How to get rid of Plymously.info
What is Plymously.info
Plymously.info is a site promoting a social engineering scam that tries to trick you into agreeing to see ads on your desktop. Questionable websites misuse a legitimate browser feature that was created to make it easier for users to keep track of news, updates, etc. However, now this feature is more often than not used to trick users into agreeing to ads. The way the scam works is pretty simple, you get redirected to a questionable website, a notification pops up asking you to allow the site to show you notifications, you click “Allow”, and suddenly ads will start appearing on the desktop. The ads will appear at the same place as legitimate notifications, so it is possible to confuse them and accidentally engage with an ad. Allowing a questionable site to show notifications is a bad idea but fortunately, you can easily revoke that permission, and the last section of the report will explain that.
There are two reasons why you may have been redirected to Plymously.info, either you were visiting a questionable website that triggered a redirect, or your computer is infected with adware. If it’s the latter, you will need to get rid of the adware to remove Plymously.info redirects.
Adware could be redirecting you to Plymously.info
If you get redirected to Plymously.info when visiting high-risk websites, it’s possible that the site is the cause of the redirect. Many questionable sites rely on low-quality ads to keep afloat, and those ads can often lead users to scams and potentially dangerous sites. When you visit sites you know may have less then reliable ads, make sure adblocker is enabled. It should block the majority of pop-ups and close redirect windows.
However, if you are constantly redirected to the site without any obvious triggers, you’re likely dealing with an adware infection. Infecting a computer is very easy, and most users don’t even realize when they do it. Smaller infections like adware, browser hijackers and potentially unwanted programs are often attached to free software as extra offers. Those offers are hidden and set to install alongside the freeware, unless users manually stop them from doing so. But since most users don’t pay enough attention to how they install programs, the offers are usually permitted to install.
If you want to prevent additional installations when installing free programs, make sure you pay attention to the process. When given the option, opt for Advanced (Custom) settings. Those settings will show all added offers, and you will be able to deselect all of them. Simply uncheck all boxes and continue the installation.
Allowing notifications is like agreeing to seeing more ads
When you get redirected to Plymously.info, a message “Click ALLOW to confirm that you are not a robot!” will appear in the background. A browser alert will pop up informing you that Plymously.info wants to show notifications. If you clicked on something and got redirected, it may not seem that strange that to access the content you wanted you’d need to confirm you’re not a robot. However, legitimate “are you human” checks do not involve you allowing a site to show you ads. If you press “Allow” more ads is precisely what will happen. And they will appear on your desktop as well. That is the most worrisome part because the ads will appear where legitimate system notifications pop-up.
You may see ads warning about supposed virus infections or other issues on your computer appear in the same place as legitimate notifications. Less attentive users may be deceived by this trick and engage with the alert, which could lead to them downloading malware or engaging in tech-support scams. Tech-support scams claim that an infection is present and to remove it, users are asked to dial the shown number. The reason these scams are known as “tech-support scams” is because if you were to call one of those numbers, you’d be connected to professional scammers pretending to be legitimate technicians. They would pretend to fix your computer and then demand hundreds of dollars for services you didn’t actually receive. YouTube is full of videos demonstrating how these scams work if you are interested.
If you agreed to see the notifications, you should avoid interacting with all ads until you revoke the permission. Fortunately, it takes seconds to do that, and we will show you how below.
When it comes to infections like adware and browsers hijackers, we usually recommend using anti-spyware software. These infections can be quite tricky to get rid of manually so using a program that’s been created to deal with them would be easiest. However, it is possible to delete Plymously.info manually as well. If you have permitted the site to show you notifications, you need to revoke that permission immediately. Here’s how you can do that:
- Mozilla Firefox: Menu (three bars top-right corner) -> Options -> Privacy & Security. Scroll down to Permissions, press on Settings next to Notifications, and remove Plymously.info. You can actually permanently turn off these notification requests by checking the “Block new requests asking to allow notifications” box in the same Notifications settings.
- Google Chrome: Menu (three dots top-right corner) -> Settings -> Privacy and security -> Site Settings. Click on Notifications under Permissions, and delete Plymously.info. You can stop these notification requests permanently by toggling off “Sites can ask to send notifications”.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Plymously.infoTo scan for Plymously.info, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like Plymously.info and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove Plymously.info
- Uninstall Plymously.info with malware removal software
- Manual Plymously.info removal from Windows
- Manual Plymously.info removal from Mac OS
- Plymously.info deletion from your Internet browser
- Delete Plymously.info from Internet Explorer
- Plymously.info deletion from Google Chrome
- Remove Plymously.info from Mozilla Firefox
- Plymously.info removal from Safari
- Delete Plymously.info from Microsoft Edge
Uninstall Plymously.info with malware removal software
It’s easiest to remove Plymously.info from both Macs and Windows systems using anti-spyware or some other security software. The program will do everything, as that’s what it’s designed to do. To remove Plymously.info, all you have to do is download the program and initiate a scan. If you scroll down, you will also find instructions explaining manual Plymously.info removal.
Manual Plymously.info removal from Windows
- Start – Settings – Control Panel.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Remove Plymously.info.
- Do the same to all additional not familiar programs.
- Access Control Panel by clicking Start and then Control Panel.
- Access Programs and Features – Uninstall a program.
- Find Plymously.info and uninstall it.
- If there are any other applications you don’t recognise, remove them as well.
- You will need to access Programs and Features by right-clicking on Start and pressing Programs and Features.
- Uninstall Plymously.info.
- We also advise going through all other programs to see if anything else causes suspicion.
Manual Plymously.info removal from Mac OS
You should not have any issues with deleting Plymously.info from your Mac computer. However, deleting the remaining files will also be necessary as well as deleting the program.
- Finder – Applications.
- Put Plymously.info into the trash.
- It’s also a great idea to go through all other applications to see if anything else causes suspicion.
- In the menu bar, press Go – Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and put to the trash any dubious and recently-added files.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and type /Library/Application Support. Drag all dubious files to the trash.
- Return to Go to Folder, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. If you see any other suspicious files, put them in the trash.
- Access Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/LaunchDaemons. Drag to the trash any suspicious and recently-added files.
- Finally, empty the trash which you can do by right-clicking on the trash icon and clicking Empty Trash.
Plymously.info deletion from your Internet browser
Delete Plymously.info from Internet Explorer
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Click the gear icon (top-right corner), and select Manage Add-ons.
- Find any extension you aren’t familiar with as well as Plymously.info and uninstall it/them by pressing on them and clicking Remove.
- Press the gear icon (top-right corner), and then Internet Options.
- If you access the General tab, you will be able to alter your homepage page.
- Press on the gear icon (top-right corner), and click on Manage Add-ons.
- Press Search Providers (from the menu on the left), change the search engine to your preference after you remove the one Plymously.info set as the default.
If Plymously.info is still giving you problems, it may be necessary to reset your browser settings.
- For users using computers operating Windows XP, press start and click on Run and type inetcpl.cpl, proceed to the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- If you’re using Windows Vista/7, click the windows logo, type in inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Open the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- For Windows 8/10 users, launch Internet Explorer, click the gear icon, press Internet Options, proceed to the Advanced tab and click on Reset. Confirm the reset by clicking Reset again.
Plymously.info deletion from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome.
- Menu (the three dots) – More tools – Extensions.
- Look for Plymously.info and any other extension you cannot identify, and remove them.
- Open Settings through the menu (the three dots top right-corner).
- You will need to modify your homepage in On startup.
- Access the Search engine section from the menu on the left, access Manage search engines, delete the search engine set by Plymously.info and change it to one of your preference.
Your browser’s settings will need to be reset if you’re still having issues with Plymously.info.
- Launch Google Chrome, open menu (the three dots), press Settings.
- Scroll down, click Advanced and go down until you see Reset.
- Press on Reset and affirm your choice in the new window.
Remove Plymously.info from Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Menu (the three top right corner bars) – Add-ons.
- Open Extensions, identify all extensions you can’t identify, as well as Plymously.info, and remove them.
- Menu (the three bars) – Preferences.
- You may modify your homepage in the Home tab.
- Proceed to the Search tab from the menu on the left, modify your search engine.
In case you’re still struggling with Plymously.info, your browser’s settings might have to be restored to default.
- When Mozilla Firefox is open, open the menu (the three bars), Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Press Refresh Firefox in the new window.
- Click Refresh Firefox again.
Plymously.info removal from Safari
- Open Safari.
- Safari (from the menu bar at the top) – Preferences.
- Open the Extensions tab, look for Plymously.info and any other extension you can’t identify, and delete them.
- You will have to change your homepage in the General tab.
- Proceed to the Search tab, change your search engine from the one Plymously.info set for you to something of your choice.
Resetting your browser’s settings to default will likely be necessary if you’re still having problems with Plymously.info.
- Clear History by pressing on Safari (the menu bar) when the browser is open, and click on Clear History.
- Click Safari (from the top menu) again – Preferences – Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- Click on Develop on the menu bar and select Empty Caches.
Delete Plymously.info from Microsoft Edge
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Access Extensions through the menu (the three dots at the top-right corner).
- Locate and delete Plymously.info, as well as any other extension you do not recognise.
- Press on the menu icon (the three dots), press Settings.
- In the On startup tab, set the homepage of your preference instead of the one set by Plymously.info.
- Open the Privacy and services tab, modify your search engine.
In case you are still struggling with Plymously.info, you might have to reset your browser’s settings to default.
- Open Microsoft Edge menu (the three dots) – Settings – Reset settings.
- Press on Restore settings to their default values. Confirm the reset.