and delete PDF Opener, and any other unknown extension.
- Open Settings via the menu (the three dots top right-corner).
- In the On startup section, set the homepage of your choice instead of the one set by PDF Opener.
- Go to Search engine from the menu tab on the left, access Manage search engines, delete the search engine set by PDF Opener and set it to one of your choice.
You might have to restore browser’s settings to default if PDF Opener is still giving you issues.
- Launch Google Chrome, click on the three dots on the top-right corner, press Settings.
- Scroll down, press on Advanced and go down until you see Reset.
- Press Reset and affirm your choice.
How to remove PDF Opener from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Open Add-ons via the menu (the three bars).
- Access Extensions, find and remove PDF Opener, and any other unknown extension.
- Menu (the three bars) – Preferences.
- In the Home tab, set your preferred homepage instead of the one set by PDF Opener.
- Proceed to the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, modify your search engine.
If you’re still having issues with PDF Opener, it may be necessary to restore your browser’s settings to default.
- Menu (the three bars) – Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Click on Refresh Firefox in the new window.
- Press Refresh Firefox again.
How to remove PDF Opener from Safari
- Launch Safari.
- Click Safari from the menu bar, and press on Preferences.
- Navigate to the Extensions tab, find PDF Opener and any other unfamiliar extension, and remove them.
- In the General tab, set the homepage of your choice instead of the one set by PDF Opener.
- Access the Search tab, modify your search engine from the one PDF Opener set for you to something else.
Resetting your browser’s settings to default will likely be necessary if PDF Opener is still present.
- Clear History by pressing on Safari (the menu bar) when the browser is open, and click on Clear History.
- Press on Safari (from the menu bar at the top), click on Preferences and access to the Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- Click on Develop on the menu bar and select Empty Caches.
PDF Opener removal from Microsoft Edge
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Menu (the three dots at the top-right corner) – Extensions.
- Find and remove PDF Opener, and any other unfamiliar extension.
- Menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- In the On startup tab, delete the site PDF Opener set as your homepage and set your preferred one.
- Open the Privacy and services tab, change your search engine from the one set by PDF Opener to something of your preference.
If you’re still having trouble, you will have to reset your browser’s settings to default.
- Open Microsoft Edge, press on the three dots, select Settings, press on the Reset settings tab.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Reset.