Remove CyberGhost [Explained]
What is CyberGhost
CyberGhost is a virtual private network (VPN) program that is aimed at helping users browse more privately, as well as bypass geo-restrictions. VPNs are useful for users who want to keep their browsing private, as it hides the connection even from the Internet provider. Because a VPN allows you to spoof your location, you can bypass geo-restrictions when using streaming services like Netflix and Hulu. Though certain streaming services do detect some VPNs and stop you from using their services while the VPN is enabled. You can also access other services that have been made unavailable in your country, such as YouTube, Facebook and Spotify using VPNs like CyberGhost.
Connecting to public WiFi without using a VPN and accessing sensitive accounts, such as email and online banking could allow hackers to intercept the connection and spy on you, potentially allowing them access to your accounts. This is why users are always warned to not use public WiFi for personal usage, such as online banking. When using a reliable VPN, your connection becomes encrypted, preventing other from snooping on what you are doing. Websites will not be able to track what you do, and your browsing/history will be hidden from your Internet provider. A VPN will also allow you to connect to public WiFi safely, without worry that someone connected to the same network would be able to intercept your connection and spy on what you are doing.
Is CyberGhost safe to use
When it comes to VPNs, users should always be careful because there are plenty of fake ones. Some contradict themselves by claiming to protect users’ privacy by shielding them from bring tracked while at the same time tracking their users themselves. Others don’t work at all, and simply want users to purchase their subscriptions and then make it difficult for users to cancel them. It’s very important that you research the programs before installing them to make sure you know exactly what you’re about to download, especially if you’re planning on subscribing long-term.
But CyberGhost is a legitimate virtual private network program and is safe to use. The CyberGhost VPN claims to have 6200 servers in more than 90 countries so whichever country you need, you should be able to connect to a server in that country. You can check the program’s full features on the site’s official website.
You should also know that VPNs are not free programs. According to its official website, CyberGhost costs €11.99/month if you choose to pay every month, €7.99/month if you pay for six months, and €2.75/month if you pay for a year. You will see many ads for free VPNs but them being free somewhat defeats the purpose of a VPN because they will track your browsing and sell your data to make revenue. Some VPNs do offer legitimate free trials but they usually have very limited data (e.g. only 2GB), allowing only minimal browsing.
You may encounter ads for CyberGhost VPN when browsing torrent websites but we don’t recommended downloading anything from those ads. Downloading from ads in general is not safe, let alone from ones shown on high-risk websites like the ones offering torrents. You should only download programs from legitimate sources, such as official websites or known safe web pages. CyberGhost VPN has an official website, and that is the only source you should get it from.
Should you want to remove CyberGhost, here’s how to do it
If you have decided that you do not wish to use the program any further, you can delete CyberGhost just like any other program. Since it’s not a virus, nor is it some kind of threat, on Windows you can simply remove CyberGhost via its own uninstaller, or via Uninstall a Program in your Control Panel. You can locate the uninstaller in the CyberGhost VPN installation folder. Launch the uninstaller, follow the instructions and that should remove CyberGhost. If you are using a Mac, quit the program, go to Finder -> Applications and find CyberGhost VPN. Drag it to the Trash, along with all other related files, and Empty Trash.
Download Removal Toolto scan for CyberGhostTo scan for CyberGhost, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like CyberGhost and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove CyberGhost
Uninstall CyberGhost with anti-spyware software
The easiest way to delete CyberGhost from both your Mac and Windows computers would be to use security program like anti-spyware. The application will do everything, as that’s what it’s developed to do. These applications are easy enough to operate and should easily delete CyberGhost. If you continue reading, you’ll also find instructions that explain manual CyberGhost deletion.
How to manually delete CyberGhost from Windows
- Access Control Panel, and to do that press Start, then Settings and then Control Panel.
- Click on Add or Remove Programs.
- Uninstall CyberGhost.
- Check all installed programs for anything else that appears dubious and remove them.
- Click Start (the windows logo) or tap the windows key – Control Panel.
- Access Programs and Features – Uninstall a program.
- Locate CyberGhost and uninstall it.
- Check all programs installed on your system for anything else that appears suspicious and delete them.
- You will have to access Programs and Features and to do that right-click on Start and opt for Programs and Features.
- Locate CyberGhost and uninstall it.
- If there are any other applications you don’t recognise, remove them as well.
Delete CyberGhost from your Mac OS manually
Uninstalling CyberGhost from your Mac is very easy. However, you’ll also need to remove a few remaining files as well as removing the program.
- Press on Finder (the first icon located on the left on your dock) and select Applications from the menu on the left.
- Drag CyberGhost into the trash.
- Trash any other dubious application you are not familiar with.
- Open Go to Folder by pressing Go on the menu bar and then selecting Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and if you note any other dubious files, drag them to the trash.
- Access Go to Folder again, and type /Library/Application Support. Drag any questionable files to the trash.
- Access Go to Folder again, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Drag all suspicious files to the trash.
- Return to Go to Folder, and put in /Library/LaunchDaemons. Drag all questionable files to the trash.
- Right-click on the trash icon and select Empty Trash.