Aura Search Removal [Explained]
What is Aura Search
Aura Search browser hijacker is also referred to as a redirect virus, and is generally a Mac infection. Because they’re not directly damaging, browser hijackers aren’t dangerous infections even if a lot of users call them viruses. Hijackers’ main intent is to redirect users to sponsored pages and generate traffic/profit, which is why they aren’t harmless infections. Hijackers use very sly methods to install but once they’re in, their presence become very noticeable. You will be randomly redirected by your browser to random web pages, and you will see sponsored content in your search results. Users who are not familiar with what redirect viruses are might not realize the strange behaviour is a symptom of the infection. A simple search of the signs/website redirected to with Google generally points users in the right direction.
The hijacker will not only redirect you, but modifications will also be made to your browser. Every time you open it, you browser will have a different homepage/new tabs, and these modifications might be complicated to reverse. By changing your browser’s settings, hijackers can redirect you.
Many users think of hijackers as malicious software or viruses, which is not true, meaning they don’t simply install without requiring your consent. Users install them unintentionally, but they do it themselves. Hijackers, among other infections like adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) are added to free software as added items, and along with the free software, users end up installing the attached items as well. Continue to the proceeding section to discover how you can prevent these undesirable installations next time you are installing an application.
We suggest you remove Aura Search immediately, even if it’s not a severe infection in comparison. Keep in mind that you could be exposed to quite unreliable content, including malicious programs and scams, in addition to your usual browsing being disturbed.
Browser hijacker distribution methods
We’ve said this above, but free software is often the reason hijackers are able to install. Hijackers, like other infections in a method called bundling programs, come added to free software as extra items. At first, the offers are concealed and are preselected to install by default, which means users have to manually stop it from installing together with the freeware. The installations are fairly easily preventable, however, as long as you follow how you install software.
During free software installation, it is vital to opt for Advanced (Custom) settings. The items won’t be made visible if you pick Default mode. Selecting Advanced settings makes all offers visible and you’ll be able to deselect everything. It is enough to simply deselect the items, and they’ll be blocked from installing. Once infections are already installed, it takes much more time to eliminate them, compared to avoiding their installation from the very beginning. It’s worth saying that your PC will be rubbish-free if you actually follow the installation process.
What does the hijacker do
Redirect viruses aren’t hard to notice as they hijack browsers (Safari, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox) and cause redirects to random pages. The hijacker will change your browser’s settings so that its promoted site is set as the homepage, and every time your browser is opened, that’s the website you’ll see. You will also recognize that modifications to the search engine have been made. The hijacker will show you changed search results by redirecting you to its sponsored web page when you search using browser address bar. Keep your eye out for sponsored content which might be mixed in with the legitimate results. The hijacker carries out those redirects so it could generate site traffic and revenue. A random redirect can be particularly aggravating, and the websites might also be harmful. Interacting with sponsored or advertisement content while the redirect virus is installed isn’t recommended. You might be redirected to unsecure sponsored sites because hijackers do not review their safety. You could be led to a malware-infected websites, or one that is advertising scams. Even if hijackers do not do direct damage to your device, they should not be allowed to stay installed.
The hijacker will also gather data about what you search for, what content you interact with, the sites you visit or frequent, your IP address, etc, it’s basically spying on you. It is doubtful that you want the hijacker to record that information, let alone share it with unknown third-parties.
If you are still wondering whether the hijacker is a threat, it installed on your Mac without asking for explicit authorization, made changes to your browser’s settings, and wants to redirect you to sponsored web pages which might be hosting harmful content. While the threat may not appear that serious, Aura Search elimination is paramount.
Ways to delete Aura Search from your Mac computer
So as to guarantee the process is successful, we strongly recommend you use spyware removal programs to delete Aura Search. Anti-spyware programs are created to assist users in dealing with threats of this type. You could attempt manual Aura Search removal, and as long as you know how to do it that should not cause issues. You’ll be able to change back your browser’s settings with no problems after Aura Search deletion
Download Removal Toolto scan for Aura SearchTo scan for Aura Search, use our recommended security tool. The trial version of WiperSoft detects infections like Aura Search and can assist with their removal for free. You can delete detected files, registry entries and processes manually, or you can purchase the full version of the program for automatic removal.
WiperSoft is an anti-virus program with real-time threat detection and malware removal features. It detects all types of computer threats, from adware and browser hijackers to trojans, and easily removes them.
ComboCleaner is an anti-virus and system optimization program for Mac computers. The program will keep your Mac secure from different types of malware, as well as clean it to keep it running smoothly.
Malwarebytes is a powerful anti-virus program that detects and removes all types of malware, as well as less serious threats like adware and browser hijackers. It has both free and paid versions.
How to remove Aura Search
- Automatic Aura Search removal
- Manual Aura Search removal from Windows
- Uninstall Aura Search from your Mac OS manually
- Aura Search removal from your Internet browser
- How to uninstall Aura Search from Internet Explorer
- Aura Search removal from Google Chrome
- How to remove Aura Search from Mozilla Firefox
- How to remove Aura Search from Safari
- Aura Search removal from Microsoft Edge
Automatic Aura Search removal
We recommend using security software like anti-spyware for Aura Search removal because it is the easiest. Anti-spyware programs can remove all kinds of threats so they should have no issues with Aura Search. These programs are simple enough to operate and ought to have no trouble removing Aura Search. If you carry on reading, we’ll also explain manual Aura Search removal.
Manual Aura Search removal from Windows
- Push the windows key on the keyboard to access Start menu (or simply click Start), then click Settings and finally Control Panel.
- Choose Add or Remove Programs.
- Locate and uninstall Aura Search.
- If you see any other suspicious applications, remove them as well.
- Open Control Panel by pressing Start and then Control Panel.
- Open Programs and Features – Uninstall a program.
- Remove Aura Search.
- Look through all applications installed on your system for anything else that is questionable and remove them.
- Right-click on Start and select Programs and Features.
- Delete Aura Search.
- Do the same with any other program that causes suspicion.
Uninstall Aura Search from your Mac OS manually
Removing Aura Search from your Mac is not complicated. But we will also guide you through deleting some remaining files after Aura Search removal.
- Finder – Applications.
- Find Aura Search and put it to the trash (the trash icon on the dock).
- It’s also suggested to go through all other programs to see if anything else is suspicious.
- If you click Go on the menu bar, you will see Go to Folder, press that.
- Type /Library/LaunchAgents, and drag to the trash any suspicious and recently-added files.
- Access Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/Application Support. If Any recently-added files look suspicious, trash them.
- Go back to Go to Folder, and type ~/Library/LaunchAgents. If you note any suspicious and recently added files, trash them.
- Open Go to Folder again, and put in /Library/LaunchDaemons. Search for any recently-added or otherwise questionable files and put them in the trash.
- Don’t forget to empty the trash which you can do by right-clicking on the trash icon and clicking Empty Trash.
Aura Search removal from your Internet browser
How to uninstall Aura Search from Internet Explorer
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Press on the gear icon located at the top-right corner, and select Manage Add-ons.
- Delete Aura Search and any other extension you’re not familiar with by clicking on them and pressing Remove.
- Click the gear icon (top-right corner), and pick Internet Options.
- If you access the General tab, you’ll be able to alter your homepage website.
- Press on the gear icon (top-right corner), and select Manage Add-ons.
- Click Search Providers (from the left side menu, set the search engine after you remove the one set by Aura Search.
Resetting your browser’s settings to default will probably be necessary if you’re still having problems with Aura Search.
- If your computer is running Windows XP, Start – Run, type in inetcpl.cpl, proceed to the Advanced tab and click Reset.
- If your device is running Windows Vista/7, press the windows logo, type inetcpl.cpl in the search box and click Enter. Proceed to the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- If your device is running Windows 8/10, launch Internet Explorer, gear icon – Internet Options – Advanced tab – Reset. Confirm the reset by pressing Reset again.
Aura Search removal from Google Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Access the menu by clicking the three dots at the top-right corner, then More tools and Extensions.
- Locate and delete Aura Search, and any other unknown extension.
- Open Settings via the menu (the three dots top right-corner).
- In the On startup section, set the homepage of your choice instead of the one set by Aura Search.
- Go to Search engine from the menu tab on the left, access Manage search engines, delete the search engine set by Aura Search and set it to one of your choice.
You might have to restore browser’s settings to default if Aura Search is still giving you issues.
- Launch Google Chrome, click on the three dots on the top-right corner, press Settings.
- Scroll down, press on Advanced and go down until you see Reset.
- Press Reset and affirm your choice.
How to remove Aura Search from Mozilla Firefox
- Launch Mozilla Firefox.
- Open Add-ons via the menu (the three bars).
- Access Extensions, find and remove Aura Search, and any other unknown extension.
- Menu (the three bars) – Preferences.
- In the Home tab, set your preferred homepage instead of the one set by Aura Search.
- Proceed to the Search tab from the menu tab on the left, modify your search engine.
If you’re still having issues with Aura Search, it may be necessary to restore your browser’s settings to default.
- Menu (the three bars) – Help – Troubleshoot information.
- Click on Refresh Firefox in the new window.
- Press Refresh Firefox again.
How to remove Aura Search from Safari
- Launch Safari.
- Click Safari from the menu bar, and press on Preferences.
- Navigate to the Extensions tab, find Aura Search and any other unfamiliar extension, and remove them.
- In the General tab, set the homepage of your choice instead of the one set by Aura Search.
- Access the Search tab, modify your search engine from the one Aura Search set for you to something else.
Resetting your browser’s settings to default will likely be necessary if Aura Search is still present.
- Clear History by pressing on Safari (the menu bar) when the browser is open, and click on Clear History.
- Press on Safari (from the menu bar at the top), click on Preferences and access to the Advanced tab.
- Tick the Show Develop menu in menu bar box.
- Click on Develop on the menu bar and select Empty Caches.
Aura Search removal from Microsoft Edge
- Open Microsoft Edge.
- Menu (the three dots at the top-right corner) – Extensions.
- Find and remove Aura Search, and any other unfamiliar extension.
- Menu (the three dots) – Settings.
- In the On startup tab, delete the site Aura Search set as your homepage and set your preferred one.
- Open the Privacy and services tab, change your search engine from the one set by Aura Search to something of your preference.
If you’re still having trouble, you will have to reset your browser’s settings to default.
- Open Microsoft Edge, press on the three dots, select Settings, press on the Reset settings tab.
- Select Restore settings to their default values. Reset.