How to remove Linkey Virus
What is Linkey Virus
Linkey Virus refers to a browser hijacker that can affect both Windows and Mac computers. While many users call it a virus, it’s not actually a harmful program that will cause damage. However, a browser hijacker is still an infection, albeit a minor one. It will change your browser’s settings, set its promoted site as your homepage and new tab, and force you to use a questionable search engine. Browser hijackers focus on redirecting to sponsored websites, and they do that by inserting sponsored content into search results. Because of these redirects, it’s not good idea to use search engines that are pushed to you by browser hijackers.
Browser hijackers are pretty harmless but they are annoying to deal with. Once they make changes to the browser, it’s difficult to undo those changes while the hijacker remains present. And while it’s installed, it will constantly try to redirect you to sponsored websites. The thing about these redirects is that they can lead to potentially dangerous websites, some of which could contain malware or promote scams. So even if the hijacker itself isn’t particularly harmful, the same cannot be said about the sites you get redirected to. Thus, we strongly recommend you remove Linkey Virus from the computer, the sooner the better.
It’s possible that the hijacker installed without your permission, via software bundling. It’s a method that is often used by infections like adware, hijackers and potentially unwanted programs. The method will be explained in more detail in the following section of the report.
Browser hijackers often install via software bundling
Minor infections like browser hijackers, adware, and potentially unwanted programs (PUP) are usually distributed via free software bundling. That means that they come attached to free software as extra offers, which allows them to install alongside without requiring additional permission. Programs that use software bundling will usually be classified as potentially unwanted programs because of how sneaky the installation method is. And most programs you download from those free program websites will have stuff attached to them. To avoid that, it’s better to download programs from their official websites instead.
It’s possible to prevent the offers from installing alongside the freeware, as long as you pay attention to the process. When given the option during installation, always opt for Advanced (Custom) settings instead of Default. The extra offers will be hidden in Default but if you opt for Advanced, you will both be able to view what has been added as well as deselect everything. Once you have deselected the offers, you can continue installing the program.
Is Linkey Virus harmful?
Before anything else, it should be mentioned that Linkey Virus is not a harmful infection. Users do call it a virus but the classification is not technically correct, as it’s not a virus, rather a browser hijacker. Browser hijackers are not serious infections, more annoying than actually harmful.
When the hijacker installs, you will know immediately because your browser’s settings will be changed. It will attach itself to popular browsers like Safari, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. It will set a questionable website like linkeyproject.com, search.linkeymac.com or default-search.net as the homepage and new tabs. Your search engine will also be changed, so if you perform a search via browser address bar, your results will come from that search engine. They will likely be altered to include sponsored content in order to redirect you. These redirects are the main purpose of browser hijackers. The redirects are very annoying because they interrupt your browsing. Furthermore, you could be redirected to potentially dangerous websites that hide malware or promote scams.
It should also be mentioned that browser hijackers will track your browsing and collect certain information. It will track what sites you visit, what you search for, what content you click on, your IP address, etc. This isn’t personal information but still quite intrusive. There is no reason why you should permit this kind of behaviour.
Linkey Virus removal
Using anti-virus software to delete Linkey Virus would be easiest because the program would take care of everything. Once the hijacker is gone, you should be able to change your browser’s settings as normal. You can also uninstall Linkey Virus manually, though that may be more difficult as you’d have to do everything yourself.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Linkey VirusTo scan for Linkey Virus, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like Linkey Virus and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove Linkey Virus
- Automatic Linkey Virus removal
- Remove Linkey Virus from Windows manually
- How to manually remove Linkey Virus from Mac OS
- How to delete Linkey Virus from your Internet browser
- Delete Linkey Virus from Internet Explorer
- Uninstall Linkey Virus from Google Chrome
- Linkey Virus removal from Mozilla Firefox
- Uninstall Linkey Virus from Safari
- Linkey Virus deletion from Microsoft Edge
Automatic Linkey Virus removal
The simplest way to remove Linkey Virus from both your Mac and Windows devices would be using anti-spyware or some other security programs. Anti-spyware will quickly remove Linkey Virus since its main purpose is to deal with such threats. These programs are easy enough to operate and ought to easily delete Linkey Virus. But if you continue reading, we’ll also explain manual Linkey Virus deletion.
Remove Linkey Virus from Windows manually
- Press Start (the windows logo located bottom-left corner of the screen) or tap the window key on your keyboard, pick Settings and then Control Panel.
- Click on Add or Remove Programs.
- Remove Linkey Virus.
- Look through the programs you’ve installed, and delete anything else questionable.
- Press Start (the windows logo) or press the windows key – Control Panel.
- Access Programs and Features – Uninstall a program.
- Locate Linkey Virus and delete it.
- Check all your installed applications, and uninstall anything else cannot identify.
- Right-click on Start and select Programs and Features.
- Uninstall Linkey Virus.
- Do the same with any additional application that causes suspicion.
How to manually remove Linkey Virus from Mac OS
Uninstalling Linkey Virus from a Mac computer is pretty easy. But we’ll also guide you through deleting any related files after you remove Linkey Virus.
- Finder – Applications.
- Put Linkey Virus into the trash.
- It’s also recommended to go through all other installed applications to see if anything else is suspicious.
- If you click Go on the menu bar, you’ll see Go to Folder, press that.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and trash any questionable and recently-added files.
- Open Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/Application Support. trash any dubious and recently-added files.
- Return to Go to Folder, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Look for any recently-added or otherwise questionable files and trash them.
- Return to Go to Folder, and type /Library/LaunchDaemons. If Any recently-added files look suspicious, put them in the trash.
- Finally, empty the trash by right-clicking on the trash icon and clicking Empty Trash.
How to delete Linkey Virus from your Internet browser
Delete Linkey Virus from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Access Manage Add-ons through the menu bar (the gear icon at the top-right).
- Click Remove on Linkey Virus and all extensions you don’t recognise.
- Gear icon to open menu – Internet Options.
- If you open the General tab, you’ll be able to change your homepage website.
- Access Manage Add-ons by clicking on the browser menu (the gear icon) and pressing Manage Add-ons.
- Go to the Search Providers tab (from the left side menu), remove the Linkey Virus set one and set the one you prefer.
If that didn’t solve your trouble, it will be necessary to restore your browser’s settings to default.
- If you’re using Windows XP, Start – Run, type inetcpl.cpl, access the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- If your device is running Windows Vista/7, click the windows logo, type inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- For Windows 8/10 users, launch Internet Explorer, gear icon – Internet Options – Advanced tab – Reset. Confirm the reset by clicking Reset again.
Uninstall Linkey Virus from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome.
- Menu (the three dots right-corner of the screen) – More tools – Extensions.
- Identify all unfamiliar extensions, as well as Linkey Virus, and remove them.
- Access Settings through the menu (the three dots top right-corner).
- If you go to On startup, you’ll see a homepage set by Linkey Virus, set it to one you prefer.
- Go to Search engine from the menu tab on the left, then Manage search engines, change your search engine.
If that did not fix your problems, you will have to reset your browser’s settings.
- Open Google Chrome, click on the three dots to access menu, press Settings.
- Go down, click Advanced and go down to the Reset section.
- Press on Reset and affirm your choice in the new window.
Linkey Virus removal from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Open Add-ons via the menu (the three bars).
- Access Extensions, find and delete Linkey Virus, and any other unknown extension.
- Open Preferences through the menu (the three dots).
- You will have to change your homepage in the Home tab.
- Open the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, modify your search engine.
If Linkey Virus is still giving you issues, it may be necessary to reset your browser settings.
- Menu (the three bars) – Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Click Refresh Firefox.
- Press Refresh Firefox again.
Uninstall Linkey Virus from Safari
- Open Safari.
- Safari (from the menu bar at the top) – Preferences.
- Access the Extensions tab, find and delete Linkey Virus, and any other unknown extension.
- Access the General tab, you’ll see a homepage set by Linkey Virus, change it to one you prefer.
- Access the Search tab, remove the search engine set by Linkey Virus and choose your preferred one.
Your browser’s settings will have to be restored if you’re still having issues with Linkey Virus.
- Launch Safari, click on Safari (on the menu bar at the top), and click on Clear History.
- Safari – Preferences – Advanced tab.
- Check the box at the bottom that says Show Develop menu in the menu bar box.
- Press Develop (on the menu bar) and select Empty Caches.
Linkey Virus deletion from Microsoft Edge
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Click on the three dots at the top-right corner of the screen, and press Extensions.
- Find and remove Linkey Virus, and any other extension you don’t recognise.
- Access Settings via the menu (the three dots).
- Access the On startup tab, you will see that Linkey Virus set an odd site as your homepage, change it to one you prefer.
- Access the Privacy and services tab, change your search engine.
If you are still having issues with Linkey Virus, it may be necessary to reset your browser’s settings to default.
- Open Microsoft Edge menu (the three dots) – Settings – Reset settings.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Reset.