Comet Search Removal
Comet Search is a browser hijacker targeting Mac computers
Comet Search is a browser hijacker, usually referred to as a redirect virus, that’s targeting Mac devices. Hijackers are generally not dangerous infections as their primary goal isn’t to cause damage. It’s not completely harmless, however, because its primary objecting is to generate traffic and revenue for certain websites. Hijackers use pretty sneaky techniques to install but once they’re in, their presence become highly obvious. Your browser will suddenly begin redirecting you to random websites, sponsored content will be displayed among legitimate search results, and your browser will display other weird behaviour. However, because not everyone knows what specifically is a browser hijacker, they may not connect the bizarre behaviour with an infection. But if they were to google the website they’re redirected to, it wouldn’t be hard to tell that it’s a hijacker.
Your browser’s settings will also be altered, in addition to redirecting. You’ll be redirected to a new homepage/new tabs when you launch your browser, and canceling these changes might be difficult. Hijackers are able to redirect you exactly because they make those modifications to your browser’s settings.
Browser hijacker aren’t malware and they cannot install without you allowing it, whether you do it intentionally or not. Users install them unknowingly, but they do it themselves. The hijackers, adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), employ the bundling method to install, which is essentially adding them to free software as extra offers which can install alongside. We’ll clarify how you can avoid installing the undesirable programs in the following section of the article, so do carry on reading.
It’s one of the less harmful things your device may get infected with, but the quicker you perform Comet Search removal, the better. Not only will it interrupt your normal browsing, you may also be subject to malicious programs, scams and other dangerous content.
How does Comet Search spread
In the majority of cases, hijackers are able to install because of freeware. Hijackers, like other infections in a method referred to as bundling programs, come attached to free software as extra offers. The thing about this method is that the extra items are preselected to install with the free software but are covered from users. The installations are not hard to prevent, however, as long as you pay attention to how you install software.
The most essential part is opting for Advanced (Custom) settings when installing freeware. The additional offers will be hidden in Default mode. You’ll get the choice of deselecting the items in Advanced settings because they will be unhidden. If you just deselect the items, that will be sufficient to prevent the undesired installations. Keep in mind that preventing unnecessary items from installing takes much less time in comparison to removing already installed threats. You will prevent loads of junk from installing if you pay attention to how you install programs.
Is the Comet Search dangerous
Hijackers are not complicated to see since they hijack browsers (Safari, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox) and cause redirects to weird sites. It’ll change your homepage and new tabs to its advertised web page and you’ll be led to it whenever your browser is launched. Something else that will be different is your search engine. Every time you use your browser address bar to search for something, you’ll be redirected to a website the hijacker is promoting and then get your search results. Sponsored content will be inserted into results so they’ll have little to do with what you were searching for. The redirects are carried out in order to generate site traffic and profit. The redirects will not only get on your nerves but they might also endanger your system. As long as the redirect virus is installed, it’s not advised to interact with any sponsored or advertisement content. You may be led to dangerous sponsored pages because hijackers don’t review whether they are secure. Those sites could be advertising scams or hosting malicious software. Hijackers don’t pose much danger to your system directly but you shouldn’t allow them to remain installed either.
It ought to also be noted that browser hijackers spy on users, and compile various information related their searches, visited sites, IP address and more. Unknown third-parties could also have access to the information and use it for their own purposes.
To summarize, the hijacker installed on your Mac without permission, made unwanted modifications to your browsers, started leading you to sponsored web pages in order to make revenue, and possibly exposed you to unreliable content. The sooner you remove Comet Search, the better.
Ways to remove Comet Search from your Mac computer
In order to ensure the process is successful, we strongly recommend you use spyware removal software to remove Comet Search. Using anti-spyware programs doesn’t need much effort and ensures the threat is gone entirely. If you know what you’re doing, you could try to uninstall Comet Search manually. If Comet Search elimination is successful, you may change your browser’s settings back to normal.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Comet SearchTo scan for Comet Search, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like Comet Search and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove Comet Search
- Delete Comet Search with anti-spyware software
- Manual Comet Search removal from Windows
- Manual Comet Search removal from Mac OS
- How to uninstall Comet Search from your Internet browser
- Uninstall Comet Search from Internet Explorer
- Comet Search deletion from Google Chrome
- Remove Comet Search from Mozilla Firefox
- How to uninstall Comet Search from Safari
- How to remove Comet Search from Microsoft Edge
Delete Comet Search with anti-spyware software
It’s easiest to delete Comet Search from both Macs and Windows devices via malware removal software such as anti-spyware. Anti-spyware programs can remove all types of infections so they shouldn’t have problems with Comet Search. These programs are very simple to operate and should have no trouble uninstalling Comet Search. If you scroll down, we’ll also explain manual Comet Search deletion.
Manual Comet Search removal from Windows
- Start – Settings – Control Panel.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Remove Comet Search.
- Check all installed applications for other dubious programs and get rid of them.
- Press Start (the windows logo) or press the windows key – Control Panel.
- Access Programs and Features – Uninstall a program.
- Locate Comet Search and remove it.
- Do the same with any other dubious application you are unfamiliar with.
- Right-click on Start – Programs and Features.
- Remove Comet Search.
- Look through all installed applications for anything else that’s suspicious and remove them.
Manual Comet Search removal from Mac OS
You should not have any problems with deleting Comet Search from your Mac device. But we will also guide you through removing some remaining files after Comet Search removal.
- Finder – Applications.
- Locate Comet Search and trash it (the trash icon located on the dock).
- We also suggest going through all other programs to see if anything else is suspicious.
- Click Go located on the menu bar and then Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and drag all suspicious files to the trash.
- Return to Go to Folder, and type /Library/Application Support. If you notice any other dubious files, trash them.
- Access Go to Folder again, and put in ~/Library/LaunchAgents. Search for any recently-added or otherwise questionable files and put them in the trash.
- Access Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/LaunchDaemons. Drag all dubious files to the trash.
- Don’t forget to empty the trash which you may do by right-clicking on the trash icon and clicking Empty Trash.
How to uninstall Comet Search from your Internet browser
Uninstall Comet Search from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Access Manage Add-ons via the menu bar (the gear icon at the top-right corner of the screen).
- Find any extension you cannot identify as well as Comet Search and uninstall it/them by selecting them and clicking Remove.
- Access Internet Options through browser menu (the gear icon).
- Open the General tab and change your homepage to a page of your preference.
- Click the gear icon (top-right corner), and click on Manage Add-ons.
- Press Search Providers (from the left side menu, set the search engine after you delete the one set by Comet Search.
Your browser’s settings will need to be reset if Comet Search is still there.
- For Windows XP users, press start and press on Run and put in inetcpl.cpl, proceed to the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- If your computer is running Windows Vista/7, click the windows logo, type in inetcpl.cpl in the search box and press Enter. Proceed to the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- If you’re using Windows 8/10, launch Internet Explorer, gear icon – Internet Options – Advanced tab – Reset. Click Reset again.
Comet Search deletion from Google Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Open the menu by clicking the three dots at the top-right corner of the screen, then More tools and Extensions.
- Find all unknown extensions, as well as Comet Search, and remove them.
- Open Settings via the menu (the three dots top right-corner).
- Access On startup, you’ll see a homepage set by Comet Search, set it to one of your choice.
- Proceed to Search engine from the menu tab on the left, click Manage search engines, modify your search engine from the one set by Comet Search to something else.
In case you are still struggling with Comet Search, it’ll be necessary to reset your browser’s settings to default.
- Launch Google Chrome, click on the three dots on the top-right corner of the screen, open Settings.
- Go down, press on Advanced and scroll down until you see Reset.
- Press Reset and affirm your choice.
Remove Comet Search from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Menu (the three top right corner bars) – Add-ons.
- Click on Extensions, look for Comet Search and any other unfamiliar extension, and delete them.
- Access Preferences via the menu (the three dots).
- If you go to the Home tab, you’ll see a homepage set by Comet Search, set it to one of your choice.
- Access the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, change your search engine.
If Comet Search is still present, your browser’s settings may need to be restored to default.
- Menu (the three bars) – Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Click Refresh Firefox.
- Click Refresh Firefox again.
How to uninstall Comet Search from Safari
- Launch Safari.
- Safari (from the menu bar at the top) – Preferences.
- Navigate to the Extensions tab, find Comet Search and any other unfamiliar extension, and remove them.
- You will need to modify your homepage in the General tab.
- Proceed to the Search tab, change your search engine from the one set by Comet Search to something of your choice.
If you are still having problems, you will need to reset your browser’s settings.
- Clear History by clicking on Safari (the menu bar) when the browser is running, and select Clear History.
- Click Safari (from the top menu) again – Preferences – Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- You will see the Develop menu at the top, click on that and click on Empty Caches.
How to remove Comet Search from Microsoft Edge
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Menu (the three dots at the top-right corner) – Extensions.
- Locate and delete Comet Search, and any other extension you cannot identify.
- Menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- Navigate to the On startup tab, set the homepage of your preference instead of the one set by Comet Search.
- Navigate to Privacy and services tab, change your search engine from the one Comet Search set for you to something else.
If that did not solve your problems, you will need to reset your browser’s settings to default.
- Open Microsoft Edge menu (the three dots) – Settings – Reset settings.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Reset.