Remove BrowserModifier [Explained]
What is BrowserModifier
Detected by anti-virus programs like Avast, Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, AVG, Symantec as BrowserModifier, it’s an adware program that will show on your screen. It isn’t an overly serious infection, compared to what else is out there. While adware shouldn’t cause harm to your system, dealing with it’ll be highly irritating. The most clear signs of adware are being redirected to strange pages all of a sudden, and an increase in adverts and pop-ups when browsing. Adware is not exactly a damaging infection itself, but the adverts it shows are another story. Since the advertisements aren’t checked, they may be advertising all types of questionable things, such as fake giveaways, malware, and tech-support scams.
Software bundling is usually how adware is installed on a system. Adware, as well as other infections, comes adjoined as an additional offer to free software. The offers are not mandatory but most users end up installing them anyway, generally because they are not aware of them. It is possible to prevent these nonessential installations, and we will explain in the following section of the article.
Software bundling is used to distribute adware
The bundling method is often used by adware to install on users’ PCs because no one would install it otherwise. By using this method, adware can install essentially without users even noticing it, as it comes adjoined to popular free programs as an extra offer. The offers are optional but are made to install by default and concealed, which is why this way of installation is pretty controversial. Many users miss those offers during free software installation because they are not paying sufficient attention.
When installing software in the future, we prompt you to pay attention to what you’re doing. When installing freeware, ensure you pick Advanced (Custom) settings and not Default. Those settings will show everything that’s been added and give you the option to uncheck everything.
Adware may expose to harmful ads
By itself, adware isn’t especially damaging, but while it doesn’t directly damage the PC, it isn’t totally harmless either. The adware can adjoin itself to all main browsers, such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, and show suspicious advertisements. While adware is installed, you best avoid pressing on any adverts as they might be harmful. Certain adverts you should lookout for the most. Tech-support scams, ads false update notifications, and pop-ups declaring you’ve won something are what you should lookout for the most. If you are careless, crooks may steal your sensitive data, and you may infect your system with malicious software.
Avast, Kaspersky, Symantec, Malwarebytes, AVG and other anti-virus programs identify the infection as BrowserModifier. Use the anti-virus software to eliminate BrowserModifier.
Ways to delete BrowserModifier
If you have no idea how programs are uninstalled, using anti-virus software for BrowserModifier deletion might be best. Trying to manually erase BrowserModifier might be possible but you may not notice leftover files.
Download Removal Toolto scan for BrowserModifierTo scan for BrowserModifier, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like BrowserModifier and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove BrowserModifier
- Delete BrowserModifier with malware removal software
- Manual BrowserModifier removal from Windows
- How to manually uninstall BrowserModifier from Mac OS
- How to uninstall BrowserModifier from your Internet browser
- Delete BrowserModifier from Internet Explorer
- Delete BrowserModifier from Google Chrome
- Uninstall BrowserModifier from Mozilla Firefox
- BrowserModifier deletion from Safari
- BrowserModifier deletion from Microsoft Edge
Delete BrowserModifier with malware removal software
Using anti-spyware or other malware removal program is the simplest way to uninstall BrowserModifier from both Mac and Windows computers. The program will do everything, as that is what it is designed to do. Simply download the application, initiate a scan, and uninstall BrowserModifier. But if you continue reading, we’ll also explain manual BrowserModifier removal.
Manual BrowserModifier removal from Windows
- You will need to access Control Panel, and to do that click Start, then Settings and then Control Panel.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Remove BrowserModifier.
- We suggest doing the same with all additional unfamiliar programs.
- Tap the windows key to open start menu and select Control Panel.
- Access Programs and Features – Uninstall a program.
- Remove BrowserModifier.
- Delete any other suspicious application you do not recognise.
- Right-click on Start – Programs and Features.
- Locate BrowserModifier and uninstall it.
- Check the programs installed on your system, and uninstall anything else suspicious.
How to manually uninstall BrowserModifier from Mac OS
Removing BrowserModifier from your Mac computer is not difficult. However, you’ll also have to delete a few related files in addition to uninstalling the application.
- Access Finder – Applications.
- Find BrowserModifier and trash it (the trash icon located on the dock).
- It is also suggested to go through all other programs for any other dubious programs, and if there’s anything, remove it/them.
- Access Go to Folder from the Go menu in your menu bar.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and drag to the trash any suspicious and recently-added files.
- Return to Go to Folder, and put in /Library/Application Support. trash any questionable and recently-added files.
- Access Go to Folder again, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Look for any recently-added or otherwise dubious files and drag them to the trash.
- Open Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/LaunchDaemons. Search for any recently-added or otherwise questionable files and trash them.
- Don’t forget to empty the trash which you can do by right-clicking on the trash icon and clicking Empty Trash.
How to uninstall BrowserModifier from your Internet browser
Delete BrowserModifier from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Open the menu (the gear icon top-right corner), and choose Manage Add-ons.
- Delete BrowserModifier and any other unknown extension by selecting them and pressing Remove.
- Open Internet Options via browser menu (the gear icon).
- If you open the General tab, you’ll be able to change your homepage to a web page of your preference.
- Open Manage Add-ons by opening the browser menu (the gear icon) and pressing Manage Add-ons.
- Click Search Providers (from the left side menu, set the search engine to your preferred one after you delete the one BrowserModifier set as the default.
If BrowserModifier is still giving you problems, it’ll be necessary to restore your browser’s settings to default.
- If your computer is running Windows XP, Start – Run, type inetcpl.cpl, open Advanced and click Reset.
- For users using devices running Windows Vista/7, click the windows logo, type in inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Access the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- For Windows 8/10 users, launch Internet Explorer, gear icon – Internet Options – Advanced tab – Reset. Click Reset again to confirm.
Delete BrowserModifier from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome.
- Menu (the three dots) – More tools – Extensions.
- Find all unfamiliar extensions, as well as BrowserModifier, and delete them.
- Open Settings through the menu (the three dots top right-corner).
- In the On startup section, set your preferred homepage instead of the one set by BrowserModifier.
- Proceed to Search engine from the menu on the left, then Manage search engines, modify your search engine.
You will need to reset your browser’s settings if you’re still having problems with BrowserModifier.
- Open Google Chrome, menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- Scroll down, press on Advanced and scroll down to the Reset section.
- Press on Reset and confirm your choice in the new window.
Uninstall BrowserModifier from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Open the menu (the three bars on the top-right corner), and then click on Add-ons.
- Open Extensions, identify all unfamiliar extensions, as well as BrowserModifier, and delete them.
- Access Preferences via the menu (the three dots).
- Access the Home tab, you’ll see that BrowserModifier set a strange page as your homepage, set it to one of your preference.
- Proceed to the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, remove the search engine set by BrowserModifier and set it to something of your choice.
In case you’re still struggling with BrowserModifier, your browser’s settings will have to be restored to default.
- Menu (the three bars) – Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Click Refresh Firefox.
- Confirm your choice by pressing Refresh Firefox again.
BrowserModifier deletion from Safari
- Open Safari.
- Safari (from the menu bar at the top) – Preferences.
- Access the Extensions tab, locate and delete BrowserModifier, and any other extension you don’t recognise.
- In the General tab, remove the page BrowserModifier set as your homepage and set one of your preference.
- Open the Search tab, modify your search engine from the one set by BrowserModifier to something else.
If you are still struggling with BrowserModifier, it’ll be necessary to restore your browser’s settings to default.
- Open Safari, press on Safari from the menu bar, and press Clear History.
- Click Safari (from the top menu) again – Preferences – Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- The Develop menu will become visible at the top, press that and click on Empty Caches.
BrowserModifier deletion from Microsoft Edge
- Launch Microsoft Edge.
- Menu (the three dots at the top-right corner) – Extensions.
- Find all unknown extensions, as well as BrowserModifier, and delete them.
- Access Settings via the menu (the three dots).
- Navigate to the On startup tab, delete the homepage set by BrowserModifier and pick one of your preference.
- Go to Privacy and services tab, modify your search engine from the one set by BrowserModifier to something of your choice.
In case BrowserModifier is still there, your browser’s settings might have to be reset to default.
- Open Microsoft Edge menu (the three dots) – Settings – Reset settings.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Reset.