How to remove DriverMax
What is DriverMax
DriverMax is a potentially unwanted program (PUP), advertised as a driver updater. While it’s not a malicious program that will harm your computer, its questionable behaviour and installation methods are more than enough to classify it as a PUP.
Users have reported that they have no recollection of installing it and that it suddenly appeared out of the blue. PUPs often use software bundling to install because it allows programs to sneak past users and install without needing explicit permission. We will explain this in more detail, but in simple terms freeware bundling is adding additional offers to freeware. Those offers can install alongside automatically, unless users notice and are able to deselect them.
DriverMax is not a malicious program. It looks like any other system optimizer and might even work as it should. However, it also encourages users to purchase the full version of the program in order to fully use it. That itself is not unusual and plenty of legitimate programs do that. However, it may show fake scan results that display a lot of issues to influence users’ decisions. A lot of PUPs use scare tactics, including fake or exaggerated scan results, to intimidate users into buying the full versions.
It’s not the most trustworthy program out there and may not even work properly. We would suggest you delete DriverMax to be safe. It’s also detected as a potential threat by a couple of anti-virus programs so you can use them.
How did DriverMax install
The program does have an official websites where you can get it from. It’s also advertised on many free program websites.
However, it seems to also use software bundling to spread. Like we said above, software bundling is adding additional offers (usually browser hijackers, adware and potentially unwanted programs) to free software in a way that allows them to install alongside. The added offers are set to install alongside automatically but they are optional. If you pay attention when installing programs, you will be able to prevent these unwanted installations.
When installing programs, choose Advanced (Custom) settings when given the option. Those settings, unlike Default, will make all extra offer visible, and you will be able to deselect all of them. Some of the offers may seem useful but allowing them to install is not recommended. Software bundling allows programs to install without your explicit permissions, and programs that use it should not be allowed onto your computer.
Should you remove DriverMax?
When the program installs, you will immediately start getting notifications about driver updates you need to install and other issues detected on your computers. These notifications can become insufferable after a while because they will constantly appear.
The program will perform a scan of your computer and show you scan results with all potential issues it has identified. The number of detected issues may shock you, as there could be ten, possibly even hundreds of issues. You should be skeptical of what has been detected because programs like DriverMax tend to exaggerate results or make them up all together in order to encourage users to purchase the full program, which is needed to fix the detected issues. Always review what issues programs like DriverMax detect to make sure they even exist.
A lot of users question the necessity of programs like DriverMax or other system optimizers because everything they do users can do manually without much trouble. This includes updating drivers. Most people will recommend just updating drivers manually by getting the updates from the manufacturers. It’s not difficult to do and does not require a lot of time.
Some system optimizers can even be harmful to computer. For example, Microsoft has warned against programs that mess with the registry because they could delete essential registry entries, which could break the system.
If you have decided to uninstall DriverMax, you can use anti-virus programs. They should detect DriverMax as a potential threat and remove it without you having to do anything. However, you can also delete DriverMax manually if you want, just make sure you get rid of all of its files so that the program cannot recover itself.
Download Removal Toolto scan for DriverMaxTo scan for DriverMax, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like DriverMax and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove DriverMax
Delete DriverMax with anti-spyware software
It is easiest to uninstall DriverMax from both Macs and Windows computers using malware removal software like anti-spyware. The program will do everything, as that is what it is developed to do. These applications are very simple to operate and should have no trouble deleting DriverMax. If you continue reading, we will also explain manual DriverMax removal.
How to manually remove DriverMax from Windows
- Press the windows key on the keyboard to open Start menu (or just click Start), then press Settings and then Control Panel.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Find and uninstall DriverMax.
- Check through the programs you have installed, and delete anything else cannot identify.
- Press Start (the windows logo) or press the windows key – Control Panel.
- Select Programs and Features and then Uninstall a program.
- Find DriverMax and delete it.
- It’s also suggested to go through all other programs to see if anything else causes suspicion.
- You will need to open Programs and Features by right-clicking on Start and pressing Programs and Features.
- Find DriverMax and remove it.
- It is also a good idea to go through all other programs for anything else suspicious, and if there’s anything, delete it/them.
Manual DriverMax removal from Mac OS
You shouldn’t have any problems with uninstalling DriverMax from your Mac computer. But in addition to removing the application, you will also have to delete any related files.
- Access Finder – Applications.
- Drag DriverMax into the trash.
- Check the applications installed on your computer, and remove anything else that cause suspicion.
- In the menu bar, click Go – Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and search for any recently-added or otherwise questionable files and trash them.
- Open Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/Application Support. If you see any other questionable files, trash them.
- Open Go to Folder again, and type ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Look for any recently-added or otherwise questionable files and trash them.
- Return to Go to Folder, and put in /Library/LaunchDaemons. Look for any recently-added or otherwise dubious files and put them in the trash.
- Do not forget to empty the trash which you may do by right-clicking on the trash icon and pressing Empty Trash.