Remove EAB Omnibox Hijacker
What is EAB Omnibox Hijacker
EAB Omnibox Hijacker is a completely useless extension that has the sole function of changing the search engine. According to its description on the Chrome store, EAB Omnibox will let you “easily switch between your favorite search engines”, but that can easily be done without the need of an extension, making EAB Omnibox useless. The reason EAB Omnibox is classified as a browser hijacker is because it uses software bundling to install and makes unwanted changes to browsers.
The hijacker is available for download from the Chrome web store, but it’s much more likely that if it installed on your computer, you didn’t do it knowingly. What likely happened was you installed a free program that had this hijacker attached to it, and you did not notice. If attached offers go unnoticed, they can install alongside the freeware they’re attached to it. This is called software bundling, and it’s a popular method among unwanted program developers. We will explain how you can avoid installing unwanted offers in the following section of the report.
Because it’s essentially a useless extension that you did not install knowingly, we suggest you remove EAB Omnibox Hijacker.
How did EAB Omnibox Hijacker install
If you don’t remember installing EAB Omnibox, it probably entered via freeware bundles. Software bundling is essentially adding additional offers to programs and permitting them to install alongside automatically. The offers are usually adware, browser hijackers and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs). They are optional but since they’re set to install alongside automatically and are hidden, most users end up installing them accidentally.
If you want to prevent unwanted offers from installing alongside the program you’re installing, make sure you pay attention throughout the whole process. During installation you will be asked to choose between Advanced (Custom) and Default (Basic) settings. If you opt for Advanced, all added offers will be made visible, and you will be able to deselect all of them. If Advanced settings show that something has been attached to the program, uncheck the box(es), and only then continue the installation. Keep in mind that most free programs will come with these offers, which will only clutter your computer if you don’t stop them from installing.
Since the extension is also available on the Chrome web store, it’s not impossible for you to have installed it yourself. However, if that is the case, we recommend doing more extensive research before installing programs in the future.
Is EAB Omnibox Hijacker dangerous?
Because hijackers change browser’s settings, they are very noticeable infections. This hijacker won’t change the homepage, but it does change the default search engine. It appears to primarily affect the Google Chrome browser. Whenever you perform a search via your browser address bar, you will be redirected to eabsearch.com and then to Yahoo, Bing or Omnibox.bar. Yahoo and Bing are perfectly acceptable search engines but you should not be forced to use them. And that’s what a hijacker is essentially doing, it’s forcing you to use a search engine you did not choose. You will be able to switch between those three search engines, but no other ones like Google. Furthermore, you can go to them directly, there is no need to be redirected via eabsearch.com. You will not be able to undo these browser setting changes while the hijacker remains installed on the computer.
We don’t recommend using the omnibox.bar search engine because it will likely insert sponsored content among legitimate search results. Hijackers do this in order to redirect users to sponsored websites. Those sites are usually useless but some may be dangerous. They could be promoting scams or hiding some kind of malware.
You should keep in mind that while the extension does not provide any useful features or services, it collects information about your browsing. It tracks what sites you visit, what you search for, your IP address, etc. This information is likely shared with third-parties.
EAB Omnibox Hijacker removal
You should be able to delete EAB Omnibox Hijacker manually and using anti-spyware software. For manual EAB Omnibox Hijacker removal, use the below provided instructions to help you. Using anti-spyware software would be easier, however, as the program would do everything.
Download Removal Toolto scan for EAB Omnibox HijackerTo scan for EAB Omnibox Hijacker, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like EAB Omnibox Hijacker and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove EAB Omnibox Hijacker
- Delete EAB Omnibox Hijacker with anti-spyware software
- Manual EAB Omnibox Hijacker removal from Windows
- Manual EAB Omnibox Hijacker removal from Mac OS
- EAB Omnibox Hijacker removal from your Internet browser
- Delete EAB Omnibox Hijacker from Internet Explorer
- EAB Omnibox Hijacker removal from Google Chrome
- How to uninstall EAB Omnibox Hijacker from Mozilla Firefox
- How to uninstall EAB Omnibox Hijacker from Safari
- Delete EAB Omnibox Hijacker from Microsoft Edge
Delete EAB Omnibox Hijacker with anti-spyware software
It’s easiest to delete EAB Omnibox Hijacker from both Macs and Windows devices via malware removal software like anti-spyware. These types of programs can uninstall all types of threats so they should not have problems with EAB Omnibox Hijacker. To delete EAB Omnibox Hijacker, all you have to do is download the program and carry out a scan. If you scroll down, we’ll also explain manual EAB Omnibox Hijacker deletion.
Manual EAB Omnibox Hijacker removal from Windows
- You will need to open Control Panel, and to do that click Start, then Settings and finally Control Panel.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Remove EAB Omnibox Hijacker.
- Check all installed applications for anything else that’s questionable and delete them.
- Click Start (the windows logo) or tap the windows key – Control Panel.
- Open Programs and Features – Uninstall a program.
- Uninstall EAB Omnibox Hijacker.
- We also advise checking through all other programs for any other suspicious programs, and if there is anything, delete it/them.
- You’ll need to open Programs and Features by right-clicking on Start and pressing Programs and Features.
- Remove EAB Omnibox Hijacker.
- We also suggest going through all other applications for anything else suspicious, and if there’s anything, uninstall it/them.
Manual EAB Omnibox Hijacker removal from Mac OS
You should not have any problems with uninstalling EAB Omnibox Hijacker from your Mac device. But we will also guide you through deleting any related files after you uninstall EAB Omnibox Hijacker.
- Click on Finder (the first icon from the left on your dock) and press on Applications.
- Put EAB Omnibox Hijacker into the trash.
- Check all installed programs for anything else that’s suspicious and trash them.
- Access Go to Folder from the Go menu in your menu bar.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and if you note any suspicious and recently added files, trash them.
- Return to Go to Folder, and put in /Library/Application Support. If you see any other suspicious files, trash them.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. trash any dubious and recently-added files.
- Open Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/LaunchDaemons. Drag all suspicious files to the trash.
- Right-click on the trash icon and press Empty Trash.
EAB Omnibox Hijacker removal from your Internet browser
Delete EAB Omnibox Hijacker from Internet Explorer
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Open Manage Add-ons via the menu bar (the gear icon at the top-right corner of the screen).
- Click Remove on EAB Omnibox Hijacker and all extensions you aren’t familiar with.
- Gear icon to open menu – Internet Options.
- If you access the General tab, you’ll be able to change your homepage to a website you prefer.
- Press on the gear icon (top-right corner), and press on Manage Add-ons.
- Press Search Providers (from the left side menu, set the search engine after you remove the one EAB Omnibox Hijacker set for your browser.
If EAB Omnibox Hijacker is still giving you issues, resetting your browser settings may be necessary.
- For Windows XP users, press start and open Run and put in inetcpl.cpl, access the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- For users using devices running Windows Vista/7, press the windows logo, type in inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Access the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- If you’re using Windows 8/10, open Internet Explorer, gear icon – Internet Options – Advanced tab – Reset. Click Reset again.
EAB Omnibox Hijacker removal from Google Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Menu (the three dots right-corner of the screen) – More tools – Extensions.
- Find all extensions you don’t recognise, as well as EAB Omnibox Hijacker, and delete them.
- Access the menu again and choose Settings.
- If you go to On startup, you will see that EAB Omnibox Hijacker set a weird web page as your homepage, change it to one of your choice.
- Go to Search engine from the menu tab on the left, click Manage search engines, modify your search engine.
In case EAB Omnibox Hijacker is still giving you issues, your browser’s settings may need to be reset to default.
- Open Google Chrome, open menu (the three dots), press Settings.
- Scroll down, press on Advanced and scroll down to the Reset section.
- Press on Reset and press Reset again in the new window that appears.
How to uninstall EAB Omnibox Hijacker from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Open Add-ons through the menu (the three bars top-right corner).
- Access Extensions, identify all unknown extensions, as well as EAB Omnibox Hijacker, and delete them.
- Access Preferences via the menu (the three dots).
- In the Home tab, set your preferred homepage instead of the one set by EAB Omnibox Hijacker.
- Open the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, change your search engine.
In case you’re still struggling with EAB Omnibox Hijacker, your browser’s settings may have to be restored to default.
- Open Mozilla Firefox, press the three bars at the top-right corner of the screen, Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Press Refresh Firefox in the new window.
- Click Refresh Firefox again.
How to uninstall EAB Omnibox Hijacker from Safari
- Launch Safari.
- Safari (from the menu bar at the top) – Preferences.
- Access the Extensions tab, find EAB Omnibox Hijacker and any other extension you don’t know, and delete them.
- Access the General tab, you will see a homepage set by EAB Omnibox Hijacker, change it to one you prefer.
- Open the Search tab, modify your search engine.
You may need to reset your browser’s settings if you’re still having problems with EAB Omnibox Hijacker.
- Launch Safari, press on Safari (on the menu bar at the top), and press Clear History.
- Click Safari (from the menu bar at the top), select Preferences and go to the Advanced tab.
- Check the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- Press Develop (on the menu bar) and then on Empty Caches.
Delete EAB Omnibox Hijacker from Microsoft Edge
- Launch Microsoft Edge.
- Menu (the three dots at the top-right corner) – Extensions.
- Find and remove EAB Omnibox Hijacker, as well as any other extension you do not recognise.
- Press on the menu icon (the three dots), click Settings.
- Access the On startup tab, you’ll see a homepage set by EAB Omnibox Hijacker, change it to one of your choice.
- Open the Privacy and services tab, delete the search engine EAB Omnibox Hijacker set for you and set it to one of your choice.
It might be necessary to restore your browser’s settings if EAB Omnibox Hijacker is still there.
- Open Microsoft Edge menu (the three dots) – Settings – Reset settings.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Confirm the reset.