Remove Capitasearch Browser Virus
What is capitasearch virus
capitasearch virus refers to a browser hijacker CapitaSearch that makes unwanted browser’s setting changes without permission. It’s technically not a virus, nor it is particularly dangerous, but users often refer to such infections are viruses due to their behavior. It’s not going to harm your computer because it mainly aims to redirect you to sponsored websites and generate revenue/traffic. However, it will alter search results to include sponsored content. To be able to redirect you, the hijacker will change your homepage, new tabs and search engine. It will also enable the so called “Managed by your organization” feature, which will prevent you from undoing changes the hijacker has set.
If you are not familiar with how hijackers install, we will explain in the following section of the report. However, to explain simply, these kinds of infections are added to free software as extra offers. When users fail to deselect them when installing free programs, the offers are able to install. Fortunately, it’s easy to prevent these installations, as long as you know how.
While the hijacker may pretend to have useful features, it’s nothing more than a nuisance. The sooner you remove capitasearch virus, the sooner you can go back to regular browsing.
How do browser hijackers install
Minor infections like browser hijackers, adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) are quite widespread because they use software bundling to install. They’re often attached to free software as extra offers, which can install alongside the program without requiring users’ permission. If users do not deselect them during installation, they’re able to install alongside. They’re also purposely hidden initially to make it more difficult for users to prevent their installation.
Next time you’re installing freeware, make sure you pay attention to how you install it. In the middle of the installation, you will be asked to continue the installation either in Advanced (Custom) settings or Default. If you opt for Default settings, the offers will hidden from you and will install alongside the program. However, if you opt for Advanced, you will be given the option of deselecting all of them. After you uncheck the boxes, you can continue installing the program.
The majority of free programs will have these unwanted offers attached to them. If you want to avoid filling your computer with junk programs, you will need to start paying attention to what you install and how you do it. Especially because preventing these offers from installing is very easy compared to having to uninstall them later on.
What does capitasearch virus do?
As soon as the hijacker installs, it will change your Google Chrome’s settings. search.capita.space will be set as the homepage, new tabs and search engine. It will also enable the “Managed by your organization” feature, which will prevent you from undoing the setting changes. Everything you change will be changed back by the hijacker. Until you get rid of the hijacker, you’re stuck with search.capita.space loading every time you open your Google Chrome browser.
The site is pretty basic, it has a scenic background and a search box. If you perform a search via the site, you will be shown results generated by Yahoo. Yahoo is a perfectly legitimate search engine that generates good results. But if you wanted to use it, you could go to it directly, not get redirected via some highly questionable third-party website. Hijackers usually alter search engine results to include sponsored content.
For privacy cautious users, hijackers collecting browsing information will be worrying. Hijackers track what users search for, what sites they visit, what ads they interact with, their location, etc. All of this information could also be shared with unknown third-parties.
You can delete capitasearch virus either manually or using anti-spyware software. If you have little experience when it comes to uninstalling programs, we strongly recommend using anti-spyware software. The program will take care of everything. However, you can also uninstall capitasearch virus yourself if you know how. Once the hijacker has been deleted, you will be able to change your browser’s settings as normal.
Download Removal Toolto scan for CapitasearchTo scan for Capitasearch, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like Capitasearch and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove Capitasearch
- Automatic Capitasearch removal
- Uninstall Capitasearch from Windows manually
- Uninstall Capitasearch from your Mac OS manually
- How to remove Capitasearch from your Internet browser
- Delete Capitasearch from Internet Explorer
- Capitasearch deletion from Google Chrome
- Remove Capitasearch from Mozilla Firefox
- Capitasearch deletion from Safari
- Capitasearch removal from Microsoft Edge
Automatic Capitasearch removal
We advise using malware removal software like anti-spyware for Capitasearch removal because it is the easiest. The application will take care of everything, as uninstalling these applications is its purpose. Simply download the software, initiate a scan, and delete Capitasearch. However, it’s also possible to remove Capitasearch manually, and we will explain in the below given instructions.
Uninstall Capitasearch from Windows manually
- Access Control Panel, and to do that click Start, then Settings and finally Control Panel.
- Press on Add or Remove Programs.
- Locate and uninstall Capitasearch.
- Remove any other suspicious program you do not recognise.
- Tap the windows key to open start menu and choose Control Panel.
- Open Programs and Features – Uninstall a program.
- Find Capitasearch and delete it.
- Remove any other program that causes suspicion.
- Right-click on Start and pick Programs and Features.
- Uninstall Capitasearch.
- Look through all installed programs for other questionable applications and delete them.
Uninstall Capitasearch from your Mac OS manually
Uninstalling Capitasearch from your Mac is quite easy. However, you’ll also need to remove a few leftover files as well as deleting the program.
- Click on Finder (the first icon from the left on your dock) and click on Applications.
- Locate Capitasearch and put it to the trash (the trash icon located on the dock).
- Check all applications installed on your device for other suspicious programs and drag them into trash.
- In the menu bar, click Go – Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and search for any recently-added or otherwise dubious files and put them in the trash.
- Return to Go to Folder, and put in /Library/Application Support. If you notice any other suspicious files, put them in the trash.
- Return to Go to Folder, and type ~/Library/LaunchAgents. trash any suspicious and recently-added files.
- Return to Go to Folder, and type /Library/LaunchDaemons. Drag any dubious and recently-added files to the trash.
- Right-click on the trash icon and select Empty Trash.
How to remove Capitasearch from your Internet browser
Delete Capitasearch from Internet Explorer
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Access Manage Add-ons through the menu bar (the gear icon at the top-right).
- Click Remove on Capitasearch and all unknown extensions.
- Press on the gear icon and select Internet Options.
- Open the General tab and modify your homepage to a site of your choice.
- Press on the gear icon (top-right corner), and select Manage Add-ons.
- Click on Search Providers from the side menu, set the search engine after you delete the one set by Capitasearch.
If Capitasearch is still giving you issues, it might be necessary to restore your browser’s settings to default.
- If you’re using Windows XP, Start – Run, type inetcpl.cpl, open Advanced and click Reset.
- If your computer is running Windows Vista/7, press the windows logo, type in inetcpl.cpl in the search box and press Enter. Access the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- If your device is running Windows 8/10, open Internet Explorer, gear icon – Internet Options – Advanced tab – Reset. Confirm the reset by clicking Reset again.
Capitasearch deletion from Google Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Menu (the three dots right-corner of the screen) – More tools – Extensions.
- Locate and delete Capitasearch, and any other extension you can’t identify.
- Open Settings through the menu (the three dots top right-corner).
- You may modify your homepage in On startup.
- Go to Search engine from the menu tab on the left, click Manage search engines, change your search engine.
In case Capitasearch is still giving you issues, it may be necessary to reset your browser’s settings to default.
- Launch Google Chrome, menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- Scroll down, click Advanced and go down until you see Reset.
- Press Reset and confirm your choice.
Remove Capitasearch from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Access Add-ons through the menu (the three bars).
- Click on Extensions, find Capitasearch and any other unfamiliar extension, and delete them.
- Access Preferences through the menu (the three dots).
- In the Home tab, set your preferred homepage instead of the one set by Capitasearch.
- Open the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, delete the search engine set by Capitasearch and change it to one of your choice.
If that did not fix your problems, you will need to restore your browser’s settings to default.
- When Mozilla Firefox is open, click on the menu (the three bars), Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Click Refresh Firefox.
- Click Refresh Firefox again.
Capitasearch deletion from Safari
- Open Safari.
- Press on Safari from the menu bar, and select Preferences.
- Access the Extensions tab, identify all unfamiliar extensions, as well as Capitasearch, and remove them.
- You’ll have to modify your homepage in the General tab.
- Access the Search tab, modify your search engine.
If you’re still having problems, your browser’s settings will need to be restored.
- Clear History by clicking on Safari (the menu bar) when the browser is running, and select Clear History.
- Press on Safari (from the menu bar at the top), press Preferences and access to the Advanced tab.
- Check the box at the bottom that says Show Develop menu in the menu bar box.
- You’ll see the Develop menu at the top, press that and press on Empty Caches.
Capitasearch removal from Microsoft Edge
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Access Extensions through the menu (the three dots at the top-right corner).
- Look for Capitasearch and any other extension you don’t recognise, and delete them.
- Click the menu icon (the three dots), click Settings.
- Access the On startup tab, you will see a homepage set by Capitasearch, set it to one you prefer.
- Open the Privacy and services tab, modify your search engine from the one set by Capitasearch to something else.
Resetting your browser’s settings to default might be necessary if Capitasearch is still giving you issues.
- Launch Microsoft Edge, open menu (the three dots), select Settings, open the Reset settings tab.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Confirm the reset.