How to remove Smart Search virus
What is Smart Search virus
Smart Search virus refers to a browser hijacker that affects Mac computers. Browser hijackers are minor computer threats that make unwanted browser setting changes and try to redirect users to sponsored websites. They’re not particularly dangerous by themselves but because they can redirect to all kinds of questionable websites, hijackers should be deleted immediately. Fortunately, they are very noticeable infections because they change browser’s settings so that their promoted sites are set as the homepage, new tabs and search engine. If users use the search engine, they are shown altered search results. Those results will include links to sponsored websites, visiting which is not a good idea because you could end up on sites promoting malware and scams.
Browser hijackers are not viruses, though many users refer to them as such because of their behaviour. They cannot install without users’ permission, but most users give it without even realizing. Hijackers use software bundling to install, which means they come attached to free software as extra offers. They are permitted to install alongside the software without informing the user, which is why so many are surprised when they notice a hijacker on their system.
You shouldn’t have issues with Smart Search virus removal, but it would be easiest to use anti-spyware software because the program would take care of everything.
How are hijackers installed
Browser hijackers come attached to free software as extra offers. No one would install them otherwise. They are attached in a way that allows them to install alongside the freeware, unless users manually prevent them from doing so. However, since the offers are hidden from users, most are not aware of them, meaning they are unable to deselect them. Fortunately, making them visible is not difficult. All you need to do is pay enough attention to choose Advanced (Custom) settings when installing freeware. Unlike Default (or Basic) settings, Advanced will show you if anything has been added to the program. If there is anything, you need to uncheck the boxes. After you have unchecked all of them, you can continue installing the program.
It’s also possible to pick up hijackers, adware and potentially unwanted programs via fake updates. If you browse questionable websites, particularly free streaming pages, you may encounter ads that claim you need to install an update urgently. If you download the supposed update, you could end up with one these minor infections. Keep in mind that legitimate updates are never pushed via ads. If you need to update something manually, the program itself will notify you. Everything else is updated automatically.
What does Smart Search virus do?
As soon as the hijacker installs, it will hijack your browser, whether you’re using Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Browser’s settings will be changed, and sites like search-smart.work, smartsearch.pw, thesmartsearch.net will be set as the homepage, new tabs and search engine. You will be prevented from undoing these changes by the hijacker, so do not waste your time. Unless you remove Smart Search virus from your Mac, the changes are irreversible.
The hijacker will encourage you to use its search engine for your searches. However, that is not a good idea. The search engine will alter search results to include sponsored content in order to redirect you. These redirects are the main purpose of hijackers. However, while the hijacker itself isn’t particularly dangerous, the sites you get redirected to won’t necessarily be safe. You could be redirected to sites promoting all kinds of malicious content and scams. Although fortunately, those sponsored results will be pretty obvious so you should be able to avoid them no problem.
Finally, we should mention that hijackers track users and collect information about them. It’s usually non-personal information like visited sites, searches, ads clicked, IP address, etc. The information can be shared with unknown third parties without users consent.
How to uninstall Smart Search virus
If you have anti-virus software or are willing to install one, use it to delete Smart Search virus from your Mac. This is the easiest because if you were to do it manually, you’d need to find all related files and that can take a long time. Once the hijacker is no longer present, you can change your browser’s settings back to normal.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Smart Search virusTo scan for Smart Search virus, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like Smart Search virus and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove Smart Search virus
- Uninstall Smart Search virus with spyware removal software
- How to manually uninstall Smart Search virus from Windows
- Uninstall Smart Search virus from your Mac OS manually
- How to remove Smart Search virus from your Internet browser
- Delete Smart Search virus from Internet Explorer
- Uninstall Smart Search virus from Google Chrome
- Uninstall Smart Search virus from Mozilla Firefox
- Uninstall Smart Search virus from Safari
- Smart Search virus deletion from Microsoft Edge
Uninstall Smart Search virus with spyware removal software
It’s a good idea to use security software such as anti-spyware to delete Smart Search virus because that would be easiest. These kinds of programs are created to remove all kinds of infections so they should not have issues with Smart Search virus. All you have to do is download the software, carry out a scan, and remove Smart Search virus. If you continue reading, we’ll also explain manual Smart Search virus removal.
How to manually uninstall Smart Search virus from Windows
- You will have to access Control Panel, and to do that press Start, then Settings and then Control Panel.
- Press on Add or Remove Programs.
- Delete Smart Search virus.
- If you see any other applications you don’t recognise, remove them as well.
- Click Start (the windows logo) or press the windows key – Control Panel.
- Access Programs and Features – Uninstall a program.
- Find Smart Search virus and uninstall it.
- We also advise checking through all other programs to see if anything else is suspicious.
- You’ll have to access Programs and Features by right-clicking on Start and pressing Programs and Features.
- Remove Smart Search virus.
- It is also a good idea to go through all other applications for any other suspicious programs, and if there’s anything, remove it/them.
Uninstall Smart Search virus from your Mac OS manually
Uninstalling Smart Search virus from your Mac computer is rather simple. But we will also explain to you how to remove some leftover files after Smart Search virus removal.
- Finder – Applications.
- Drag Smart Search virus into the trash.
- Look through all your installed programs, and uninstall anything else suspicious.
- If you press Go on the menu bar, you will see Go to Folder, press that.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and search for any recently-added or otherwise questionable files and put them in the trash.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and type /Library/Application Support. Look for any recently-added or otherwise suspicious files and trash them.
- Open Go to Folder again, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Drag any dubious files to the trash.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and put in /Library/LaunchDaemons. trash any suspicious and recently-added files.
- You’ll need to right-click on the trash icon and select Empty Trash.
How to remove Smart Search virus from your Internet browser
Delete Smart Search virus from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Press on the gear icon (top-right corner), and press Manage Add-ons.
- Click Remove on Smart Search virus and all extensions you aren’t familiar with.
- Access Internet Options through browser menu (the gear icon).
- You will be able to modify your homepage to your preferred website in the General tab.
- Press on the gear icon (top-right corner), and click on Manage Add-ons.
- Go to the Search Providers tab (from the menu on the left), delete the Smart Search virus set one and pick the one you prefer.
If you’re still having trouble, you’ll need to reset your browser’s settings.
- If you’re using Windows XP, Start – Run, type in inetcpl.cpl, open Advanced and click Reset.
- For users using computers running Windows Vista/7, click the windows logo, type in inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Proceed to the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- For users using computers running Windows 8/10, open Internet Explorer, gear icon – Internet Options – Advanced tab – Reset. Click Reset again to confirm.
Uninstall Smart Search virus from Google Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Menu (the three dots) – More tools – Extensions.
- Look for Smart Search virus and any other unfamiliar extension, and remove them.
- Access the menu again and select Settings.
- You’ll need to modify your homepage in On startup.
- Open the Search engine section from the menu on the left, access Manage search engines, modify your search engine.
Your browser’s settings will have to be reset if Smart Search virus is still present.
- Launch Google Chrome, menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- Go down, press on Advanced and go down until you see Reset.
- Click on Reset and press Reset again in the window that appears.
Uninstall Smart Search virus from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Menu (the three top right corner bars) – Add-ons.
- Access Extensions, find Smart Search virus and any other unknown extension, and delete them.
- Click the menu (the three bars top right), and press Preferences.
- You can change your homepage in the Home tab.
- Open the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, delete the search engine Smart Search virus set for you and set it to something you prefer.
Restoring your browser’s settings will likely be necessary if Smart Search virus is still causing trouble.
- Menu (the three bars) – Help – Troubleshoot information.
- In the new window that pops up, click on Refresh Firefox.
- Affirm your choice by pressing Refresh Firefox again.
Uninstall Smart Search virus from Safari
- Open Safari.
- Press on Safari from the menu bar, and click on Preferences.
- Access the Extensions tab, look for Smart Search virus and any other unknown extension, and delete them.
- Access the General tab, you will see a homepage set by Smart Search virus, set it to one you prefer.
- Proceed to the Search tab, change your search engine.
Your browser’s settings will need to be reset if Smart Search virus is still present.
- Launch Safari, click on Safari (on the menu bar at the top), and press Clear History.
- Press on Safari (from the menu bar at the top), select Preferences and go to the Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- Empty the Caches by pressing on the Develop menu and then selecting Empty Caches.
Smart Search virus deletion from Microsoft Edge
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Press the three dots at the top-right corner of the screen, and press Extensions.
- Locate and delete Smart Search virus, and any other unfamiliar extension.
- Menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- You will have to modify your homepage in On Startup.
- Access the Privacy and services tab, change your search engine.
If that did not fix your trouble, your browser’s settings will need to be restored.
- Open Microsoft Edge, access menu (the three dots), select Settings, open the Reset settings tab.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Confirm the reset.