4-search.com browser hijacker is also referred to as a redirect virus, and mainly targets Mac devices. While they are sometimes referred to as viruses, browser hijackers aren’t severe system infections as they do not aim to do direct damage. Hijackers’ primary goal is to redirect users to sponsored pages and generate traffic/revenue, which is why you shouldn’t consider them as benign infections. The way hijackers behave instantly gives them away, although they use a sly method to install. You’ll observe that your browser is acting oddly, search results will be a mixture of sponsored content and real results and you will be randomly redirected. Because some people are not aware of what hijackers are, they will not naturally associate them with the unusual behaviour. Simply looking into the symptoms/website redirected to with a search engine generally points users in the correct direction.
The hijacker won’t only redirect you, but will also make browser setting modifications. It’ll be evident that your browser now has a different homepage/new tabs, and it may be complicated to reverse what has been modified. It is because they alter browser’s settings that hijackers are able to redirect you.
While plenty of users may think that hijackers are viruses or malware, they are not, which is why they need you to install them. It is users themselves that permit them to install, even if they don’t do it knowingly. The hijackers, among other infections like adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), use the bundling method to install, which essentially is adding them to freeware as extra offers which can install alongside. Avoiding these unnecessary installation is not complicated, and the next section of the report will explain how to do it.
It is one of the less dangerous things you may infect your device with, but the quicker you carry out 4-search.com deletion, the better. In addition to disrupting your regular browsing, the hijacker may be able to expose you to malware, scams and other content that’s harmful to your computer.
Browser hijacker spread methods
As we have mentioned above, browser hijackers install together with freeware. In what’s called program bundling, hijackers are attached as additional items to freeware, and could install alongside without asking users’ authorization. Program bundling is quite dubious since while the items are set to install with the freeware, users do not initially notice them. It shouldn’t be difficult to stop these items from installing if you are attentive when installing freeware.
The most essential part is picking Advanced (Custom) settings when installing free programs. Otherwise, the items will stay hidden. If the software comes with some offer attached, it will be made visible in Advanced settings, and you will have the choice of deselecting it. All that’s necessary is unchecking the offers, and they’ll be stopped from installing. Initially blocking unnecessary installations takes seconds, but it’s increasingly more time consuming to get rid of already installed infections. You will be avoiding cluttering your computer with worthless rubbish if you pay attention to software installation.
Is the hijacker harmful
Since they hijack frequently used browsers like Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, and then cause redirects to weird pages, a hijacker infection will become obvious very quickly. Once your browser is launched, you will instantly see that your homepage and new tabs have been altered to show the hijacker’s promoted website. Another change made to your browser is your search engine. When you carry out a search via your browser address bar, you will be redirected to the hijacker’s promoted website and shown modified search results. Look out for for sponsored content which may be mixed in with the valid results. By redirecting you to certain websites, hijackers can generate traffic and income. The off redirects make hijackers not only aggravating infections but also dangerous. Avoid any interaction with advertising or sponsored content until the redirect virus is gone from your computer. Web pages you’ll be redirected to may be unsecure because they aren’t checked. You might be led to a malicious software-infected web pages, or one that’s advertising scams. Even if hijackers don’t do direct damage to your system, they should not be kept installed.
We should also say that browser hijackers spy on users, and collect various data related their searches, visited web pages, IP address and more. It is doubtful that you want the hijacker to record that information, let alone share it with unknown third-parties.
In short, the hijacker is quite disruptive because its installation is fundamentally unauthorized, it makes not wanted browser changes, and leads to possibly damaging pages. 4-search.com deletion is necessary, and the sooner it is done the better.
It would be easiest to use anti-spyware software to remove 4-search.com. Spyware removal software are made to assist users in dealing with infections of this kind. For more tech-savvy users, manual 4-search.com removal shouldn’t cause too many problems. You should have no issues restoring your browser’s settings back to what they were after you remove 4-search.com fully.
Download Removal Toolto scan for 4-search.comTo scan for 4-search.com, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like 4-search.com and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove 4-search.com
- Automatic 4-search.com removal
- How to manually delete 4-search.com from Windows
- Uninstall 4-search.com from your Mac OS manually
- 4-search.com deletion from your Internet browser
- Remove 4-search.com from Internet Explorer
- Remove 4-search.com from Google Chrome
- Delete 4-search.com from Mozilla Firefox
- How to remove 4-search.com from Safari
- 4-search.com deletion from Microsoft Edge
Automatic 4-search.com removal
Using anti-spyware or other security software to delete 4-search.com is recommended. The program will do everything, as uninstalling these programs is its aim. These programs are easy enough to operate and ought to have no trouble removing 4-search.com. However, it is also possible to remove 4-search.com manually, and the below given instructions will explain how.
How to manually delete 4-search.com from Windows
- Open Control Panel by clicking Start (the windows logo bottom-left corner of the screen) and then Settings.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Remove 4-search.com.
- You ought to also do the same with all additional not familiar programs.
- Click Start (the windows logo) or tap the windows key – Control Panel.
- Choose Programs and Features and then Uninstall a program.
- Find 4-search.com and uninstall it.
- If you see any other suspicious applications, uninstall them as well.
- You’ll have to access Programs and Features and to do that right-click on Start and select Programs and Features.
- Remove 4-search.com.
- You should also do the same with all additional applications you do not recognise.
Uninstall 4-search.com from your Mac OS manually
Uninstalling 4-search.com from a Mac is quite simple. But we will also guide you through removing some leftover files after 4-search.com deletion.
- Access Finder – Applications.
- In Applications, locate 4-search.com and drag it into the trash or right-click on the application and click Move to Trash.
- Look through all your installed programs, and remove anything else you don’t recognise.
- In the menu bar, press Go – Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and drag any dubious files to the trash.
- Access Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/Application Support. Put to the trash any dubious and recently-added files.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Drag to the trash any questionable and recently-added files.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and put in /Library/LaunchDaemons. Put to the trash any suspicious and recently-added files.
- Right-click on the trash icon and press Empty Trash.
4-search.com deletion from your Internet browser
Remove 4-search.com from Internet Explorer
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Access Manage Add-ons through the menu bar (the gear icon at the top-right).
- Uninstall 4-search.com and any other unfamiliar extension by clicking on them and clicking Remove.
- Access Internet Options by pressing the gear icon and selecting Internet Options.
- If you access the General tab, you’ll be able to modify your homepage web page.
- Press on the gear icon (top-right corner), and press on Manage Add-ons.
- Press Search Providers (from the menu on the left), change the search engine to your preference after you delete the one 4-search.com set as the default.
If you are still having trouble, your browser’s settings will need to be reset.
- If your computer is running Windows XP, Start – Run, type inetcpl.cpl, access Advanced and click Reset.
- For users using computers running Windows Vista/7, click the windows logo, type in inetcpl.cpl in the search box and press Enter. Access the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- For Windows 8/10 users, launch Internet Explorer, press on the gear icon, press Internet Options, access the Advanced tab and press Reset. Press Reset again.
Remove 4-search.com from Google Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Menu (the three dots) – More tools – Extensions.
- Locate and remove 4-search.com, as well as any other unknown extension.
- Press on the three dots top-right corner of the screen and press on Settings.
- You will have to change your homepage in On startup.
- Go to Search engine from the menu on the left, click Manage search engines, remove the search engine 4-search.com set for you and change it to something of your preference.
If 4-search.com is still giving you issues, your browser’s settings will need to be restored to default.
- Open Google Chrome, menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- Go down, press on Advanced and go down to the Reset section.
- Press Reset and affirm your choice.
Delete 4-search.com from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Menu (the three top right corner bars) – Add-ons.
- Access Extensions, locate and remove 4-search.com, and any other unfamiliar extension.
- Open menu again, and press Preferences.
- In the Home tab, remove the site 4-search.com set as your homepage and choose your preferred one.
- Access the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, change your search engine from the one 4-search.com set for you to something else.
If you are still having problems, your browser’s settings will have to be restored.
- Launch Mozilla Firefox, press the three bars at the top-right corner of the screen, Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Press Refresh Firefox in the new window.
- Click Refresh Firefox again.
How to remove 4-search.com from Safari
- Launch Safari.
- Safari (from the menu bar at the top) – Preferences.
- Access the Extensions tab, locate and remove 4-search.com, as well as any other unfamiliar extension.
- You will need to change your homepage in the General tab.
- Access the Search tab, delete the search engine 4-search.com set for you and change it to something you prefer.
Your browser’s settings will have to be reset if 4-search.com is still there.
- Clear History by pressing on Safari (the menu bar) when the browser is running, and click on Clear History.
- Click Safari (from the top menu) again – Preferences – Advanced tab.
- Tick the box at the bottom that says Show Develop menu in the menu bar box.
- Click on Develop (on the menu bar) and then on Empty Caches.
4-search.com deletion from Microsoft Edge
- Launch Microsoft Edge.
- Press the three dots at the top-right corner of the screen, and press Extensions.
- Find and remove 4-search.com, and any other unfamiliar extension.
- Click the menu icon (the three dots), click Settings.
- You can modify your homepage in On Startup.
- Open the Privacy and services tab, modify your search engine from the one 4-search.com set for you to something of your preference.
In case you’re still having issues with 4-search.com, your browser’s settings may have to be reset to default.
- Open Microsoft Edge menu (the three dots) – Settings – Reset settings.
- Press on Restore settings to their default values. Reset.