Music Search for Chrome Removal
What is Music Search for Chrome
Music Search for Chrome is a relatively harmless browser hijacker that is advertised as an extension that allows you to access music more easily. The way it works is pretty basic, you type in the name of an artist or a song in your browser address bar, and the extensions shows you results in the suggestion bar that lead directly to the song or artist you were looking for. Not a particularly useful extension since accessing music on sites like YouTube is very easy. Once installed, it also forces you to use the Yahoo search engine, as it changes your browser’s settings. While Yahoo is a perfectly legitimate and safe search engine, you should not be forced to use it. Particularly if you did not install the extension knowingly.
It would not be surprising if you were not able to recall downloading and installing Music Search for Chrome. It’s not uncommon for these kinds of extensions to be installed via freeware bundling. This method is quite sneaky because it allows programs to install without acquiring users’ explicit permission. And programs that use it are generally classified as adware, browser hijackers or potentially unwanted programs (PUPs). If you don’t remember installing it, we strongly recommend you delete Music Search for Chrome.
How to avoid installing unwanted programs via software bundling
Unwanted programs often use the software bundling method in order to install on users’ computers without needing explicit permission. Because it’s quite sneaky, programs that use the method are generally classified as PUPs. The way the method works is additional offers may be attached to programs, and if users fail to deselect the offers when installing the programs, they are permitted to install as well. The offers added to freeware are usually adware, browser hijackers and potentially unwanted programs. They are technically optional but they’re preselected to install alongside the program they’re attached to by default, so users need to deselect them to prevent their installation. But since they’re hidden, most users aren’t even aware of them being attached.
When installing free programs it’s very important to pay attention to the process since the majority of them will come with added offers. When given the option, opt for Advanced (Custom) settings instead of Default. Those settings will make all offers visible, and you will be able to deselect all of them. It’s enough to just uncheck the boxes of those offers. Once you have done that, you can continue installing the program.
Keep in mind that some of the additional offers that come attached to freeware can be difficult to get rid of once they’re installed. So if you want to save yourself time and effort, always uncheck all added offers when installing free programs. Otherwise, your computer will be filled with junk that’s difficult to get rid of.
The extension is also available on the Google Chrome web store, and while it may have 600,000+ users, it only has one review, which is quite strange.
Is Music Search for Chrome dangerous?
We should clarify that Music Search for Chrome is not malicious, nor will it harm your computer. However, it’s not useful either, and it will hinder your browsing because it will force you to use the Yahoo search engine.
As soon as it adds itself to the Google Chrome browser, it will change certain browser’s settings and set Yahoo as your default search engine. That means searches you perform via your browser address bar will go through Yahoo search. It’s a legitimate and safe search engine, but you should not be forced to use it.
The main feature of this extension is that it will find where you can listen to the track or artist that you search for via browser address bar. This isn’t a particularly useful feature since the majority of music is available on streaming sites like YouTube.
The hijacker is also tracking your searches, what sites you visit, your IP address, etc. Granted, most sites do this but it’s not something you should accept when it’s an unfamiliar extension doing the tracking.
Music Search for Chrome removal
Because it’s not a malicious infection, you will be able to remove Music Search for Chrome like any other extension. Press the three dots top-right corner, hover over More tools and press Extensions. Find Music Search for Chrome in your list of extensions and press Remove.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Music Search for ChromeTo scan for Music Search for Chrome, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like Music Search for Chrome and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove Music Search for Chrome
- Delete Music Search for Chrome with spyware removal software
- How to manually delete Music Search for Chrome from Windows
- Manual Music Search for Chrome removal from Mac OS
- Music Search for Chrome removal from your Internet browser
- Uninstall Music Search for Chrome from Internet Explorer
- Uninstall Music Search for Chrome from Google Chrome
- Music Search for Chrome removal from Mozilla Firefox
- Music Search for Chrome removal from Safari
- Music Search for Chrome removal from Microsoft Edge
Delete Music Search for Chrome with spyware removal software
The easiest way to uninstall Music Search for Chrome from both your Mac and Windows devices would be using malware removal software such as anti-spyware. The program will do everything, as that is what it is designed to do. These software are simple enough to operate and ought to easily uninstall Music Search for Chrome. But if you continue reading, you’ll also find instructions that explain manual Music Search for Chrome deletion.
How to manually delete Music Search for Chrome from Windows
- You will need to access Control Panel, and to do that click Start, then Settings and finally Control Panel.
- Click on Add or Remove Programs.
- Delete Music Search for Chrome.
- Look through all installed programs for anything else that seems dubious and remove them.
- Tap the windows key to access start menu and press Control Panel.
- Open Programs and Features – Uninstall a program.
- Delete Music Search for Chrome.
- Look through the programs installed on your computer, and delete anything else cannot identify.
- You’ll need to open Programs and Features by right-clicking on Start and selecting Programs and Features.
- Remove Music Search for Chrome.
- We also suggest checking through all other programs to see if anything else is suspicious.
Manual Music Search for Chrome removal from Mac OS
Deleting Music Search for Chrome from your Mac computer is not hard. But uninstalling the program will not be sufficient, any related files will have to be removed.
- Finder – Applications.
- In Applications, locate Music Search for Chrome and put it into the trash or you can right-click on the application and click Move to Trash.
- It’s also advised to go through all other programs to see if anything else causes suspicion.
- Click Go located on the menu bar and then Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and drag any questionable files to the trash.
- Return to Go to Folder, and put in /Library/Application Support. trash any suspicious and recently-added files.
- Access Go to Folder again, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Drag all questionable files to the trash.
- Return to Go to Folder, and put in /Library/LaunchDaemons. Drag all suspicious files to the trash.
- Do not forget to empty the trash which you may do by right-clicking on the trash icon and clicking Empty Trash.
Music Search for Chrome removal from your Internet browser
Uninstall Music Search for Chrome from Internet Explorer
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Open Manage Add-ons through the menu bar (the gear icon at the top-right).
- Delete Music Search for Chrome and any other extension you aren’t familiar with by pressing on them and pressing Remove.
- Press the gear icon (top-right corner), and pick Internet Options.
- In the General tab, change the homepage to your preferred website.
- Access Manage Add-ons by pressing on the browser menu (the gear icon) and clicking Manage Add-ons.
- Press Search Providers (from the menu on the left), change the search engine to your choice after you delete the one Music Search for Chrome set for your browser.
If Music Search for Chrome is still giving you issues, resetting your browser settings will be necessary.
- For users using devices running Windows XP, click start and click on Run and put in inetcpl.cpl, access the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- For users using devices running Windows Vista/7, press the windows logo, type inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Open the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- If you are using Windows 8/10, open Internet Explorer, click the gear icon, press Internet Options, proceed to the Advanced tab and press Reset. Confirm the reset by pressing Reset again.
Uninstall Music Search for Chrome from Google Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Click the three dots at the top-right corner, then More tools and Extensions.
- Find and remove Music Search for Chrome, as well as any other extension you can’t identify.
- Access Settings through the menu (the three dots top right-corner).
- You will need to modify your homepage in On startup.
- Go to Search engine from the menu on the left, click Manage search engines, modify your search engine from the one Music Search for Chrome set for you to something of your preference.
If Music Search for Chrome is still giving you problems, it might be necessary to restore your browser’s settings to default.
- Launch Google Chrome, menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- Scroll down, click Advanced and scroll down until you see Reset.
- Click on Reset and click Reset again in the new window that pops up.
Music Search for Chrome removal from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Open Add-ons through the menu (the three bars).
- Access Extensions, locate and delete Music Search for Chrome, and any other extension you don’t recognise.
- Open Preferences via the menu (the three dots).
- Access the Home tab, you will see a homepage set by Music Search for Chrome, set it to one of your choice.
- Open the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, change your search engine from the one Music Search for Chrome set for you to something of your choice.
If you are still having trouble, it will be necessary to restore your browser’s settings to default.
- Menu (the three bars) – Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Click Refresh Firefox.
- Press Refresh Firefox again.
Music Search for Chrome removal from Safari
- Launch Safari.
- Safari (from the menu bar at the top) – Preferences.
- Access the Extensions tab, locate and remove Music Search for Chrome, as well as any other extension you can’t identify.
- In the General tab, remove the homepage set by Music Search for Chrome and choose your preferred one.
- Access the Search tab, change your search engine.
Your browser’s settings will need to be restored if you’re still having issues with Music Search for Chrome.
- Open Safari, click on Safari (on the menu bar at the top), and click on Clear History.
- Press on Safari on the menu bar, click on Preferences and navigate to the Advanced tab.
- Tick the box at the bottom that says Show Develop menu in the menu bar box.
- The Develop menu will be visible at the top, press that and click on Empty Caches.
Music Search for Chrome removal from Microsoft Edge
- Launch Microsoft Edge.
- Access Extensions through the menu (the three dots at the top-right corner).
- Find all unfamiliar extensions, as well as Music Search for Chrome, and delete them.
- Menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- You’ll have to change your homepage in On Startup.
- Proceed to Privacy and services tab, change your search engine from the one Music Search for Chrome set for you to something of your preference.
If that didn’t fix your problems, your browser’s settings will need to be restored.
- Open Microsoft Edge, click on the three dots, select Settings, open the Reset settings tab.
- Press on Restore settings to their default values. Reset.