MSN Toolbar Removal
What is MSN Toolbar
MSN Toolbar is a legitimate browser extension by Microsoft that often accompanies Internet Explorer. Because of its persistence, MSN Toolbar is sometimes seen as a potential threat by users, who often wish to get rid of it. MSN Toolbar is a legitimate toolbar but it can be annoying as well, particularly if users install it accidentally, which could happen because of software bundling. Fortunately for those who do not like it, MSN Toolbar is an optional extension, which can be deleted easily.
The reason users may come to think of MSN Toolbar as a virus is because it makes changes to Internet Explorer browser’s settings. It sets Bing as the default search engine and essentially forces users to use it. That’s not to say that Bing is not a legitimate search engine, because it is. It’s more to do with the fact that users should always have a choice when it comes to the search engine they use everyday. So if users are unhappy with the extension, they should delete MSN Toolbar.
Some users may be surprised when they suddenly find MSN Toolbar added to their Internet Explorer browser. This may happen because of how users install free programs, as toolbars like MSN Toolbar often come attached to freeware as extra offers.
How did the extension install?
The MSN Toolbar toolbar may come bundled with other programs, particularly those offered by Microsoft. This is called software bundling. Software bundling involves additional offers being attached to programs. Those programs are usually various extensions, such as toolbars. It’s also not uncommon for minor infections like adware, browser hijackers and potentially unwanted programs (PUP) to be added to free programs. The offers, while optional, are added in a way that allows them to install alongside automatically. Because they’re initially hidden during installation, most users end up accidentally installing them.
If you want to avoid installing these offers in the future, you need to pay close attention to how you install programs. Most importantly, when given the option, choose Advanced (Custom) settings. Those settings will display all offers, and you will have the option to deselect all of them. Software bundling is a rather sneaky installation method, so we suggest against allowing any of the offers to install. If you uncheck them, the offers will be prevented from installing alongside the freeware they’re attached to.
MSN Toolbar is a legitimate Microsoft toolbar
MSN Toolbar is a legitimate Microsoft toolbar that accompanies Internet Explorer. The toolbar would appear near the top of the browser and provide certain shortcuts. Bing would also be set as the default search engine and your homepage would be changed to msn.com. These browser changes may be difficult to reverse while the MSN Toolbar remains installed.
It should be mentioned that the toolbar is safe to use and is legitimate. However, we can also understand that it may become annoying, particularly if you installed it accidentally. If that is the case, there is no need to put up with it, you can just uninstall MSN Toolbar.
MSN Toolbar removal
You can easily remove MSN Toolbar as you would any other program. Uninstall it by accessing your Control Panel, selecting Uninstall a program, right-clicking on MSN Toolbar and pressing Uninstall.
Download Removal Toolto scan for MSN ToolbarTo scan for MSN Toolbar, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like MSN Toolbar and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove MSN Toolbar
- Uninstall MSN Toolbar with spyware removal software
- How to manually delete MSN Toolbar from Windows
- How to manually uninstall MSN Toolbar from Mac OS
- How to delete MSN Toolbar from your Internet browser
- How to uninstall MSN Toolbar from Internet Explorer
- Uninstall MSN Toolbar from Google Chrome
- MSN Toolbar removal from Mozilla Firefox
- Uninstall MSN Toolbar from Safari
- Uninstall MSN Toolbar from Microsoft Edge
Uninstall MSN Toolbar with spyware removal software
We advise using anti-spyware or some other security software to delete MSN Toolbar because that would be easiest. MSN Toolbar should be removed by anti-spyware with no issue because they’re created to deal with such threats. These programs are pretty simple to operate and should easily uninstall MSN Toolbar. However, it is also possible to remove MSN Toolbar manually, and we will explain in the below given instructions.
How to manually delete MSN Toolbar from Windows
- Start – Settings – Control Panel.
- Click on Add or Remove Programs.
- Locate and remove MSN Toolbar.
- It is also suggested to go through all other programs for anything else suspicious, and if there’s anything, remove it/them.
- Press the windows key to access start menu and press Control Panel.
- Choose Programs and Features and then Uninstall a program.
- Locate MSN Toolbar and remove it.
- Look through the applications you have installed, and uninstall anything else that cause suspicion.
- You’ll need to access Programs and Features by right-clicking on Start and pressing Programs and Features.
- Find MSN Toolbar and delete it.
- It is also a good idea to go through all other programs for anything else suspicious, and if there is anything, uninstall it/them.
How to manually uninstall MSN Toolbar from Mac OS
You should not have any issues with uninstalling MSN Toolbar from your Mac computer. However, removing the leftover files will also be necessary in addition to removing the application.
- Click on Finder (the first icon from the left on your dock) and select Applications from the side menu.
- Locate MSN Toolbar and put it to the trash (the trash icon located on the dock).
- We also advise checking through all other installed applications to see if anything else is suspicious.
- If you click Go on the menu bar, you will see Go to Folder, click that.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and drag any questionable files to the trash.
- Open Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/Application Support. If Any recently-added files look suspicious, drag them to the trash.
- Access Go to Folder again, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Drag any questionable files to the trash.
- Return to Go to Folder, and put in /Library/LaunchDaemons. If Any recently-added files seem dubious, put them in the trash.
- You will need to right-click on the trash icon and press Empty Trash.
How to delete MSN Toolbar from your Internet browser
How to uninstall MSN Toolbar from Internet Explorer
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Open Manage Add-ons via the menu bar (the gear icon at the top-right).
- Find MSN Toolbar and any other not familiar extension and delete it/them by selecting them and pressing Remove.
- Access Internet Options by pressing the gear icon and picking Internet Options.
- In the General tab, modify the homepage to your preferred web page.
- Press on the gear icon (top-right corner), and press on Manage Add-ons.
- Press on Search Providers from the side menu, set the search engine after you remove the one set by MSN Toolbar.
Your browser’s settings will need to be reset if you are still having issues with MSN Toolbar.
- If your computer is running Windows XP, Start – Run, type in inetcpl.cpl, proceed to the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- If you’re using Windows Vista/7, click the windows logo, type inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Access the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- For Windows 8/10 users, launch Internet Explorer, press on the gear icon, press on Internet Options, proceed to the Advanced tab and press Reset. Confirm the reset by pressing Reset again.
Uninstall MSN Toolbar from Google Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Menu (the three dots) – More tools – Extensions.
- Identify all unknown extensions, as well as MSN Toolbar, and remove them.
- Open Settings via the menu (the three dots top right-corner).
- If you go to On startup, you will see a homepage set by MSN Toolbar, set it to one of your choice.
- Open the Search engine section from the menu tab on the left, then Manage search engines, modify your search engine from the one set by MSN Toolbar to something else.
Resetting your browser’s settings to default will probably be necessary if MSN Toolbar is still there.
- Launch Google Chrome, press the three dots to open menu, press Settings.
- Go down, press on Advanced and go down until you see Reset.
- Click Reset and then click Reset again.
MSN Toolbar removal from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Menu (the three top right corner bars) – Add-ons.
- Open Extensions, identify all extensions you can’t identify, as well as MSN Toolbar, and remove them.
- Access menu again, and press Preferences.
- In the Home tab, set the homepage of your choice instead of the one set by MSN Toolbar.
- Proceed to the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, change your search engine.
If you are still struggling with MSN Toolbar, your browser’s settings may need to be reset to default.
- When Mozilla Firefox is open, click on the menu (the three bars), Help – Troubleshoot information.
- In the window, press Refresh Firefox.
- Press Refresh Firefox again.
Uninstall MSN Toolbar from Safari
- Launch Safari.
- Safari (from the menu bar at the top) – Preferences.
- Navigate to the Extensions tab, find all unknown extensions, as well as MSN Toolbar, and remove them.
- You’ll have to change your homepage in the General tab.
- Proceed to the Search tab, modify your search engine.
If MSN Toolbar is still present, your browser’s settings may need to be restored to default.
- Launch Safari, click on Safari (on the menu bar at the top), and press Clear History.
- Click Safari (from the menu bar at the top), select Preferences and go to the Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- Empty the Caches by pressing on the Develop menu and then selecting Empty Caches.
Uninstall MSN Toolbar from Microsoft Edge
- Launch Microsoft Edge.
- Access Extensions through the menu (the three dots at the top-right corner).
- Locate all unknown extensions, as well as MSN Toolbar, and remove them.
- Menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- You will need to modify your homepage in On Startup.
- Go to Privacy and services tab, modify your search engine.
In case MSN Toolbar is still there, it’ll be necessary to reset your browser’s settings to default.
- Launch Microsoft Edge, click on the three dots, select Settings, click on the Reset settings tab.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Confirm the reset.