How to remove 1337x.to [Explained]
What is 1337x.to
1337x.to is a torrent website that users mostly use to download pirated content. It’s one of thousands of torrent websites from which users can download movies, TV series, games, software, etc., for free. Using torrents to download pirated content is essentially stealing which is why authorities often try to take down these sites. But even if they are successful, a new one with a different domain appears. For example, 1337x.to is the current version, previously it was 1337x.pl. The domain was changed to bypass Google’s ban which prevented 1337x.pl from being displayed on Google search results.
The site itself is not dangerous. It has no visible ads, but pop-ups may be triggered if you click on something. Keep in mind that those ads will not necessarily be safe so we do not recommend you interact with them. If you browse the site and a pop-up suddenly appears, close the window. You should also know that torrent sites where anyone can upload anything are very susceptible to malware. Cyber criminals are fully aware that many users download content via torrents, and they have no issue with disguising their malware as a torrent for an movie or episode of a TV show. We highly recommend not downloading pirated content via torrents but if you insist on doing it, at least make sure you aren’t downloading malware.
There have been some user reports about random redirects to the website. If you notice it happening, your computer may be infected with adware. Adware is a minor infection that mainly wants to expose users to advertisement content. It also sometimes redirects users to certain websites. If your computer is indeed infected with adware, you will need to get rid of it to remove 1337x.to redirects.
Adware could be redirecting you to 1337x.to
If you find yourself being randomly redirected to 1337x.to and other websites, it’s highly likely that adware is installed. Browsers don’t normally redirect users, an infection is usually behind it. Before we go further, we should mention that adware isn’t particularly dangerous, it’s more of a pest than anything. Users usually install adware accidentally when it comes attached to freeware as an extra offer. This is called software bundling. The offers are attached in a way that allows them to install alongside the freeware without requiring explicit permission. They are optional but purposely hidden from users.
In the future, if you want to avoid these unwanted installations, you need to pay attention to how you install programs. Most importantly, when given the option, choose Advanced (Custom) settings instead of Default. Those settings will make all offers visible, and you will be able to deselect all of them. Simply uncheck the boxes of all offers and you can continue installing the program. If you allow these useless programs to install, your computer will quickly fill up with junk programs.
Is 1337x.to a dangerous site
The site looks like a regular torrent page. It has a search box and different categories for movies, TV shows, games, software, etc. It seems to be a rather popular site that became widely used after other torrent sites started being taken down. The site itself does not appear to be dangerous. It has no visible ads, though they do get triggered once in a while if you browse the site. If a pop-up appears, you should close the window and not interact with it at all, as you cannot know whether it’s a safe ad.
One of your biggest worries when using sites like 1337x.to should be malware. Torrent sites are full of them because anyone can upload anything on them, and there is nothing stopping malware operators from taking advantage of this. If you insist on using torrents, at least make sure they’re safe before downloading. Read reviews, check the score, see what files you would download, etc. Do not blindly download because you could easily end up with something malicious.
If you are constantly redirected to the site, you will likely need to remove 1337x.to adware. The easiest way to do that would be to use anti-spyware software. The program would find all related files and remove them. You can also try to uninstall 1337x.to adware manually but that could be tricky as you need to get rid of all of its related files.
Download Removal Toolto scan for 1337x.toTo scan for 1337x.to, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like 1337x.to and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove 1337x.to
- Automatic 1337x.to removal
- Manual 1337x.to removal from Windows
- Remove 1337x.to from your Mac OS manually
- How to uninstall 1337x.to from your Internet browser
- Remove 1337x.to from Internet Explorer
- Uninstall 1337x.to from Google Chrome
- How to remove 1337x.to from Mozilla Firefox
- Uninstall 1337x.to from Safari
- 1337x.to deletion from Microsoft Edge
Automatic 1337x.to removal
The simplest way to uninstall 1337x.to from both your Mac and Windows devices would be to use security program like anti-spyware. Anti-spyware programs are developed to deal with these infections and 1337x.to will not be a problem. These programs are pretty simple to use and ought to easily remove 1337x.to. However, it is also possible to uninstall 1337x.to manually, and we will explain below.
Manual 1337x.to removal from Windows
- Start – Settings – Control Panel.
- Press on Add or Remove Programs.
- Find and remove 1337x.to.
- It’s also recommended to go through all other programs for anything else suspicious, and if there is anything, uninstall it/them.
- Access Control Panel by pressing Start and then Control Panel.
- Pick Programs and Features and then Uninstall a program.
- Locate 1337x.to and delete it.
- We also suggest checking through all other programs for anything else suspicious, and if there is anything, remove it/them.
- You’ll need to access Programs and Features and to do that right-click on Start and select Programs and Features.
- Delete 1337x.to.
- We also recommend checking through all other programs for any other dubious applications, and if there’s anything, uninstall it/them.
Remove 1337x.to from your Mac OS manually
You should not have any issues with removing 1337x.to from your Mac device. But in addition to deleting the software, you will also need to remove any leftover files.
- Click on Finder (the first icon from the left on your dock) and select Applications from the side menu.
- Put 1337x.to into the trash.
- Look through all installed programs for anything else that’s dubious and remove them.
- Open Go to Folder by clicking Go on the menu bar and then pressing on Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and search for any recently-added or otherwise suspicious files and drag them to the trash.
- Open Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/Application Support. Drag to the trash any suspicious and recently-added files.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Put to the trash any suspicious and recently-added files.
- Return to Go to Folder, and put in /Library/LaunchDaemons. Drag any suspicious and recently-added files to the trash.
- You will need to right-click on the trash icon and press Empty Trash.
How to uninstall 1337x.to from your Internet browser
Remove 1337x.to from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Access Manage Add-ons through the menu bar (the gear icon at the top-right).
- Click Remove on 1337x.to and all unfamiliar extensions.
- Click on the gear icon (top-right corner), and then Internet Options.
- You will be able to alter your homepage to your preferred page in the General tab.
- Open Manage Add-ons by opening the browser menu (the gear icon) and clicking Manage Add-ons.
- Press Search Providers (from the menu on the left), set the search engine after you remove the one 1337x.to set as the default.
You’ll need to restore your browser’s settings if 1337x.to is still giving you problems.
- If you’re using Windows XP, Start – Run, type inetcpl.cpl, access the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- If you are using Windows Vista/7, press the windows logo, type inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Access the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- If your computer is running Windows 8/10, open Internet Explorer, click the gear icon, press on Internet Options, access the Advanced tab and press Reset. Confirm the reset by clicking Reset again.
Uninstall 1337x.to from Google Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Click the three dots at the top-right corner of the screen, then More tools and Extensions.
- Find 1337x.to and any other extension you do not know, and remove them.
- Open Settings through the menu (the three dots top right-corner).
- Access On startup, you’ll see a homepage set by 1337x.to, set it to one of your choice.
- Access the Search engine section from the menu on the left, access Manage search engines, change your search engine from the one set by 1337x.to to something of your preference.
Resetting your browser’s settings to default will probably be necessary if 1337x.to is still causing issues.
- Open Google Chrome, access menu (the three dots), press Settings.
- Scroll down, click Advanced and go down until you see Reset.
- Press Reset and affirm your choice.
How to remove 1337x.to from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Menu (the three top right corner bars) – Add-ons.
- Open Extensions, look for 1337x.to and any other extension you don’t know, and delete them.
- Access Preferences via the menu (the three dots).
- In the Home tab, remove the homepage set by 1337x.to and choose your preferred one.
- Access the Search tab from the menu on the left, modify your search engine from the one 1337x.to set for you to something else.
If you’re still having issues with 1337x.to, it might be necessary to reset your browser’s settings to default.
- Menu (the three bars) – Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Click on Refresh Firefox in the new window.
- Click Refresh Firefox again.
Uninstall 1337x.to from Safari
- Launch Safari.
- Press on Safari from the menu bar, and select Preferences.
- Access the Extensions tab, locate and delete 1337x.to, and any other unfamiliar extension.
- If you go to the General tab, you will see a homepage set by 1337x.to, set it to one of your preference.
- Proceed to the Search tab, modify your search engine from the one 1337x.to set for you to something else.
If that did not fix your problems, your browser’s settings will have to be restored.
- Launch Safari, click on Safari (on the menu bar at the top), and press Clear History.
- Press Safari (from the top menu) again – Preferences – Advanced tab.
- Check the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- Press Develop (on the menu bar) and then on Empty Caches.
1337x.to deletion from Microsoft Edge
- Launch Microsoft Edge.
- Access Extensions through the menu (the three dots at the top-right corner).
- Find and delete 1337x.to, and any other extension you can’t identify.
- Open Settings via the menu (the three dots).
- Navigate to the On startup tab, remove the homepage set by 1337x.to and set one of your choice.
- Proceed to Privacy and services tab, modify your search engine.
Your browser’s settings will have to be restored if 1337x.to is still there.
- Launch Microsoft Edge, press on the three dots, select Settings, press on the Reset settings tab.
- Press on Restore settings to their default values. Reset.