ProgressTrend Removal [Explained]
What is ProgressTrend
ProgressTrend is an adware/browser hijacker program that targets Mac computers. It’s not a serious infection, more an annoyance than actually dangerous. It hijacks browsers, changes their settings, sets questionable sites as homepages, tries to redirect you to strange sites and shows you loads of ads. It shouldn’t do anything harmful to the computer but its generated ads are a different story. It will expose you to all kinds of ads, some of which could be potentially dangerous. You could be redirected to sites promoting scams or malware. So if you notice this potentially unwanted program (PUP) installed on your computer, you need remove ProgressTrend immediately. And until you do, avoid clicking on all ads.
You may be confused about how it installed in the first place. It’s more than likely that it was attached to some free program you installed, and you did not notice. This is called software bundling. The offers, usually PUP infections, come attached to free software as extra offers, which allows them to install alongside. You can fortunately easily stop these unwanted installations, as long as you know how. And we will explain in the following section of the report.
How did ProgressTrend install
Because programs like ProgressTrend would not be installed otherwise, they use the bundling method. It’s essentially adding adware, browser hijackers and all kinds of PUPs to free software as extra offers. The offers are concealed from users and set to install alongside automatically, unless users manually deselect them. However, since the offers are mostly hidden, users do not notice and end up surprised when they notice that their browser’s settings have been changed and they are shown loads of ads.
As long as you pay attention to how you install programs, you will be able to avoid these unwanted installations. During freeware setup, opt for Advanced (Custom) settings instead of Default, and when the offers become visible, uncheck all the boxes. That is all you need to do. Only after you have unchecked the offers should you continue installing the program.
It’s also possible that you were tricked into installing ProgressTrend. You may have gotten a pop-up when browsing claiming you need to install some kind of update, such as for Adobe Flash Player. Fake update notifications are constantly pushing questionable programs, and users often fall for it. For future reference, keep in mind that legitimate update notifications will never be pushed via your browser or ads.
What does ProgressTrend do?
As soon as the PUP installs, it will attach itself to popular browsers, such as Safari, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. It will change settings, and set its promoted page as your homepage/new tabs, as well as start redirecting your searches via SafeFinder. If you were to do a search via your browser address bar, you’d be redirected to SafeFinder and then to Yahoo search. The search results may have sponsored content inserted among legitimate ones so be careful with what you click on. The sponsored results will have little to do with what you were searching for, so you have no business clicking on them anyway. Some of the modified results could lead you to questionable sites that promote scams or even malware.
In addition to the changed browser’s settings, you will also start noticing more ads appearing as your browse. This is the most annoying feature of these kinds of infections because the ads will disrupt your regular browsing. Avoid interacting with ads while the infection is still present because you could be exposed to dangerous content.
One more thing about this infection is that it collects information about your browsing activities. It will track what sites you visit, what you search for, what content you engage with, etc. This information is often shared with third-parties as well.
When it comes to PUPs, we always recommend using anti-spyware software to get rid of them. Anti-spyware would detect and delete ProgressTrend, along with all of its component files. You can uninstall ProgressTrend manually by dragging the program and all of its files to the trash. However, locating all related files may take a while.
Download Removal Toolto scan for ProgressTrendTo scan for ProgressTrend, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like ProgressTrend and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove ProgressTrend
- Remove ProgressTrend with anti-spyware software
- Uninstall ProgressTrend from Windows manually
- How to manually uninstall ProgressTrend from Mac OS
- How to delete ProgressTrend from your Internet browser
- Remove ProgressTrend from Internet Explorer
- How to uninstall ProgressTrend from Google Chrome
- ProgressTrend removal from Mozilla Firefox
- ProgressTrend removal from Safari
- ProgressTrend removal from Microsoft Edge
Remove ProgressTrend with anti-spyware software
Using anti-spyware or other security program to remove ProgressTrend is suggested. ProgressTrend should be uninstalled by anti-spyware easily because their purpose is dealing with these kinds of threats. To remove ProgressTrend, all you have to do is download the software and scan your system. However, it is also possible to delete ProgressTrend manually, and you could learn how by reading the below provided instructions.
Uninstall ProgressTrend from Windows manually
- Start – Settings – Control Panel.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Uninstall ProgressTrend.
- We suggest doing the same with all additional unfamiliar applications.
- Open Control Panel by clicking Start and then Control Panel.
- Pick Programs and Features and then Uninstall a program.
- Remove ProgressTrend.
- Remove any other dubious application you do not recognise.
- You will have to open Programs and Features and to do that right-click on Start and press Programs and Features.
- Locate ProgressTrend and remove it.
- You ought to also do the same with all other unfamiliar programs.
How to manually uninstall ProgressTrend from Mac OS
It’s pretty simple to delete ProgressTrend from your Mac computer. However, you’ll also need to remove a few remaining files in addition to removing the program.
- Access Finder – Applications.
- Drag ProgressTrend into the trash.
- Check through the applications you have installed, and uninstall anything else you don’t recognise.
- Press Go from the menu bar and then Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and trash any questionable and recently-added files.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and put in /Library/Application Support. Look for any recently-added or otherwise suspicious files and put them in the trash.
- Access Go to Folder again, and type ~/Library/LaunchAgents. If you see any other dubious files, trash them.
- Access Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/LaunchDaemons. trash any dubious and recently-added files.
- You’ll need to right-click on the trash icon and select Empty Trash.
How to delete ProgressTrend from your Internet browser
Remove ProgressTrend from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Access Manage Add-ons via the menu bar (the gear icon at the top-right).
- Find ProgressTrend and any extensions you do not recognise and delete it/them by pressing on them and clicking Remove.
- Access Internet Options through browser menu (the gear icon).
- You will be able to change your homepage to your preferred page in the General tab.
- Access Manage Add-ons by pressing on the browser menu (the gear icon) and clicking Manage Add-ons.
- Access Search Providers (from the menu on the left), remove the ProgressTrend set one and choose one of your choice.
If ProgressTrend is still causing issues, restoring your browser settings might be necessary.
- If you are using Windows XP, Start – Run, type in inetcpl.cpl, open Advanced and press Reset.
- If you’re using Windows Vista/7, click the windows logo, type in inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Access the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- For Windows 8/10 users, launch Internet Explorer, gear icon – Internet Options – Advanced tab – Reset. Confirm the reset by pressing Reset again.
How to uninstall ProgressTrend from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome.
- Access the menu by clicking the three dots at the top-right corner of the screen, then More tools and Extensions.
- Find ProgressTrend and any other extension you don’t know, and delete them.
- Access the menu again and choose Settings.
- Access On startup, you’ll see that ProgressTrend set an odd site as your homepage, change it to one you prefer.
- Proceed to Search engine from the menu on the left, access Manage search engines, remove the search engine ProgressTrend set for you and set it to one of your choice.
If that didn’t fix your problems, you’ll need to restore your browser’s settings.
- Open Google Chrome, press the three dots on the top-right corner of the screen, open Settings.
- Scroll down, press on Advanced and go down until you see Reset.
- Press on Reset and confirm your choice in the warning window.
ProgressTrend removal from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Access the menu by pressing on the three bars top-right corner, and then click on Add-ons.
- Access Extensions, locate and delete ProgressTrend, and any other unknown extension.
- Menu (the three bars) – Preferences.
- In the Home tab, remove the homepage set by ProgressTrend and set your preferred one.
- Access the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, delete the search engine ProgressTrend set for you and set it to something you prefer.
If ProgressTrend is still causing problems, resetting your browser settings might be necessary.
- Menu (the three bars) – Help – Troubleshoot information.
- In the window that appears, click on Refresh Firefox.
- Click Refresh Firefox again.
ProgressTrend removal from Safari
- Launch Safari.
- Press on Safari from the menu bar, and click on Preferences.
- Open the Extensions tab, locate and remove ProgressTrend, and any other extension you don’t know.
- You may change your homepage in the General tab.
- Open the Search tab, remove the search engine ProgressTrend set for you and choose your preferred one.
If that didn’t solve your issues, you will have to restore your browser’s settings.
- Open Safari, click on Safari on the menu bar, and click on Clear History.
- Click Safari (from the top menu) again – Preferences – Advanced tab.
- Check the box at the bottom that says Show Develop menu in the menu bar box.
- Press Develop (on the menu bar) and select Empty Caches.
ProgressTrend removal from Microsoft Edge
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Click on the three dots at the top-right corner of the screen, and press Extensions.
- Find and delete ProgressTrend, as well as any other unfamiliar extension.
- Open menu (the three dots), click Settings.
- You will have to change your homepage in On Startup.
- Proceed to Privacy and services tab, delete the search engine set by ProgressTrend and change it to one of your choice.
If ProgressTrend is still causing problems, restoring your browser settings will be necessary.
- Open Microsoft Edge menu (the three dots) – Settings – Reset settings.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Reset.