Remove Browse Moment browser hijacker
About Browse Moment browser hijacker
Browse Moment browser hijacker is a pretty minor infection that will hijack your browser and change its settings without permission. The hijacker aims to expose you to a highly questionable search engine in order to redirect to sponsored websites. The main thing this infection does is it changes your default search engine, meaning all your searchers will go through a couple of rogue websites and finally via searchnewshighlights.com. The search results that this highly questionable search engine shows will be full of sponsored content, which could lead you to potentially dangerous websites, such as those concealing malware or promoting scams.
Browser hijackers usually install via freeware bundles, meaning they come attached to free programs that users install. So the reason the hijacker is on your computer is because you installed a free program that had this hijacker attached to it. We will explain in the following section how you can avoid this kind of situation in the future.
The hijacker is not going to harm your computer directly, as that is not its main intention. However, hijackers do redirect to certain websites, some of which could be dangerous. If that’s not reason enough to delete Browse Moment browser hijacker, you won’t be able to undo the browser’s setting changes while the hijacker remains installed.
How do hijackers install
Browser hijackers, adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) install via freeware bundles. Essentially, those unwanted programs come attached to freeware as extra offers, and they’re permitted to install alongside automatically, without users needing to permit it. The offers are optional and users can deselect them but they’re purposely hidden initially. So if users aren’t paying attention to how they install programs, they end up installing these unwanted offers.
It’s, fortunately, quite easy to prevent these unwanted offers from installing, as long as you pay attention to program installation. When given the option, opt for Advanced (Custom) settings instead of Default, and uncheck the boxes of all offers. If you install programs in Default, the offers will be hidden and will install alongside automatically.
Most free programs will come with these free offers attached, and it’s important that you always deselect them. Otherwise, you computer will quickly fill up with junk that’s difficult to get rid of. Unchecking a few boxes during installation is very simply and takes little time. However, uninstalling them later on can take ages.
What does a browser hijacker do?
Browser hijackers aim to redirect users to sponsored sites. In order to do that, they need to hijack browsers and change their settings. Setting changes include a different homepage and search engine. Search results will be generated by a questionable search engine, which will insert sponsored content into results. This will affect all popular browsers, including Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer. And once the settings have been changed, they will be irreversible while the hijacker remains installed.
When this hijacker is installed, if you perform a search via your browser’s address bar, you will be redirected to barosearch.com -> my-search.com -> amazonaws.com -> searchnewshighlights.com. Search results will be far from reliable as they will include a lot of advertisement and sponsored content. It’s not a good idea to interact with those search results because they could lead you to highly questionable websites that could be promoting various scams or hiding malware.
These browser changes and redirects to questionable websites make browsing while a hijacker is installed very annoying. You won’t get reliable search results, will get redirected to questionable pages, see ads everywhere, and be unable to control how you browse. Furthermore, the hijacker will track you as you go about your business. It will record what sites you visit, what content you engage with, what you search for, etc. This information will later be shared with third-parties as well.
Browse Moment browser hijacker removal
The easiest way to uninstall Browse Moment browser hijacker would be to use anti-spyware software. These programs are designed to deal with hijackers, adware and the like. You can, however, remove Browse Moment browser hijacker manually, and we will provide instructions below this report to help you.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Browse Moment browser hijackerTo scan for Browse Moment browser hijacker, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like Browse Moment browser hijacker and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove Browse Moment browser hijacker
- Uninstall Browse Moment browser hijacker with anti-spyware software
- How to manually delete Browse Moment browser hijacker from Windows
- How to manually uninstall Browse Moment browser hijacker from Mac OS
- How to delete Browse Moment browser hijacker from your Internet browser
- Remove Browse Moment browser hijacker from Internet Explorer
- How to delete Browse Moment browser hijacker from Google Chrome
- Uninstall Browse Moment browser hijacker from Mozilla Firefox
- Browse Moment browser hijacker removal from Safari
- How to delete Browse Moment browser hijacker from Microsoft Edge
Uninstall Browse Moment browser hijacker with anti-spyware software
It’s a good idea to use anti-spyware or some other security program for Browse Moment browser hijacker removal because it is the easiest. Browse Moment browser hijacker should be removed by anti-spyware with no trouble because their purpose is dealing with these types of threats. To remove Browse Moment browser hijacker, all you have to do is download the program and scan your system. However, it is also possible to remove Browse Moment browser hijacker manually, and we will explain in the below provided instructions.
How to manually delete Browse Moment browser hijacker from Windows
- Start – Settings – Control Panel.
- Click on Add or Remove Programs.
- Delete Browse Moment browser hijacker.
- Do the same to all other programs you do not recognise.
- Tap the windows key to access start menu and select Control Panel.
- Access Programs and Features – Uninstall a program.
- Remove Browse Moment browser hijacker.
- Uninstall any other program that causes suspicion.
- You will have to access Programs and Features by right-clicking on Start and selecting Programs and Features.
- Delete Browse Moment browser hijacker.
- The same ought to be done to all other applications you don’t recognise.
How to manually uninstall Browse Moment browser hijacker from Mac OS
Uninstalling Browse Moment browser hijacker from your Mac is not difficult. However, you’ll also have to delete a couple of related files in addition to uninstalling the application.
- Click on Finder (the first icon located on the left on your dock) and press on Applications.
- Drag Browse Moment browser hijacker into the trash.
- Trash any other questionable application you are unfamiliar with.
- If you click Go on the menu bar, you’ll see Go to Folder, click that.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and search for any recently-added or otherwise questionable files and drag them to the trash.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and type /Library/Application Support. trash any dubious and recently-added files.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Drag all dubious files to the trash.
- Access Go to Folder again, and type /Library/LaunchDaemons. If you notice any suspicious and recently added files, put them in the trash.
- Do not forget to empty the trash by right-clicking on the trash icon and clicking Empty Trash.
How to delete Browse Moment browser hijacker from your Internet browser
Remove Browse Moment browser hijacker from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Open Manage Add-ons through the menu bar (the gear icon at the top-right).
- Uninstall Browse Moment browser hijacker and any other unknown extension by selecting them and clicking Remove.
- Click the gear icon and select Internet Options.
- If you open the General tab, you’ll be able to modify your homepage site.
- Press on the gear icon (top-right corner), and select Manage Add-ons.
- Click Search Providers (from the menu on the left), change the search engine to your choice after you delete the one Browse Moment browser hijacker set as the default.
If Browse Moment browser hijacker is still causing problems, resetting your browser settings may be necessary.
- If your device is running Windows XP, Start – Run, type inetcpl.cpl, open Advanced and click Reset.
- If you are using Windows Vista/7, press the windows logo, type in inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- For Windows 8/10 users, open Internet Explorer, click the gear icon, press on Internet Options, access the Advanced tab and press Reset. Click Reset again to confirm.
How to delete Browse Moment browser hijacker from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome.
- Menu (the three dots) – More tools – Extensions.
- Find all unfamiliar extensions, as well as Browse Moment browser hijacker, and delete them.
- Open the menu again and press on Settings.
- In the On startup section, set your preferred homepage instead of the one set by Browse Moment browser hijacker.
- Go to Search engine from the menu on the left, access Manage search engines, delete the search engine set by Browse Moment browser hijacker and pick your preferred one.
In case Browse Moment browser hijacker is still giving you issues, your browser’s settings might need to be reset to default.
- Launch Google Chrome, menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- Go down, click Advanced and go down until you see Reset.
- Click on Reset and confirm your choice in the warning window.
Uninstall Browse Moment browser hijacker from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Click the menu (the three bars), and press Add-ons.
- Access Extensions, locate and delete Browse Moment browser hijacker, and any other extension you don’t recognise.
- Access Preferences via the menu (the three dots).
- You’ll have to modify your homepage in the Home tab.
- Go to the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, change your search engine from the one set by Browse Moment browser hijacker to something of your preference.
If Browse Moment browser hijacker is still giving you issues, restoring your browser settings will be necessary.
- Open Mozilla Firefox, press the three bars at the top-right corner of the screen, Help – Troubleshoot information.
- In the new window, click on Refresh Firefox.
- Press Refresh Firefox again.
Browse Moment browser hijacker removal from Safari
- Open Safari.
- Safari (from the menu bar at the top) – Preferences.
- Open the Extensions tab, find and remove Browse Moment browser hijacker, as well as any other unknown extension.
- You will have to change your homepage in the General tab.
- Go to the Search tab, modify your search engine.
If Browse Moment browser hijacker is still giving you issues, it might be necessary to restore your browser’s settings to default.
- Clear History by pressing on Safari (the menu bar) when the browser is open, and select Clear History.
- Safari – Preferences – Advanced tab.
- Check the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- The Develop menu will become visible at the top, press that and click on Empty Caches.
How to delete Browse Moment browser hijacker from Microsoft Edge
- Launch Microsoft Edge.
- Menu (the three dots at the top-right corner) – Extensions.
- Find and remove Browse Moment browser hijacker, and any other unfamiliar extension.
- Access Settings through the menu (the three dots).
- In the On startup tab, delete the homepage set by Browse Moment browser hijacker and set your preferred one.
- Proceed to Privacy and services tab, change your search engine from the one Browse Moment browser hijacker set for you to something else.
If you are still having issues, your browser’s settings will need to be restored.
- Open Microsoft Edge menu (the three dots) – Settings – Reset settings.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Reset.