Burst Search Removal
What is Burst Search
Burst Search is a questionable search engine promoted by a browser hijacker. Browser hijackers are pretty minor infections that change browser’s settings and try to redirect users to sponsored websites. In order to perform those redirects, hijackers force users to use questionable search engines like Burst Search that alter results and insert sponsored links among legitimate results. If this hijacker is installed on your computer, your browser’s homepage will also be changed to find.burstsearch.com.
Hijackers mainly aim to redirect users, and aren’t actually that dangerous. However, because they try to redirect users to various sites and change browser’s settings, they are very annoying. Moreover, the sites users are redirected to will not always be safe, meaning users could be exposed to malicious content and scams.
We highly recommend you remove Burst Search if it’s installed. While not directly dangerous, its redirects may put your computer in danger. Furthermore, you probably didn’t even install it intentionally. Browser hijackers use software bundling to spread as it basically allows them to sneak past users and install without permission. Most programs that use this method are classified as potentially unwanted programs (PUP), as the method is quite frowned upon.
How do browser hijackers install
It’s very unlikely that you somehow installed the extension yourself, as there are thousands of identical ones. What is more likely is that it installed via software bundling. Software bundling, as the name implies, is adding additional offers to programs. Those offers are usually adware, browser hijackers and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs). They are set to install alongside the freeware automatically, unless users manually deselect them. Most users don’t do that because they aren’t aware of anything being attached in the first place, as the offers are hidden.
It’s not difficult to prevent the unwanted offers from installing, as long as you pay attention to how you install programs. Read the information shown during freeware setup, and when given the option, opt for Advanced (Custom) settings. Those settings will make the offers visible, and allow you to deselect them. The setup will say that Default settings are recommended but if you choose them, the offers will be hidden and install alongside the freeware.
Some of the offers added to freeware may seem useful. However, we do not recommend allowing any of them to install, as nothing will come from it. Programs that try to sneak past you and install without permission should not be permitted to install.
What does a browser hijacker do?
Browser hijacker infections are very obvious because they change browser’s settings as soon as they install. This particular hijacker will set find.burstsearch.com as your homepage and new tabs, and force you to use a different search engine. These changes will be done to all popular browsers, such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. The changes will be irreversible while the hijacker remains installed as it will change the settings again if you try to undo. Until you remove Burst Search, you are stuck with the hijacker’s site loading every time you open your browser.
The site set as your homepage is pretty standard. It has scenic background that changes every time you visit the site, a clock and search box. If you perform a search via the box, you will be redirected to Yahoo Search. Yahoo Search is a legitimate search engine and is completely safe to use, but the hijacker is essentially forcing you to use it. Furthermore, there is no need to use a third-party website to access Yahoo when you can go to it directly.
We should mention that the hijacker will likely track how you’re browsing the Internet. It will record what sites you visit, what you search for, your IP address, etc. This information is often shared with third-parties as well.
Burst Search removal
If you suddenly find this hijacker installed on your computer, we strongly recommend you delete Burst Search using anti-spyware software. Manually removing hijackers can be tricky, particularly if you have little experience, as they are pretty persistent infections. Thus, using anti-spyware software would be much quicker and easier.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Burst SearchTo scan for Burst Search, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like Burst Search and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove Burst Search
- Remove Burst Search with anti-spyware software
- Manual Burst Search removal from Windows
- Manual Burst Search removal from Mac OS
- How to uninstall Burst Search from your Internet browser
- Uninstall Burst Search from Internet Explorer
- How to uninstall Burst Search from Google Chrome
- Remove Burst Search from Mozilla Firefox
- How to delete Burst Search from Safari
- Burst Search removal from Microsoft Edge
Remove Burst Search with anti-spyware software
The easiest way to remove Burst Search from both your Mac and Windows devices would be to use anti-spyware or some other malware removal software. These types of applications are developed to delete all kinds of threats so they should have no issues with Burst Search. These programs are easy enough to use and should have no trouble uninstalling Burst Search. But if you continue reading, you’ll also find instructions that explain manual Burst Search deletion.
Manual Burst Search removal from Windows
- Start – Settings – Control Panel.
- Click on Add or Remove Programs.
- Uninstall Burst Search.
- Look through the programs you’ve installed, and uninstall anything else questionable.
- Open Control Panel by pressing Start and then Control Panel.
- Pick Programs and Features and then Uninstall a program.
- Find Burst Search and delete it.
- We also recommend checking through all other applications to see if anything else is suspicious.
- You will have to access Programs and Features by right-clicking on Start and selecting Programs and Features.
- Delete Burst Search.
- If you see any other applications you do not recognise, delete them as well.
Manual Burst Search removal from Mac OS
Removing Burst Search from your Mac computer is pretty simple. But in addition to uninstalling the software, you’ll also need to remove any leftover files.
- Access Finder – Applications.
- Put Burst Search into the trash.
- Do the same with any other dubious application you are not familiar with.
- In the menu bar, press Go – Go to Folder.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and put to the trash any questionable and recently-added files.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and type /Library/Application Support. trash any suspicious and recently-added files.
- Access Go to Folder again, and type ~/Library/LaunchAgents. trash any dubious and recently-added files.
- Access Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/LaunchDaemons. Look for any recently-added or otherwise dubious files and trash them.
- You’ll need to right-click on the trash icon and press Empty Trash.
How to uninstall Burst Search from your Internet browser
Uninstall Burst Search from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Open Manage Add-ons through the menu bar (the gear icon at the top-right).
- Click Remove on Burst Search and all extensions you aren’t familiar with.
- Press the gear icon (top-right corner), and then Internet Options.
- If you open the General tab, you will be able to change your homepage page.
- Click the gear icon (top-right corner), and select Manage Add-ons.
- Press Search Providers (from the left side menu, set the search engine after you delete the one Burst Search set as the default.
Your browser’s settings will have to be reset if you’re still having issues with Burst Search.
- If your device is running Windows XP, Start – Run, type inetcpl.cpl, proceed to the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- If you’re using Windows Vista/7, click the windows logo, type in inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Open the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- For Windows 8/10 users, launch Internet Explorer, click the gear icon, press Internet Options, access the Advanced tab and click on Reset. Click Reset again to confirm.
How to uninstall Burst Search from Google Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Menu (the three dots) – More tools – Extensions.
- Find Burst Search and any other unknown extension, and remove them.
- Click the three dots top-right corner of the screen and press on Settings.
- Access On startup, you will see a homepage set by Burst Search, set it to one of your preference.
- Open the Search engine section from the menu on the left, access Manage search engines, change your search engine from the one Burst Search set for you to something of your preference.
You’ll need to restore browser’s settings to default if you’re still having issues with Burst Search.
- Launch Google Chrome, access menu (the three dots), press Settings.
- Scroll down, click Advanced and go down until you see Reset.
- Click Reset and confirm your choice.
Remove Burst Search from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Click the menu (the three bars), and press Add-ons.
- Open Extensions, identify all unknown extensions, as well as Burst Search, and delete them.
- Open Preferences via the menu (the three dots).
- You will need to modify your homepage in the Home tab.
- Go to the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, change your search engine from the one set by Burst Search to something of your choice.
If you’re still having issues, your browser’s settings will need to be reset.
- When Mozilla Firefox is open, access the menu (the three bars), Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- Confirm your choice by pressing Refresh Firefox again.
How to delete Burst Search from Safari
- Open Safari.
- Safari (from the menu bar at the top) – Preferences.
- Open the Extensions tab, identify all unfamiliar extensions, as well as Burst Search, and remove them.
- You will have to modify your homepage in the General tab.
- Go to the Search tab, delete the search engine set by Burst Search and change it to one of your preference.
If you’re still having problems, your browser’s settings will have to be reset.
- Launch Safari, click on Safari on the menu bar, and press Clear History.
- Press on Safari on the menu bar, press Preferences and navigate to the Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- Press Develop (on the menu bar) and then on Empty Caches.
Burst Search removal from Microsoft Edge
- Launch Microsoft Edge.
- Press the three dots at the top-right corner of the screen, and press Extensions.
- Locate all extensions you do not know, as well as Burst Search, and delete them.
- Open menu (the three dots), click Settings.
- You will have to change your homepage in On Startup.
- Go to Privacy and services tab, delete the search engine Burst Search set for you and set it to one of your choice.
If that did not solve your issues, your browser’s settings will have to be restored.
- Launch Microsoft Edge, access menu (the three dots), select Settings, open the Reset settings tab.
- Press on Restore settings to their default values. Confirm the reset.