ActivePower is a browser hijacker that probably entered your OS via freeware bundles. Hijackers generally arrive together with freeware, and can install without the user actually seeing. If you do not want these kinds of threats inhabiting your PC, be careful about what you install. Hijackers are not classified to be dangerous themselves but they do behave in an unnecessary way. For one, they modify browser’s settings so that the websites they’re advertising are set as your homepages and new tabs. Your search engine will also be modified into one that may be injecting sponsored content into search results. You’re redirected because the browser hijacker aims to boost traffic for certain pages, and in turn, make income for owners.
You should also know that if you get rerouted to a dangerous page, you could easily get your computer infected with a malware. And a severe malicious software threat would be more trouble than you think. Browser redirects tend to pretend they have handy features but you can find proper extensions doing the same thing, which will not redirect you to weird malware. You need to also know that some browser hijackers can monitor user behavior and collect certain information to know what type of content you’re likely to press on. That data could also end up in questionable third-party hands. If you wish to avoid it affecting your OS further, you should take the time to uninstall ActivePower.
What you need to know about these infections
You possibly encountered the hijacker unintentionally, when you were installing free applications. It is unlikely that you got it in any other way, as no one would install them willingly. Because people do not pay attention to how they install programs, this method authorizes browser redirects and similar threats to spread. To prevent their installation, you have to uncheck them, but since they are hiding, they might not be noticed by rushing the process. Choosing Default mode would be a mistake because they won’t display anything. Instead, opt for Advanced or Custom mode as they will not only make attached offers visible but also give an opportunity to uncheck everything. Unmarking all the offers is encouraged so as to prevent unfamiliar application installations. All you have to do is uncheck the offers that become visible, and you can then continue freeware installation. Having to deal with these threats could be aggravating so you would do yourself a great favor if you initially prevented them. You are also recommended to not download from suspicious sources as you can easily get malicious program this way.
Whether you are a computer-savvy person or not, you will be aware when a browser redirect is installed. It will modify your browser’s settings, set a weird website as your home web page, new tabs and search engine, and it’ll do that without needing your permission. All well-known browsers will possibly be altered, such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. The page will greet you every time your browser is launched, and this will go on until you uninstall ActivePower from your operating system. Changing the settings back would a wild-goose chase as the hijacker will modify them again. It is also likely that your search engine will be changed, which would mean that whenever you use the browser’s address bar to look for something, results would created from the browser redirect’s set search engine. As the infection is intending to redirect you, it is probable you’ll come across advertisement links in the results. Owners of certain web pages intend to boost traffic to earn more revenue, and hijackers are used to reroute you to them. Increased traffic helps site owners make revenue since more users are likely to engage with the adverts. If you click on those web pages, you will be taken to totally unrelated web pages, where you will see no appropriate data. Or they might seem real, for example, if you were to search for ‘antivirus’, you might get results for sites promoting dubious products but they may look entirely real at first. You ought to also keep in mind that redirect viruses are able to redirect to malware harboring websites. You should also know that hijackers snoop on you in order to get data about what you click on, what pages you visit, your search queries and so on. Third-parties could also access the info, and then use it to make more personalized advertisements. The data might also be used by the browser hijacker for the purposes of making sponsored content which you would be more prone to pressing on. We are sure that the reroute virus doesn’t belong on your device, so uninstall ActivePower. Since the reroute virus will no longer be there to stop you, after you carry out the process, ensure you undo the hijacker’s performed alterations.
While the infection won’t bring about as severe consequences as some others would, we still encourage that you eliminate ActivePower sooner rather than later. You will need to pick from manual and automatic methods for disposing of the browser hijacker and, neither of which ought to bring about issues. You will have to locate the browser hijacker yourself if you opt for the former method. While the process might take more time than you expect, the process ought to be pretty straightforward, and if you need help, guidelines will be provided below this article. By following the instructions, you should not encounter issues when attempting to get rid of it. It should not be the first option for those who don’t have much experience with computers, however. Acquiring spyware elimination software for the elimination of the infection could best in that case. The software will discover the threat and once it does, all you need to do is give it authorization to get rid of the hijacker. You have successfully gotten rid of the threat if you are able to nullify the alterations the hijacker carried out to your browser. If the same page keeps loading even after altering the settings, your device is still inhabited by the browser hijacker. Do your best to avoid browser hijacker in the future, and that means you should be more cautious about how you install software. In order to have an uncluttered computer, good habits are a must.
Download Removal Toolto scan for ActivePowerTo scan for ActivePower, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like ActivePower and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove ActivePower
- Automatic ActivePower removal
- Manual ActivePower removal from Windows
- Remove ActivePower from your Mac OS manually
- ActivePower deletion from your Internet browser
- How to remove ActivePower from Internet Explorer
- How to remove ActivePower from Google Chrome
- Remove ActivePower from Mozilla Firefox
- Remove ActivePower from Safari
- Uninstall ActivePower from Microsoft Edge
Automatic ActivePower removal
Using malware removal program like anti-spyware to remove ActivePower is highly recommended. Anti-spyware programs are designed to delete all types of infections so they shouldn’t have problems with ActivePower. Simply download the application, start a scan, and delete ActivePower. However, it is also possible to uninstall ActivePower manually, and the below given instructions will guide you.
Manual ActivePower removal from Windows
- Press Start (the windows logo located bottom-left corner of the screen) or tap the window key on your keyboard, choose Settings and then Control Panel.
- Click on Add or Remove Programs.
- Locate and delete ActivePower.
- Look through all programs installed on your system for anything else that’s dubious and get rid of them.
- Tap the windows key to access start menu and press Control Panel.
- Open Programs and Features – Uninstall a program.
- Uninstall ActivePower.
- It is also a good idea to go through all other applications for anything else suspicious, and if there’s anything, delete it/them.
- Right-click on Start – Programs and Features.
- Locate ActivePower and remove it.
- We advise doing the same with all additional not familiar applications.
Remove ActivePower from your Mac OS manually
Deleting ActivePower from a Mac computer is quite simple. But we will also guide you through removing any leftover files after ActivePower deletion.
- Click on Finder (the first icon from the left on your dock) and press on Applications.
- Put ActivePower into the trash.
- Look through all installed applications for other dubious applications and put them into trash.
- Press Go from the menu bar and then Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and search for any recently-added or otherwise questionable files and trash them.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and type /Library/Application Support. trash any suspicious and recently-added files.
- Return to Go to Folder, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Look for any recently-added or otherwise questionable files and trash them.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and type /Library/LaunchDaemons. Put to the trash any suspicious and recently-added files.
- Right-click on the trash icon and select Empty Trash.
ActivePower deletion from your Internet browser
How to remove ActivePower from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Access the menu (the gear icon top-right corner), and select Manage Add-ons.
- Click Remove on ActivePower and all extensions you aren’t familiar with.
- Open Internet Options through browser menu (the gear icon).
- If you access the General tab, you will be able to alter your homepage website.
- Open Manage Add-ons by opening the browser menu (the gear icon) and clicking Manage Add-ons.
- Go to the Search Providers tab (from the left side menu), delete the ActivePower set one and set the one you prefer.
Your browser’s settings will need to be reset if ActivePower is still present.
- For Windows XP users, press start and open Run and put in inetcpl.cpl, access the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- For users using devices running Windows Vista/7, click the windows logo, type inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Proceed to the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- If your computer is running Windows 8/10, open Internet Explorer, gear icon – Internet Options – Advanced tab – Reset. Click Reset again to confirm.
How to remove ActivePower from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome.
- Menu (the three dots) – More tools – Extensions.
- Find and remove ActivePower, and any other extension you cannot identify.
- Access Settings via the menu (the three dots top right-corner).
- Access On startup, you will see that ActivePower set an odd web page as your homepage, change it to one you prefer.
- Proceed to Search engine from the menu on the left, access Manage search engines, delete the search engine ActivePower set for you and choose your preferred one.
If ActivePower is still causing you issues, your browser’s settings may need to be restored to default.
- Launch Google Chrome, menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- Go down, click Advanced and scroll down to the Reset section.
- Press Reset and then affirm your choice by clicking on Reset again.
Remove ActivePower from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Open Add-ons via the menu (the three bars).
- Access Extensions, locate and remove ActivePower, and any other unfamiliar extension.
- Menu (the three bars) – Preferences.
- Access the Home tab, you’ll see a homepage set by ActivePower, set it to one you prefer.
- Go to the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, change your search engine from the one ActivePower set for you to something of your choice.
If ActivePower is still giving you problems, it’ll be necessary to restore your browser’s settings to default.
- Menu (the three bars) – Help – Troubleshoot information.
- In the window, press Refresh Firefox.
- Click Refresh Firefox again.
Remove ActivePower from Safari
- Open Safari.
- Click Safari from the menu bar, and press on Preferences.
- Open the Extensions tab, find and remove ActivePower, and any other unknown extension.
- In the General tab, delete the web page ActivePower set as your homepage and pick one of your choice.
- Go to the Search tab, modify your search engine from the one ActivePower set for you to something else.
If that didn’t solve your issues, you’ll need to reset your browser’s settings to default.
- Open Safari, press on Safari (on the menu bar at the top), and press Clear History.
- Press on Safari (from the menu bar at the top), press Preferences and access to the Advanced tab.
- Check the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- Empty the Caches by clicking on the Develop menu and then selecting Empty Caches.
Uninstall ActivePower from Microsoft Edge
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Menu (the three dots at the top-right corner) – Extensions.
- Locate and remove ActivePower, and any other unfamiliar extension.
- Menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- In the On startup tab, remove the homepage set by ActivePower and set your preferred one.
- Go to Privacy and services tab, change your search engine from the one set by ActivePower to something of your choice.
If that did not fix your issues, you will have to reset your browser’s settings.
- Open Microsoft Edge, open menu (the three dots), select Settings, open the Reset settings tab.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Reset.