Remove Comet Search [Explained]
What is Comet Search
Comet Search is a browser hijacker that will take over your browser by changing its settings. It changes the homepage to cometsearch.info, sets a different default search engine, uses the “Managed by your organization” feature to prevent users from making changes, and tries to redirect to sponsored websites. It’s not a particularly dangerous infection, and is more annoying than anything. It primarily aims to redirect users to sponsored websites instead of actively trying to cause harm.
You may come across users calling Comet Search a virus. While technically this classification would not be correct, many users refer to hijackers as such due to their unwanted changes and behaviour. They also appear seemingly out of the blue, which further convinces users that they’re viruses. However, browser hijackers don’t appear out of nowhere. They use software bundling to install, which allows them to enter essentially without permission. We will explain software bundling and how to avoid installing unwanted programs in more detail in the following section of the report.
If you notice this hijacker installed, you should remove Comet Search, the sooner the better. While it may be advertised as a useful extension, it’s anything but that. There is no need to put up with the unnecessary browser’s changes or the redirects.
Users often install browser hijackers unintentionally
Browser hijackers use software bundling to install, which is why users are often taken by surprise when they notice them on their computers. Adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUP) also use software bundling to install. Hijackers, adware and PUPs come attached to free software as extra offers and are permitted to install alongside the freeware automatically. The offers are optional but they’re purposely hidden from users, preventing them from deselecting any offers. Fortunately, as long as you pay attention to how you install programs, you should be able to easily stop the offers from installing.
When installing free programs make sure you opt for Advanced (Custom) settings instead of Default. Advanced settings will make all offers visible and give you the option of deselecting all of them. All you really need to do is uncheck the boxes of those offers. Once you have deselected everything, you can continue the installation.
Keep in mind that most free programs will come with these offers, and your computer will be full of junk in no time if you don’t deselect them. It’s easy to uncheck a couple of boxes, compared to having to uninstall pesky infections.
Should you delete Comet Search
The first and most obvious sign of a browser hijacker is changed browser’s settings. That includes a different homepage/new tabs, and a new default search engine. In this hijacker’s case, cometsearch.info would be set as the homepage, and Yahoo Search would be set as the search engine. The hijacker will also enable Google Chrome’s “Managed by your organization” feature. This is a legitimate feature that allows company administrators to manage users remotely. Administrators can install add-ons, block pages, change settings, etc. However, hijackers have started misusing this feature to prevent users from changing settings. Do not waste your time trying to undo whatever the hijacker has changed while the infection is still present because you will not be able to.
While the hijacker is present on your computer, every time you open your Google Chrome browser, you will be redirected to cometsearch.info. It will have a photo background, and a search box. If you use the search box or perform a search via your browser’s address bar, you will be redirected to Yahoo search. While Yahoo is a completely legitimate search engine, you should not be forced to use it. Furthermore, if you wanted to use it, you could go to it directed, instead of via a third-party website.
Comet Search removal
It is recommended to use anti-spyware software to delete Comet Search. This would be easiest as the anti-spyware program would take care of everything. However, you can uninstall Comet Search manually, and instructions to help you will be provided below this report.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Comet SearchTo scan for Comet Search, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like Comet Search and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove Comet Search
- Automatic Comet Search removal
- How to manually delete Comet Search from Windows
- Manual Comet Search removal from Mac OS
- Comet Search deletion from your Internet browser
- Delete Comet Search from Internet Explorer
- Comet Search deletion from Google Chrome
- Delete Comet Search from Mozilla Firefox
- Comet Search deletion from Safari
- Comet Search deletion from Microsoft Edge
Automatic Comet Search removal
Using security program like anti-spyware is the simplest way to remove Comet Search from both Mac and Windows devices. Comet Search should be uninstalled by anti-spyware easily because their aim is dealing with such infections. All you need to do is download the application, start a scan, and remove Comet Search. But if you scroll down, we will also explain manual Comet Search removal.
How to manually delete Comet Search from Windows
- Open Control Panel by clicking Start (the windows logo bottom-left corner of the screen) and then Settings.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Remove Comet Search.
- If you see any other questionable programs, delete them as well.
- Press the windows key to access start menu and press Control Panel.
- Pick Programs and Features and then Uninstall a program.
- Remove Comet Search.
- Look through all your installed programs, and delete anything else questionable.
- Right-click on Start – Programs and Features.
- Uninstall Comet Search.
- You ought to also do the same with all additional programs you don’t recognise.
Manual Comet Search removal from Mac OS
You shouldn’t have any issues with uninstalling Comet Search from your Mac computer. However, you will also need to delete a few leftover files as well as removing the program.
- Press on Finder (the first icon from the left on your dock) and select Applications from the side menu.
- Drag Comet Search into the trash.
- Do the same with any other questionable application you are not familiar with.
- Click Go located on the menu bar and then Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and look for any recently-added or otherwise questionable files and trash them.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and put in /Library/Application Support. If Any recently-added files look questionable, drag them to the trash.
- Open Go to Folder again, and type ~/Library/LaunchAgents. If you see any dubious and recently added files, trash them.
- Return to Go to Folder, and put in /Library/LaunchDaemons. If Any recently-added files seem suspicious, trash them.
- Finally, empty the trash which you can do by right-clicking on the trash icon and clicking Empty Trash.
Comet Search deletion from your Internet browser
Delete Comet Search from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Access the menu (the gear icon top-right corner), and select Manage Add-ons.
- Remove Comet Search and any other extension you don’t recognise by selecting them and clicking Remove.
- Open Internet Options through browser menu (the gear icon).
- If you open the General tab, you’ll be able to alter your homepage to a website you prefer.
- Open Manage Add-ons by opening the browser menu (the gear icon) and clicking Manage Add-ons.
- Open Search Providers (from the left side menu), remove the one set by Comet Search and set the one you prefer.
In case Comet Search is still giving you problems, it might be necessary to reset your browser’s settings to default.
- For users using computers operating Windows XP, press start and click on Run and type inetcpl.cpl, proceed to the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- For users using computers running Windows Vista/7, click the windows logo, type in inetcpl.cpl in the search box and press Enter. Open the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- If your computer is running Windows 8/10, open Internet Explorer, press on the gear icon, press Internet Options, proceed to the Advanced tab and press Reset. Press Reset again to confirm.
Comet Search deletion from Google Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Menu (the three dots) – More tools – Extensions.
- Find and delete Comet Search, as well as any other extension you do not recognise.
- Press on the three dots top-right corner of the screen and select Settings.
- In the On startup section, delete the homepage set by Comet Search and pick your preferred one.
- Access the Search engine section from the menu tab on the left, access Manage search engines, modify your search engine from the one Comet Search set for you to something of your choice.
Restoring your browser’s settings may be necessary if Comet Search is still giving you problems.
- Launch Google Chrome, press the three dots on the top-right corner, press Settings.
- Go down, press on Advanced and go down to the Reset section.
- Click Reset and then confirm your choice by clicking on Reset again.
Delete Comet Search from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Click the three bars top-right, and click Add-ons.
- Click on Extensions, locate and delete Comet Search, and any other extension you cannot identify.
- Click the menu (the three bars top right), and click Preferences.
- In the Home tab, set the homepage of your choice instead of the one set by Comet Search.
- Access the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, modify your search engine from the one set by Comet Search to something of your preference.
It might be necessary to reset your browser’s settings if Comet Search is still causing issues.
- Menu (the three bars) – Help – Troubleshoot information.
- In the window, click on Refresh Firefox.
- Click Refresh Firefox again.
Comet Search deletion from Safari
- Open Safari.
- Click Safari from the menu bar, and press on Preferences.
- Access the Extensions tab, find and delete Comet Search, as well as any other extension you don’t recognise.
- In the General tab, remove the homepage set by Comet Search and choose one of your choice.
- Proceed to the Search tab, delete the search engine set by Comet Search and choose your preferred one.
You might have to restore browser’s settings to default if you’re still having issues with Comet Search.
- Clear History by clicking on Safari (the menu bar) when the browser is open, and select Clear History.
- Click Safari (from the top menu) again – Preferences – Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- The Develop menu will be visible at the top, click on that and press on Empty Caches.
Comet Search deletion from Microsoft Edge
- Launch Microsoft Edge.
- Menu (the three dots at the top-right corner) – Extensions.
- Locate all extensions you do not know, as well as Comet Search, and delete them.
- Menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- You may change your homepage in On Startup.
- Access the Privacy and services tab, modify your search engine.
If that didn’t solve your problems, your browser’s settings will need to be restored.
- Launch Microsoft Edge, press on the three dots, select Settings, open the Reset settings tab.
- Press on Restore settings to their default values. Reset.